• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rising Storm preview on PC Gamer

I really hope to see more classic server or atleast enough realism server who deactivate it. Weapons like the Dp-28 are more rare in RO2 then the Mkb42 because nearly every experienced machinegunner pick the MG34 because it is the better choice.

Of course the choice is up to you and I won't play the realism card but this completly breaks the immersion for me. In RO2 sometimes more then half of the team spawn with enemy weapon.

Upvote 0
... and what others have said.

This. It should be off by default. Its fine having the choice as TWI has always stated, but seriously you have to question why its not off by default with the choice of server admins to turn it on? It really is little things like this added up with others that make you/us question decisions. When you actually think about it, can you see why some players say you are trying to make the game appear more COD-like?*

*as I have said, I don't think ROHOS plays anything like COD, but little features here and there like this are more likely to annoy your base players and appear to be a play to cater to the COD type crowd
the same problem is with the native voice overs...you rarely hear them on youtube...its only english with an fake russian/german accent:(

i think native voice overs should be ON by default,and fake english voice overs optional.
just like mr.Moe said "It really is little things"

Upvote 0
the same problem is with the native voice overs...you rarely hear them on youtube...its only english with an fake russian/german accent:(

This video really threw me when i first watched it:

RO2 - Tokarev TT-33 Ammo Check - YouTube

very similar commands given by the Germans but with Faux Russian accents, I then realised it was someone playing with the German version of the game....I think.

Upvote 0
This video really threw me when i first watched it:

RO2 - Tokarev TT-33 Ammo Check - YouTube

very similar commands given by the Germans but with Faux Russian accents, I then realised it was someone playing with the German version of the game....I think.
tumblr_lyq8eic3HQ1qegw8v.png

this is horrible,just like watching this...
Der Soldat James Ryan - YouTube

Upvote 0
Core systems from RO2 are still there, including weapon unlocks, and being able to choose from certain enemy weapons. The enemy weapons that can be chosen are similar in firepower/ROF. So bolts for bolts, SMG for SMG, etc. No US guys will be spawning with swords, Japanese won't be spawning with Garands, etc.

Speaking of realistic, someone should tell this guy he wasn't being realistic back in WWII:

[url]http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=6184
[/URL]

Soldiers didn't just pick up weapons off the battlefield and then pitch them. Soldiers would pick up weapons and use them as their primary weapon for multiple battles if they liked them. That is what we are simulating in game, something that a soldier picked up in a previous battle.

Either way, there are game modes, and server settings so that you can disable this if you don't like it, just like in RO2.

I disagree with you, maybe this is one thing where "realism" is not good for gameplay.

Have you some data to support your position in enemy weapon unlock?Because I spoke with a lot of people, "hater and lover", this is one point which is considered negative by everyone. Everyone think that these unlock ruin realism mode, together with perks improvements.

Upvote 0
Let me RE-clarify my statement that I made before, as some seem to have glossed over it and then read into it something that wasn't there. In RS the players can unlock the ability to spawn with certain enemy weapons. But only weapons that are similar. All of the asymmetrical gameplay elements are intact either way. US won't be spawning with knee mortars or katanas, they won't be doing banzai charges or planting boobytraps. Japanese won't be spawning with flamethrowers and M1 Garands. When there isn't something similar on the enemy team, we don't let you spawn with it in RS.

Regarding the realism aspect, I get what you guys are saying I really do. But as I mentioned before we bend the rules when they make sense for gameplay. One thing I think a lot of you miss, is that players go to servers where they have the most fun, and server admins set up their servers with what options they think will keep their servers full. It's a self regulating system. If the majority of the playing community (not just people voting on polls in forums) wanted the game to be really hardcore and by the book realistic, you'd have most of the full servers running classic mode or realism mode with classic weapon loadouts.

