• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Counterattack" Mapping Contest for RO2

Wow, i want remake of this one, it was perfect for relaxing..
dh-bridge-tdm.jpg

Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
Maybe they feel if they force a FF mode on the map makers, less would bother opening up the SDK. Honestly, I feel the same way. I have been toying with the idea, but have no interest in making a FF version.

Its already harder and takes longer to properly make a map in ROHOS compared to ROOST. So more requirements probably means less entries and less maps for the rest of us.

Upvote 0
Maybe they feel if they force a FF mode on the map makers, less would bother opening up the SDK. Honestly, I feel the same way. I have been toying with the idea, but have no interest in making a FF version.

I'm somewhat surprised that the elitist creep is happening again... We have a great game that's struggling for users/clients/players and we are still witness to the "I don't like it so I won't be bothered" syndrome.
Excuse me but if enough ppl are offended by these poor attitudes, you will soon watch the game wither on the vine of hoped for prosperity. The game mode is there for a reason... like it or not, people enjoy playing FF and hopefully, they'll try the other modes and play them too.
Its already harder and takes longer to properly make a map in ROHOS compared to ROOST. So more requirements probably means less entries and less maps for the rest of us.
So that means we can expect marginal maps because its a more involved and powerful SDK? That makes even less sense to me. High Quality Custom Maps has always been a hallmark of the RO/DH Genre. Why, in heaven's name, must we now settle for anemic custom maps because the editor is "too hard" for some?

I see it this way; Provide fully fleshed out custom maps that are robust in play, entertainment and replay factors and you'll have the ever elusive player retention element of longer game life and continued sales.
Provide selfishly selective, trimmed down, missing features and weapons maps and you'll soon see ho-hum maps that get played one or twice and then set aside.
Server Admins the world over want custom maps that create player participation and excitement. Not player complaints, disconnects and empty servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How is that elitist Mike? These will be custom maps not made by TWI. Maybe every single person making a map will want to make it for all modes including FF, or maybe none will want FF mode at all. Are you trying to say a map will be only of marginal quality because it doesn't have FF mode?

As far as the SDK, I think it is common knowledge that more effort and considerable more time is needed to create a map. Heck, I think you might even need at least 8GB or 12GB to properly burn the lighting in the map if my memory serves me correctly. That alone may eliminate some from making a map.

If it were TWI making the maps, then they can be held up to whatever standards you like because you paid for them. TWI already gave their requirements, FF is not a part of them. Heck, not even all ROHOS maps have FF mode. Why require it if TWI doesn't on their own maps? Simple as that.

Reactions: >F|R< Sarcinelli
Upvote 0
Moe, RE: Elitist, that's how I see it.... no arguments. Take it for what its worth. As for the rest of my comments - YES. Weapons are already missing from customs now. Games modes are obvious by their absence and players are noting such with unpleasant remarks. I mean, its not like we have 10,000 users and more coming on board every day... ya know what I mean Vern? ;)

We NEED to attract and retain new users!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All maps must be comprised of only original content created by the Entrant(s), or content already contained in Red Orchestra 2 and the Red Orchestra 2 SDK or any Tripwire-created content from previous Tripwire Interactive games. That means that no part of the map, including but not limited to, models, entities, audio files, textures or any other content can be taken, derived or ported from any other game or third party map.

I think that should be modified a little bit. It basically says we cannot use "free for commercial use" or public domain assets. Besides textures(including propaganda posters, paintings, rugs and all that jazz), there's a lot of free stuff out there that can be used to spice up the map, like inappropriate music(think of Hitman Blood Money's ending or this: Mount & Blade Warband : Napoleonic Wars **ELITE PIANO GAMEPLAY** - YouTube). ;)

Reactions: Six_Ten
Upvote 0