• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We Are Up To - Barashka

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    barashka1.jpg

A long railroad bridge, scattered buildings, bunkers facing each other across a long gully. Sound familiar?

For long time Red Orchestra fans it should, because I'm talking about Barashka, the next official map for Red Orchestra 2. Featuring combined arms gameplay and thrilling cat and mouse chases between infantry and armor as they duel for control over territory, we are bringing this classic RO map back to life.

barashka2.jpg

While its full facelift underway to bring it up to RO 2 standards, we will shortly be adding it to the stand alone beta so players can help us with feedback on gameplay. We look forward to playing this classic map with the community again (and it is quickly becoming one of my favorites)!

A lot of community members have been asking when we'll be adding more vehicles to the game, particularly troop transports. The short answer is that we've shifted around our plans a bit and additional vehicles are something that we're still looking to add, but won't be coming in the really near future. This is partially due to Rising Storm catching us by surprise - in a good way! Once we played the early versions of Rising Storm we knew it was going to be awesome, and decided to turn it into a full product. This means a lot of the Tripwire team have been cranking away working on Rising Storm along with the Rising Storm team to get the game ready for release. We've also been hard at work supporting the RO2 mod community by working on SDK updates and Steam workshop support which we're very excited about. Steam workshop should really revolutionize the way community mappers distribute their maps and make it much easier for players to find the cool content mappers and modders are working on.

We've also heard the murmuring in the community with speculation about how Rising Storm will be priced. While we aren't yet ready to release the exact pricing, we will clarify something right now. We will not be throwing the current RO2 community under the bus!!! Our current plan is to allow existing RO2 owners to upgrade to Rising Storm at a significant discount compared to someone that just buys Rising Storm outright. Additionally, we will not be splintering the community by keeping players separated. Servers will be able to run RO2 and Rising Storm maps back to back on the same server. Finally, while we're not quite ready to release the details of exactly how it will work, RO2 players that don't own Rising Storm won't just get booted off the server when a Rising Storm map comes up. Rather RO2 owners will be able to play Rising Storm even if they haven't purchased the add-on, likely with some limitations on weapon/class selection. So to summarize, RO2 owners will get a discount on Rising Storm, and everybody will be able to play together on the same servers!

Speaking of additional content, I'd like to take this time to highlight the works of Coin-goD who is working to bring anti-tank guns to the game and Blitzk.-Bob who is has a team working on new vehicles. If there are any other awesome projects I have missed be sure to let me know in the comments below! Judging is also getting underway on the following maps that were submitted to Phase 1 of the Counterattack mapping contest: Arad 2, Bridges over Druzhina, Butovo, Coldsteel, Gumrak Station, Kursk, Moscow Highway, Ogledow, Otpy3kab2, and Univermag. If you haven't yet, make sure to check them out!

Ah I remember this map.. I actually didn't like it much haha, but I did like the winter theme. Sad to see it being a summer map and I'm curious as to how it'll play out in RO2 without infantry carriers and whatnot. Should be interesting. Hopefully I'll like it more then I did in Ostfront but either way new maps are welcome. Still would've preferred Stalingrad Kessel but I'll wait for it to be remade at some point hopefully.

Anyway as for RS, I'm glad the community won't be severed. Little disappointed that people who don't buy it will still be gimped but this definitely could've been handled in a worse way. So even though it's not the solution I wanted, it's definitely better then some alternatives.

Upvote 0
    Awesome post Yoshiro! I was getting worried there but I'm glad to see that you're working on maps, the SDK/Workshop, and supporting and lending man power to RS!

The map looks tasty, I remember it in the RO1 days, but it'll be better here! :3 Are you able to say exactly how the workshop will work with RO2 other than the basic interface and all? How much have you had to change to the SDK/Base game to get it to work?

Upvote 0
    Some good news here. A much wider, larger non-linear map would be great for the vanilla map rotation. The alternative method of distributing Rising Storm sounds good to me as well. The unfortunate news about troop transports hurt me in the heart a little though :(, but I know good things are coming and that is generally fantastic.

Still would've preferred Stalingrad Kessel but I'll wait for it to be remade at some point hopefully.

I actually planned awhile ago and have been conceptualizing a remake of this map as my first custom map. Right now I'm teaching myself how to utilize the SDK from various tutorials, so it could be quite some time before I make any headway and eventual thread (no promises).

Though - If someone beats me to it then more power to you, whether it's community made or an official map by Tripwire themselves.

Upvote 0
    I'm just sad there will be no halftracks on it :(
    Indeed. I hated that map for how static its gameplay was, and that was with transports. I don't think I ever saw it win on a full cap except when the server was nearly empty. This version is going to suck like a collapsing star unless it gets some major edits from what it was in RO1.

Bad news to hear that DieBresche didn't make it into the contest...not updated, I assume. That was by far the best custom map made so far.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Some good news here. A much wider, larger non-linear map would be great for the vanilla map rotation. The alternative method of distributing Rising Storm sounds good to me as well. The unfortunate news about troop transports hurt me in the heart a little though :(, but I know good things are coming and that is generally fantastic.

I actually planned awhile ago and have been conceptualizing a remake of this map as my first custom map. Right now I'm teaching myself how to utilize the SDK from various tutorials, so it could be quite some time before I make any headway and eventual thread (no promises).

Though - If someone beats me to it then more power to you, whether it's community made or an official map by Tripwire themselves.

I was planning on making that but since I'm working on Kurland right now probably wouldn't be for a long time. Would love to see it happen though.

Great update though thanks.

Upvote 0
    Great to have some teasers! I'm really looking forward to the new map. I've never played RO1, so I'm very curious what it will look like.
    I like how you are thinking of handling the RO2/RS issue. Sounds like a good plan to me.:)
    But to hear that we won't see any troop transports is quite disheartening to be honest! If there would be one thing content wise that would really boost the game, it would have been just that.:(

Upvote 0