• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

GOTY released, Free weekend, Trailer...

well well, keep the applause down a bit.
The current state we have now thanks to the GOTY patch should have been actually the one on release date. Well, TWI failed us. They threw an unfinished game at us. IF the patch we have now was released shortly before Christmas last year, I would have been silenced and said: "Yes, they did throw an unfinished game at us but they noticed how pissed we all were and corrected their mistake in no time."

Now, with the patch released 8 (eight!) months after the initial release (I will never forget those paroles like "most realistic FPS experience ever!"), it doesn't give me the feeling it should give.
As I heard about Mamaryev being part of the whole load of 5,3GB I thought that maybe, yes maybe TWI had finally made the big step and added greatcoats for the Wehrmacht. *BANG* Failed again. Yes, one could say, we are not responsible for your wrong expectations, but are those wrong expectations really wrong?

Action mode? In my hope to finally play Mamaryev (I never installed the beta) I joined any server possibly hosting this map. When I finally got a slot on one and I spawned for the first time, I thought my eyes were blurring because of happiness tears ... was that really a crosshair??? OFMG!!! It is a crosshair. RO2 made the big step from NOW HERE to NOWHERE. With adding a crosshair we finally managed to get in the same line with Call of Duty and brothers, only on a much lower level.
I questioned myself for about 10 minutes why TWI actually had given away the very heart, the very essence of the game so easily. Now, RO2 is just another mainstream shooter, a CoD World at War 2 could eventually look quite the same.

Wellknown bugs like the headless playermodel after being killed and the deadbodies that keep talking for up to 20secs after their death are still present.

But there is also something I really like about the new gaming experience.

The bandaging now takes much longer than before, so if someone decides to take a break in open field in order to bandage, it is probably the last thing he does. Finally the player is more vulnerable.

The hitdetection has been greatly improved. Before the patch you could at times waste 20 rounds on someone and he just wouldn't die. Now shots placed on target really kill. Also nice to see is that aiming properly in front of a moving target works now, just like in the mod days and Ostfront.

My checklist for the next roll-out is:

German greatcoats, it has been discussed up and down here on the forums. Evidence has been given by wartime photography and the temperature fact that Germans without it would be hardly able to keep fighting. I don't see why they are still not in the game.

Class indication on the score list (at least for the friendly units) as you still don't know if your team already has a combat engineer or not. You still have to look in the class selection menu. Bring back the RO Mod and Ostfront score charts.

Weapon upgrade and downgrade in the field.
I do understand that you can't make an MP40/II out of an MP40 in the field but I wish I could simply de-/attach my bayonet in the field. It worked perfectly fine in the mod and in Ostfront. I actually never understood why this was taken out.

The Emperor

Upvote 0
I really like the update but I noticed one well fairly major bug at least in Classic mode.

When using the MG34 an deplying it on a window or similar it does not reload. The animation works but the mag remains empty. Only holding "Crouch" key will make it work. Otherwise the message about the mag will not appear either.
If you reload while being prone then it works just fine...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am really disapointed, as the patch made the game 5 time more buggy for me.
I uninstalled the thing, I guess il just wait for the mods to come out.
Or maybe in 2 years the game will be palyable... who knows.

that you cant zoom in classic mode isn't a bug lol.

But seriously instead of trolling give examples.

Thanks TWI for this great patch, in all honesty RO2 was one of my major disapointments in 2011 but iam more than happy that it is back on track in 2012....so much fun but please don't pull this bull**** again thx.

Upvote 0
I read all of The_Emperor's post, and was quite overwhelmed by the drama.

In other news - I've yet to revisit RO2 since this update, but I'm looking forward to doing so now :) The changelist is epic, the feedback sounds pretty good so far, and I've definitely been missing some RO2 goodness for quite a few weeks now. Time for some Classic mode methinks :)

Well done TW, and thank you. This sounds like a fantastic update, and bodes well for future updates too - a point that some people seem to be missing entirely.

Upvote 0