• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Counterattack" Mapping Contest for RO2

Some ideas for mappers:

--Attack/Defend maps. Generally, these just feel better and more epic. When you know you're part of an offensive, or when you know you're assigned to hold the line, it immerses you that much more.

--A close-quarters map that actually plays slowly. Think something like Station or Apartments, with many fewer reinforcements, no artillery, a long time limit, and a loong run from spawn. A map, in effect, where you actually do have to check every corner and toss a grenade into every room.

--And this might be just me, but for those people contemplating maps in the Stalingrad setting, I think people might like to see more maps covering the August-November period.

--Ambient gunfire and artillery! Great potential there...

Man, if I just had more free time in my life and more RAM, I'd get in on this myself...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
--A close-quarters map that actually plays slowly. Think something like Station or Apartments, with many fewer reinforcements, no artillery, a long time limit, and a loong run from spawn. A map, in effect, where you actually do have to check every corner and toss a grenade into every room.

Won't work for public matches. I am saying that after coming from a match on Apartments where Axis-Allies reinfs were even at just under 100 with the bridges taken. Match ended with an Axis win and 42 reinfs left.

Limiting reinfs while adding round time will only lead into complains about too less reinfs or unbalanced design.

Upvote 0
Won't work for public matches. I am saying that after coming from a match on Apartments where Axis-Allies reinfs were even at just under 100 with the bridges taken. Match ended with an Axis win and 42 reinfs left.

Limiting reinfs while adding round time will only lead into complains about too less reinfs or unbalanced design.

Factoring in the long (and I mean LONG) run from spawn, anyone who has played the theoretical map more than once will be somewhat more conservative when they reach the frontline, because death will mean being out of the action for a much longer period.

I'm sure that if spawn waves and the distance from the spawn are sufficiently large, the map will play much slower even on a public map. Pubbers might rush into death the first couple times, but once they realize just how inconvenient death is, they'll learn pretty fast.

On Apartments, one can go from the right Russian spawn to the Potapova Park cap in just fifteen seconds in Realism Mode. Getting from the left spawn to the basement of the Propaganda House takes just seven seconds.

Because death means little on Apartments, you see Soviets running blindly into the HMG on the left side, trying to line up a shot life after life. You see Germans and Russians alike sprinting into Potapova Park, spamming grenades, dying, and repeating.

Upvote 0
Existing maps are allowed. That is partially the reason the game is in two phases as well. This allows existing maps to go up against each other in the first phase, while brand new maps take the stage in the second. But that should stop new maps from entering the first phase if they feel they are ready, or maps that were entered in the first phase from be submitted for the second after additional polish.

Upvote 0
More custom maps, maybe like defending a point against enemy rushing tanks, or pistol only maps that would be cool if I recall correctly in Darkest hour was a map called Wild west only pistols or sniper maps or defend the Vip, a commander or a high grade soldier but all in all keep up coming with new maps. Roll on with custom maps :IS2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0