As it stands, the community struggles to keep a classic mode server full, has a couple of realism mode with classic weapon loadouts, and the vast majority of servers are standard realism mode. And I don't believe they run stock realism because they can't figure out how to change the options on their server. These server admins are smart guys. They figure out how to set up the list of maps they want to run, they can easily change one option in web admin and turn on "Classic Mode Weapon Loadouts" to get exactly what you are talking about.

At the core here for me is that some people want to force the community to play their vision of how a realism game should play for their own enjoyment, even if those other people aren't having as much fun as a result. That just isn't fair to the community of players that are enjoying the game as released.

Now I'm fully committed to all elements of the community, ranging from the action guys all the way up to the most hardcore of the hardcore. I want to give you the options to play the game the way YOU want, and make it as easy as possible for server admins to set that up, and for you to find them. We're looking at some things we can do for game set up, and in the server browser to make it easier to find the game set ups you want.

I know I'm going to get a lot of grief for this post, but I would suggest rather than making 50 more posts telling me how wrong I am, prove yourself right on the battlefield. Go get all your hardcore realism buddies and fill up the Classic mode servers, or the servers running Realism mode with classic weapon loadouts (I think Mike Nomad runs a server like that). Show me that there IS a big community of hardcore players by filling up those types of servers because full servers speak louder than words.

Upvote 0
I know I'm going to get a lot of grief for this post, but I would suggest rather than making 50 more posts telling me how wrong I am, prove yourself right on the battlefield. Go get all your hardcore realism buddies and fill up the Classic mode servers, or the servers running Realism mode with classic weapon loadouts (I think Mike Nomad runs a server like that). Show me that there IS a big community of hardcore players by filling up those types of servers because full servers speak louder than words.

111iuf.gif

Upvote 0
When it comes to classic I think the main issue is that key aspects of classic are very good while other elements are not. A lot of people like the weapon loadouts in classic but they dont really like stuff like the movement speed etc. The problem is that I guess none of the RO2 base maps were planned with classic in mind and most maps simply do not really work well in classic mode at all. To me this is the biggest reason while classic mode is rarely played on servers.

The next thing is something that is pretty much peer pressure. A lot of server admins will use the default settings not because they are so great but because most other servers use the same settings. Stepping out of this is not easy for a server admin. Keep in mind that RO2 has (sadly) not a lot of active players and usually people connect to the server with the most people on. If you step out of the line with a server you are in danger that people not a lot people will connect to it. Servers cost money and nobody likes to pay the rent for a server that is empty most of the time. This is pretty much the same issue I see with bots on server. Nobody likes to play against or with bots (unless you want to grind your stats). However most servers have them enables because everyone else has it.

Upvote 0
In RS the players can unlock the ability to spawn with certain enemy weapons. But only weapons that are similar.

That's perfectly comprehensible. You said SMG for SMG, implying Thompson for Type 100. Bolt for bolt, implying Springfield for Type 38/99. Probably the sniper rifles as well. Pistols are a strong likelihood.

Machine guns? For all I know, you might well be allowing BAR/Type 99 LMG spawning as well.

Perfectly understandable!

To be fair, though, a server browser that allows people to tell what settings are being used by each custom and realism server would go a long way towards making the whole thing less of a guessing game. Altering the loading screen description for Classic Mode and making it sound like something positive and fun as opposed to a game mode where "some functionality is disabled" would also level the playing field somewhat.

In a way, the fact that everyone plays Realism may somewhat reflect that people do want the most realistic experience possible. Some players out there have probably never tried anything else--they set their server browser to what they assumed to be the most realistic mode, and left it at that, not knowing any better and not knowing what the other options were. People probably don't even know that there are alternative server settings with realistic loadouts--how can they ask for them from server admins if they don't know they exist?

