• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 2 Game of the Year Edition Announced - Dev Diary Video!

Ok, i have been around this forum for a while, and the veterans sticked, stating it missed that RO1 feeling and gameplay, the classic mode will bring that back, but who the f here called in for a action mode with lower damage and crosshairs??

SO true. I can't believe they wasted any time on that, alhough it may have been a side project.

Developers are very stupid trying to focus on different market segments that are inherently opposed, and then try to put that in the same game.

EA is always going to be better at making crap games in this way. No need for TWI to try and make a poor copy of a long failed developement process.

You go away from the big developer games, to smaller more independent developers, catering to your niche... and then that lol... lol.... lol.... actually it's not fun. It's just fail.

Campaign mode ? nowhere to be seen, promised at release one year ago....

Action mode ...WTF????

Upvote 0
Interesting video. I appreciate the apology, the fixes (apparently a great many of them) and the new map. Hopefully the game can get back on track and TWI can buckle down and concentrate on the new vehicles we so dearly want. :)

Can't wait to download this and check out classic mode. I will probably even try action mode as well, just to see what it's like. :D

Upvote 0
I really dont understand how complicated this could be. Dont you think it would have been a better idea to release the update for us all so we can find the inevitable bugs that it will have? No, release the update the day the game becomes free. Also, why not fix the Sdk and wait till some nice custom maps come out first? So that when the free players come in they will see all the maps and content. Nope, instead they will see 8 maps which can all be played in 1 night, of which individual players will like 3 or 4.

I'm glad the update is coming, but damn guys, it's really not that hard to time things. It's hard to make all this I'm sure, but don't let all he hard work go to waste.

Anywho, good job I guess, I hope everything works out.

This is what I have been saying for months! Push those community maps through the update and put a VERY BIG Sentence on the map loading screen when loading any modder made map that says: "Work in progress"...

I am happy about all the changes and so on, but 2 problems I see:

1. lack of maps, not for myself, I still play the other ones, but as said before by someone else: new player will play 9 maps in one night, like 4 and then has the choice: buy or not?

2. Why calling it GOTY edition? GOTYs usually mean: Initial base game plus all add-ons or mappacks included. For RO 2, GOTY edition means: bug free RO 2 with new modes

I hope that this weekend will bring in new players and I stuck around with this game since release, despite all the problems, but I really think the name and the lack of maps in this release will not bring the result that everybody hopes for.

Anyways: to everybody playing on the weekend. BE NICE TO NEWCOMERS and don't bully them.

Happy shooting

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but wouldn't it be better to have the free weekend a week after the patch release? Just in case there are some bugs?

I know that there was a lot of testing already, but with so many different systems out there, I'm afraid there are going to be be bugs.

An extra week would give time to fix them and everybody that ones the game, would have the chance to download the patch, before the freeweekend begins.
http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=DOKJAA&search=pessimist&trestr=0x8001

Upvote 0
......[/QUOTE said:
D3 is a totally different genre of gaming. I'm not interested in that sort of game, maybe 20 years ago I was when Zelda came out the 1st time. New maps would be cool but being able to play the existing maps in RO1 style would make the maps gameplay completely different allready. I prefer them fixing the gameplay mechanics over delivering new content. New content will follow once they fixed the core of the game. I don't know what DLC you're on about btw. Rising storm is like a new game for which I'd be happy to pay over some new maps and weapons like in BF3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mr. Brewski
Upvote 0
I44- Ahem, Iron front Liberation :D Looks good but the Arma engine just isn't as good as RO's, it's very clunky and hard to use.

I played many hours of A2 but no matter how much content is added, I feel like the engine is to blame for my increasing lack of enjoyment as I play. I just don't feel immersed in it.

Back on topic :eek:

Thanks for you apology TWI, we really do appreciate that your apology is not just empty words, but that you've actually fixed the problems *and* added to the game. This patch looks great, even with 5-6 players in it the beta is more fun to me than full servers of the old pre-patch game. That says a lot.

Can't wait (no really, I can't!) for the patch!

Upvote 0
Agreed, its an overhaul on the game. But its not as simple as that. It's an overhaul on a small fraction of the game..... It has merely changed the basic gameplay. Nothing else. No new weapons, no new maps, no new tanks, no new nothing besides the basic infantry experience.

It's a step forward, but its NOT the thing you wanna put out to the world as an example of what your game is. That is why I disagree with the free weekend strategy that TWI has adopted so hastily.

