• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Counterattack" Mapping Contest for RO2

Well if it makes you feel any better Nomad, if I finish my work on TE-TsentralnyySewers, it will most likely have a FF variant due to the layout of the map. I don't think this is something you should expect to happen with TE/CD maps though. The reason mappers shy away from making FF variants is because they require a fundamentally different layout than the linear TE/CD game modes. It's not because they all think FF is for CoD kiddies (although some of them do), and understandably so; FF doesn't even have any class limits. By trying to design a map for all 3 game modes, a mapper limits the potential of the map for either type. I think certain maps should be designed for FF exclusively, and others for TE/CD exclusively.

Upvote 0
Well if it makes you feel any better Nomad, if I finish my work on TE-TsentralnyySewers, it will most likely have a FF variant due to the layout of the map. I don't think this is something you should expect to happen with TE/CD maps though. The reason mappers shy away from making FF variants is because they require a fundamentally different layout than the linear TE/CD game modes. It's not because they all think FF is for CoD kiddies (although some of them do), and understandably so; FF doesn't even have any class limits. By trying to design a map for all 3 game modes, a mapper limits the potential of the map for either type. I think certain maps should be designed for FF exclusively, and others for TE/CD exclusively.

I appreciate your endeavors and thank you for them. At least you are willing to go the "extra mile" so to speak. I only ask as a means to strongly support TWI, the game, players and the custom mappers.

We are on our way to having some great and memorable custom maps. We need to see FF as much as the other modes - As I said, there are people/players who enjoy playing that particular mode.

Upvote 0
This is great news. The only question is when will the custom map re-direct actaully work so we can load them on our servers?

Redirect works. And update went out to fix one of the last remaining issues a few days ago. There is one bug left that we are working on, but it does not prevent the use of redirects.

Upvote 0
Are we allowed to enter both Phase 1 and Phase 2? Also if we win a prize in Phase 1 does it exclude us from entering and winning prizes in Phase 2?

Also are there any rules against posting playable WIP and getting feedback before contest deadlines?

Yes you can enter both phases. And you ABSOLUTELY should release your map before the contest deadlines, play it with as many people as possible, get it as polished as possible, release as many updates as necessary before the deadline and make sure the map is fun, polished, balanced, and bug free before we ever touch it for judging!!!

Upvote 0
Yes you can enter both phases. And you ABSOLUTELY should release your map before the contest deadlines, play it with as many people as possible, get it as polished as possible, release as many updates as necessary before the deadline and make sure the map is fun, polished, balanced, and bug free before we ever touch it for judging!!!

Awesome :) Just to clarify, are we allowed to enter the same map into both phases or does it have to be a different map in each phase?

Upvote 0
Mapping

Mapping

Moe, RE: Elitist, that's how I see it.... no arguments. Take it for what its worth. As for the rest of my comments - YES. Weapons are already missing from customs now. Games modes are obvious by their absence and players are noting such with unpleasant remarks. I mean, its not like we have 10,000 users and more coming on board every day... ya know what I mean Vern? ;)

We NEED to attract and retain new users!

Mike,

If you want a special gametype or map features, open your SDK and get busy. You want a FF map? Build one! Even if you don't know how to use the SDK you could team up with someone who does and work together to make a map. It's a lot of fun once you get the hang of it and the feeling you get the first time you run across a landscape you built is really good.

RO2 is complicated even to do simple things, and as it is these new maps each require hundreds of hours of unpaid work. Beyond that, for my part I don't play FF, so not only would it require more work just in mapping, I don't even know what makes a good FF map or gameplay to begin with. It isn't elitism, it is having a finite number of hours in a day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mike,

If you want a special gametype or map features, open your SDK and get busy. You want a FF map? Build one! Even if you don't know how to use the SDK you could team up with someone who does and work together to make a map. It's a lot of fun once you get the hang of it and the feeling you get the first time you run across a landscape you built is really good.
Thank you for your timely response and considerate suggestions. I shall make it a point to limit my requests of sensitive mappers. But you jumped in, dressing me down for voicing my opinion, while failing to realize I was basically addressing the rules of the mapping contest and not any mapper in particular. As for making maps I, like yourself, have enough on my plate at this time.
RO2 is complicated even to do simple things, and as it is these new maps each require hundreds of hours of unpaid work. Beyond that, for my part I don't play FF, so not only would it require more work just in mapping, I don't even know what makes a good FF map or gameplay to begin with. It isn't elitism, it is having a finite number of hours in a day.
You do what's best for you. As for me and my support for custom mappers, nobody can question my eagerness to support the custom mappers. In return, with all due respect, I expect equally responsive support not just for us but for the players.

As for FF - well, my friend...... that a matter of likes and dislikes. You don't like FF? Don't map it. Its really that simple. In reality, its all good but when we look at the big picture - we, (Admins, mappers, modders), are all here trying to do our best to support TWI, RO2 and the players.

I used the word elitist.. here in a reply to Moe as a generalization.
I'm somewhat surprised that the elitist creep is happening again... We have a great game that's struggling for users/clients/players and we are still witness to the "I don't like it so I won't be bothered" syndrome.
Its just that is irks me to see a game type ignored at this late stage of release after many players have come to enjoy FF. Now, for the purposes of the Mapping contest.... those players who enjoy FF have nothing to look forward to. Instead, IMHO, the FF game mode should have the awkward spawns fixed and be included in the contest.
Personally at this point I could care less, I detest the spawns in FF and truly avoid playing FF now because of that and that alone. So please in retrospect, do what you find the most joy in doing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
just give those huge maps! you remember, when you played infantry, it took forever to get where you wanted to be. and that was in an apc! you really were worried when some tank rolled into town or and apc came along. the last thing you wanted was to get killed and have to start the trek all over! i still remember ducking below my keyboard as a tank rolled by me to avoid being seen!. with the maps we have now? ehhh. who cares. if he sees and klls me, i'll just run back in twenty seconds and be right where i left off. to call what we have now a "combined" map is funny. they're all infantry maps with a couple tanks thrown in to keep your head down.
BRING ON THE HUGE MAPS, FIT FOR TANK BATTLES AND APC'S AND THE GAME WILL BLOOM!:D

Upvote 0