I might suggest putting something like this into server descriptions:
Server Settings: Custom
Weapon handling: Realism or Hardcore
Team Weapon Loadouts: Standard or Historical
Movement: Realism or Classic

I have a friend who recently bought the game and quite understandably had literally no idea what the difference between modes was for weeks before I explained it to him in detail--the game hardly makes the process of natural selection smooth. Heck, I'm sure not even Evan Lahti has a good idea what Classic Mode is. ;)

Level the playing field, make it clear what mode is what mode and what server settings are available, and if we still have trouble filling hardcore servers, then I'll agree with you that when given the choice, people find your definition of Realism more fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Regarding the realism aspect, I get what you guys are saying I really do. But as I mentioned before we bend the rules when they make sense for gameplay. One thing I think a lot of you miss, is that players go to servers where they have the most fun, and server admins set up their servers with what options they think will keep their servers full. It's a self regulating system. If the majority of the playing community (not just people voting on polls in forums) wanted the game to be really hardcore and by the book realistic, you'd have most of the full servers running classic mode or realism mode with classic weapon loadouts.

That would be true if classic mode were in the game from the beginning and specially if it was the "default" mode.

As it stands, the community struggles to keep a classic mode server full, has a couple of realism mode with classic weapon loadouts, and the vast majority of servers are standard realism mode. And I don't believe they run stock realism because they can't figure out how to change the options on their server. These server admins are smart guys. They figure out how to set up the list of maps they want to run, they can easily change one option in web admin and turn on "Classic Mode Weapon Loadouts" to get exactly what you are talking about.

That's because most of the people that would like/play classic mode weren't even playing the game anymore by the time it was implemented.

At the core here for me is that some people want to force the community to play their vision of how a realism game should play for their own enjoyment, even if those other people aren't having as much fun as a result. That just isn't fair to the community of players that are enjoying the game as released.

Just as it wasn't fair to the community of players that were expecting something along the lines of classic mode from the get go.

ps.:

It's kinda catch 22 situation... I can't get my RO1 buddies to play RO2 because the game mechanics aren't appealing to them... :(

pps.:

When it comes to classic I think the main issue is that key aspects of classic are very good while other elements are not. A lot of people like the weapon loadouts in classic but they dont really like stuff like the movement speed etc. The problem is that I guess none of the RO2 base maps were planned with classic in mind and most maps simply do not really work well in classic mode at all. To me this is the biggest reason while classic mode is rarely played on servers.

The next thing is something that is pretty much peer pressure. A lot of server admins will use the default settings not because they are so great but because most other servers use the same settings. Stepping out of this is not easy for a server admin. Keep in mind that RO2 has (sadly) not a lot of active players and usually people connect to the server with the most people on. If you step out of the line with a server you are in danger that people not a lot people will connect to it. Servers cost money and nobody likes to pay the rent for a server that is empty most of the time. This is pretty much the same issue I see with bots on server. Nobody likes to play against or with bots (unless you want to grind your stats). However most servers have them enables because everyone else has it.

That's perfectly comprehensible. You said SMG for SMG, implying Thompson for Type 100. Bolt for bolt, implying Springfield for Type 38/99. Probably the sniper rifles as well. Pistols are a strong likelihood.

Machine guns? For all I know, you might well be allowing BAR/Type 99 LMG spawning as well.

Perfectly understandable!

To be fair, though, a server browser that allows people to tell what settings are being used by each custom and realism server would go a long way towards making the whole thing less of a guessing game. Altering the loading screen description for Classic Mode and making it sound like something positive and fun as opposed to a game mode where "some functionality is disabled" would also level the playing field somewhat.

In a way, the fact that everyone plays Realism may somewhat reflect that people do want the most realistic experience possible. Some players out there have probably never tried anything else--they set their server browser to what they assumed to be the most realistic mode, and left it at that, not knowing any better and not knowing what the other options were. People probably don't even know that there are alternative server settings with realistic loadouts--how can they ask for them from server admins if they don't know they exist?