So if I understand your arguments, gameplay is a small fraction of the game? and also, what people were unhappy about before was not any bugs or gameplay errors but the fact they just wanted more free stuff? and that TWI adopted the strategy of having a free weekend at exactly the same time as they announced it?

wow :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agreed, its an overhaul on the game. But its not as simple as that. It's an overhaul on a small fraction of the game. It's an overhaul on how infantry reacts during a battle. Not much more. Theres absolutely no addition to any other aspects of the game minus one new map. Its not exactly the product that you want to use as your "look, its a brand new game, come back and play it PLEASE!" device. It has merely changed the basic gameplay. Nothing else. No new weapons, no new maps, no new tanks, no new nothing besides the basic infantry experience.

It's a step forward, but its NOT the thing you wanna put out to the world as an example of what your game is. That is why I disagree with the free weekend strategy that TWI has adopted so hastily.
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1073367

Sorry sir but you are wrong. As already mentioned gameplay is not a small fraction of the game it is the very core of it. Beside of that not only infantrybombat got changes. There are also several changes for tanks, the server browser, the UI in general, map balance and also a complete new map. I am pretty much suprised how negative some people are and it actually hurts a bit. Tripwire and the community spend over 6 months of hard work to get the game where it will be after the update. You were probably not involved in all the beta testing and that is okay. But if you were a part of it you would know that there was tons of work to do, there was simply no time to work on new maps for tripwire, they had their hands full with making the game work as intended. As already said I think we now have the game to level where it deserves to be released (again). The next step will be maps, more vehicles and of course a fixed SDK.

I really dont understand all the negativity.

Reactions: Mr. Brewski
Upvote 0
Iron Front: liberation 1944 is out May 25th. Thats why.
get in a few sales before before RO2 gets dumped for that.

Iron Front? On the fabled highly optimised Arma 2 engine? Not so sure.

I met the devs for it a year ago, I think. Sure as hell hope they fixed the AT guns etc since the demo I saw, if it was them.

Nice guys and it's a reasonable mod, but it ain't a zombie mod :)

Also, I'm not quite sure how TWI giving people a chance to play the game for free is going to be 'sneaking in a few sales before being flattened by t3h almighty IF', as you appear to believe it, particularly when the free trial begins on the same day.

I guess that people who try RO2 for free then decide whether to buy it 'sight seen' or Iron Front 'sight unseen' may have more data to work with than people commonly do in such situations; but other than that I think it's a case of 'Do you prefer Arma or RO?'

I took a look and I am not sure why you feel the need to lay into anyone in the YouTube comments who dares to express any liking for RO2 or TWI at all - it does seem almost pathological but I guess that's just your way and YT comments sections are, after all, very dark places, I suppose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I also dong really get the comparsion between RO2 and Iron Front 1944. The only thing both games really share is the eastern front. Iron Front is a game where the battles take place on a much larger scale, but this comes not without a cost. Especially Infantry Combat in all Operation Flashpoint and ArmA Games feels very clunky, uncomfortable and strange. That is the price you pay when you want to have a game that features infantry, tank and air combat on such a scale.

RO2 on the hand has a clear focus on infantry combat mixed with combined operations that involves tanks (and in the next updates I guess) other vehciles.

Upvote 0
Indeed, and apparently for those in Canada it is a normal 2 day one. Not sure what either have to do with anything.

Haha... So true.

I do know this; The new updated version of RO2 is creating all sorts of excitement and joy among the faithful and even among some of the naysayers. The free weekend will permit many curious and potential users to see what all the fuss is about.

The new RO2 - HoS is outstanding.

Upvote 0
If people play the game for the first time over the free weekend, do you really think they will care if there are only 9 maps and 2 tanks? If they have never played the game before, I'm sure they will be more concerned with surviving than keeping a tally of how many times they've played each map.

And for RO2 players that left and are making a return, perhaps some of them will be disappointed that there isn't a swag of new content. However, I suspect that there will be many of them that had left due to buggy performance and disagreeable gameplay mechanics, and as such will find the update addresses the exact problems that they left because of.

Upvote 0
If people play the game for the first time over the free weekend, do you really think they will care if there are only 9 maps and 2 tanks? If they have never played the game before, I'm sure they will be more concerned with surviving than keeping a tally of how many times they've played each map.

And for RO2 players that left and are making a return, perhaps some of them will be disappointed that there isn't a swag of new content. However, I suspect that there will be many of them that had left due to buggy performance and disagreeable gameplay mechanics, and as such will find the update addresses the exact problems that they left because of.

It's the question of found a "good reason" to hate RO2. "No tanks and only infantery map." And when vehicules will come you will say : "only vehicules no infantery map " !

Upvote 0

Ta DAAAA!!! Spoken like a true aficionado! I agree with you completely.

Upvote 0