• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 2 Game of the Year Edition Announced - Dev Diary Video!

If people play the game for the first time over the free weekend, do you really think they will care if there are only 9 maps and 2 tanks? If they have never played the game before, I'm sure they will be more concerned with surviving than keeping a tally of how many times they've played each map.

And for RO2 players that left and are making a return, perhaps some of them will be disappointed that there isn't a swag of new content. However, I suspect that there will be many of them that had left due to buggy performance and disagreeable gameplay mechanics, and as such will find the update addresses the exact problems that they left because of.

A1 to Mr Brewski.
I taught him everything he knows.

Upvote 0
Agreed, its an overhaul on the game. But its not as simple as that. It's an overhaul on a small fraction of the game. It's an overhaul on how infantry reacts during a battle. Not much more. Theres absolutely no addition to any other aspects of the game minus one new map. Its not exactly the product that you want to use as your "look, its a brand new game, come back and play it PLEASE!" device. It has merely changed the basic gameplay. Nothing else. No new weapons, no new maps, no new tanks, no new nothing besides the basic infantry experience.

It's a step forward, but its NOT the thing you wanna put out to the world as an example of what your game is. That is why I disagree with the free weekend strategy that TWI has adopted so hastily.

Again, did you read the changelogs? You're basically saying that suppression system (and maybe stamina fits into that category) was the only thing that was overhauled. Vast minimization there. Go back to the changelogs. But your point about gameplay vs. content is fair enough; that's an interesting perspective, but I must say I pretty strongly disagree nonetheless.

This is exactly the type of thing that calls for a free weekend. Because for the people who try the game for free, all the content is still new to them, but if the game is still the same old buggy, sluggish, and not what players are looking for in terms of gameplay title that they heard it was back last fall/winter, several new maps and vehicles won't hide it or be good for lasting player numbers. New content without this type of sweeping pass to address so many of the game's other issues would be pretty hollow for so many "players" of this game.

Don't get me wrong. I actually loved RO2 from right away. But I acknowledged some things that even I didn't like, and as the beta developed lately, I even changed my mind about some things I didn't think needed changing at first but once they were changed I was very satisfied (examples: Lockdown tweaks, and suppression enhancement). RO2 lost more players on gameplay aspects than on the amount of content, that seems clear. I understand that we who have been playing RO2 since launch are starting to itch for new stuff. But the content is coming. Maybe I just have a longer attention span than the average player. I'm still having fun on all the maps. They don't seem tired to me. I'd love to see more tanks and a couple of transport vehicles, but I'd rather show people how good the game can be first, then add content. Because new maps and vehicles will not change people's minds about the way the game plays or make them forget the bugs. If a game is unplayable for someone, the number of maps means squat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO2 lost more players on gameplay aspects than on the amount of content, that seems clear.

Yes.
Veterans and new players will come. (Best for RO2) (Success of RO "Action" and RO classic)
News players will come and not the veterans. (fail of RO classic - Success of RO "Action")
Veterans will come and news players not. (fail of RO "Action" - Success of RO classic)
Veterans and new players will not come. (worst for RO2) (fail of RO "Action" and RO classic)

But maybe veterans will love RO action and news players will love RO classic.

I hope Tripwire will found new wave of players. (with a maximun of players)

If a game is unplayable for someone, the number of maps means squat.

Yes, but sometime the player "someone" doens't know to play and need to discover step by step RO 2.
RO action ->ROclassic -> RO realism
(or RO action -> RO realism -> RO classic if you prefer RO classic than Ro realism)

Upvote 0
If people play the game for the first time over the free weekend, do you really think they will care if there are only 9 maps and 2 tanks? If they have never played the game before, I'm sure they will be more concerned with surviving than keeping a tally of how many times they've played each map.

And for RO2 players that left and are making a return, perhaps some of them will be disappointed that there isn't a swag of new content. However, I suspect that there will be many of them that had left due to buggy performance and disagreeable gameplay mechanics, and as such will find the update addresses the exact problems that they left because of.

There will always be complainers no matter how much swag you pile on. That's life.

Despite having my fair share of criticism, I am amazed at the longevity of the stock maps. Maybe it is the core game play, but RO2 maps are not yet so familiar that matches ever seem boring. I still get pumped when RO Factory comes up and I love Commissar's and Pavlovs.

Upvote 0