I might suggest putting something like this into server descriptions:
Server Settings: Custom
Weapon handling: Realism or Hardcore
Team Weapon Loadouts: Standard or Historical
Movement: Realism or Classic

I have a friend who recently bought the game and quite understandably had literally no idea what the difference between modes was for weeks before I explained it to him in detail--the game hardly makes the process of natural selection smooth. Heck, I'm sure not even Evan Lahti has a good idea what Classic Mode is. ;)

Level the playing field, make it clear what mode is what mode and what server settings are available, and if we still have trouble filling hardcore servers, then I'll agree with you that when given the choice, people find your definition of Realism more fun.

Pretty much all of this!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When there isn't something similar on the enemy team, we don't let you spawn with it in RS.

AFAIK, that would only apply to Katanas, mortars, mines, flame throwers and M1's? So, you'll quickly have the Japanese running around with Thompsons and BAR's..... Guaranteed. :(

It really should be default off, it's a hard sell that people flock to RO2 now because they can spawn with MKB's and MG34 on either side.

Go get all your hardcore realism buddies and fill up the Classic mode servers, or the servers running Realism mode with classic weapon loadouts (I think Mike Nomad runs a server like that). Show me that there IS a big community of hardcore players by filling up those types of servers because full servers speak louder than words.

Challenge accepted.

Since it seems most of the people who would favor Classic are long gone, do us a favor and modify the server browser so Custom servers show up alongside Ranked ones and change the "Classic" title and description to something more accurate and enticing to a new player. It'd go a long way in helping to build a following for both Classic and servers with custom settings.

Upvote 0
Let me RE-clarify my statement that I made before, as some seem to have glossed over it and then read into it something that wasn't there. In RS the players can unlock the ability to spawn with certain enemy weapons. But only weapons that are similar. All of the asymmetrical gameplay elements are intact either way. US won't be spawning with knee mortars or katanas, they won't be doing banzai charges or planting boobytraps. Japanese won't be spawning with flamethrowers and M1 Garands. When there isn't something similar on the enemy team, we don't let you spawn with it in RS.

So what adds this to the game if they are similar beside breaking immersion? If they are similar, why the need to let a player spawn with an enemy weapon? Because it's cool? Funky? I really don't understand.

I think you may not base yourself on that unless the server browser is revised. The server browser needs some refining, because I think alot of people play on realism server because they don't know any better. Rename "realism" to "standard' to take away to suggestion to get a more realistic experience in "realism" mode. This may not always be true for some people.
And the smallest change a server admin makes to his server settings will turn it into Custom mode, making the server even more difficult to be found.
I think if the server browser is revised, take a look again, and I'm sure you will see a shift in what mode gets more attention. Until then, it's biased in my opinion.

You are absolutely right, but it could help if the server browser would get fixed, and the bugs will get some fixing.
I enjoy RO2, but I can get frustrated alot by it too. Not what I'm looking for when I want to relax and play a match.

Thanks for replying.

Upvote 0
Just a word of advice- you shouldn't throw around the word "jap" any more than you'd throw around the n word

Naggers ? :D

I'm also for not having enemy weapons by default. A Japanese soldier running with a Thompson wouldn't seem really right to my eyes, and it seems to work against the nice asymmetrical ideas.

Other than that, RS looks to be a very nice expansion if it is finally released

Upvote 0
AFAIK, that would only apply to Katanas, mortars, mines, flame throwers and M1's? So, you'll quickly have the Japanese running around with Thompsons and BAR's..... Guaranteed. :(

It really should be default off, it's a hard sell that people flock to RO2 now because they can spawn with MKB's and MG34 on either side.

I just threw up. It's ro2 all over again. Give it 6 months and everyone will have the enemies weapons unlocked.. This is the main reason I didn't want to see TWI get involved with this Mod. I guess my fears came true. UNLOCKS for ALL!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really hope server admins will shut this off, if not, go ask them to, take it to a vote etc. I just wish this was reversed, so enemy weapon unlocks are off by default, and the people who actually want enemy weapon unlocks can turn them on instead of us having to find a server without them or ask server admins to turn them off.

Upvote 0