• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 2 Game of the Year Edition Announced - Dev Diary Video!

I was under the impression the free weekend would only come a week after the patch was officially released. I'm a little worried, since that would give a week for people to find any egregious bugs.

An instant free weekend is a little risky, and needlessly so. Still, this doesn't mitigate my anticipation for the release at all. Many hours will be spent playing the game, methinks!

Yea, at least delay it a week or two to iron out bugs so its at its maximum presentable level. But then again, I still think they should wait a few months so theres new content. Other than the new gameplay feel its still essentially the same game, same maps and all, no new tanks.

Oh and I hope Gumrak will begin to be played more. I miss my big tank maps :D

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by CharlieDay
Of course it is. But it IS the same damn 8 maps with no additions of anything except a change in gameplay. They should probably hold off the free weekend for another few months....
I am rather happy that Tripwire and the community spend the last months working on making a better game that actually works. New (official) maps are something that should be done after the game is in a better state (which we have reached now). I rather have 8 maps and a working game as 16 maps and a brokem game.

Upvote 0
I am rather happy that Tripwire and the community spend the last months working on making a better game that actually works. New (official) maps are something that should be done after the game is in a better state (which we have reached now). I rather have 8 maps and a working game as 16 maps and a brokem game.

Right, but we're worried about what the people who left think about it, not those who have stuck to it for these several months. Because they obviously love the game in either state.

Upvote 0
I really dont understand how complicated this could be. Dont you think it would have been a better idea to release the update for us all so we can find the inevitable bugs that it will have? No, release the update the day the game becomes free. Also, why not fix the Sdk and wait till some nice custom maps come out first? So that when the free players come in they will see all the maps and content. Nope, instead they will see 8 maps which can all be played in 1 night, of which individual players will like 3 or 4.

I'm glad the update is coming, but damn guys, it's really not that hard to time things. It's hard to make all this I'm sure, but don't let all he hard work go to waste.

Anywho, good job I guess, I hope everything works out.

Upvote 0
I really dont understand how complicated this could be. Dont you think it would have been a better idea to release the update for us all so we can find the inevitable bugs that it will have? No, release the update the day the game becomes free. Also, why not fix the Sdk and wait till some nice custom maps come out first? So that when the free players come in they will see all the maps and content. Nope, instead they will see 8 maps which can all be played in 1 night, of which individual players will like 3 or 4.

I'm glad the update is coming, but damn guys, it's really not that hard to time things. It's hard to make all this I'm sure, but don't let all he hard work go to waste.

Anywho, good job I guess, I hope everything works out.

This man speaks the truth. But whats said is done.

Upvote 0
Hey all, new here!

I run a clan mainly focussed on Frostbite games. With the news of the update, I'm going to put up a server and promote the game within the clan. However, whilst I really do appreciate the fact that 'realism' mode is where it's at, I feel that the new 'action' mode stands a good chance of attracting new players. I think that coupled with the free weekend it's a good move by the developers.

Having kept an eye on RO2 as I'm excited about the 'In Country' mod it's been great to see a developer continuing to support their game. By all accounts that support will not be dropping either. Other games released at the same time are completely dead.

Server is up and so just waiting for the update to roll out. That's if I can get my head around the server config lol.

cheers utopiate
www.oldtimerstactical.co.uk

Reactions: >F|R< Sarcinelli
Upvote 0
Clear your diarys, pay off your GF/Wife, try and make this weekend and lets get this game rockin'.
Wouldn't that make your wife into your X?

Why? Why one week before my finals?! Well... damn you education! Stalingrad it is! :IS2:
Stalingrad IS education.

so will we get the update today or tomorrow?
Most probably.

Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Mike. :eek:
And now we have you on record, agreeing :)

Upvote 0
Hey all, new here!

I run a clan mainly focussed on Frostbite games. With the news of the update, I'm going to put up a server and promote the game within the clan. However, whilst I really do appreciate the fact that 'realism' mode is where it's at, I feel that the new 'action' mode stands a good chance of attracting new players. I think that coupled with the free weekend it's a good move by the developers.

Having kept an eye on RO2 as I'm excited about the 'In Country' mod it's been great to see a developer continuing to support their game. By all accounts that support will not be dropping either. Other games released at the same time are completely dead.

Server is up and so just waiting for the update to roll out. That's if I can get my head around the server config lol.

cheers utopiate

Awesome! And welcome. PLease make sure you tick client side hit detection so we west coasters can kick some UK butt ;)

Reactions: >F|R< Sarcinelli
Upvote 0
Looking really good here, hope all goes great and we come up with new fans and bring back some old ones!

To the naysayers, you do realize that there have other things in the works, just not ready for release yet? Or perhaps it just makes you happy to be negative all the time... afterall, you're probably upset that you are stuck with those other sucky games out there when you aren't playing this :p

Upvote 0
Hey all, new here!

cheers utopiate

Thank you very much for your support, especially of action mode. I'm sure classic mode will have an established fanbase, so I think action will need a few helping hands to get it going from people such as yourself :)

Upvote 0
Thanks, for the apology and the continued devotion to your game.

As you haven't let up on us, it's only fair that I see it through to the end as well.

The beta certainly was shaping up to be great, and I can only see improvement along the way.

EDIT: As for the sound changelog, have the screams returned yet? I miss them so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you actually read the beta changelogs???

This GOTY edition is a friggin' OVERHAUL of the entire game. And now that this is out of the way, maps and vehicles will be forthcoming.

Agreed, its an overhaul on the game. But its not as simple as that. It's an overhaul on a small fraction of the game. It's an overhaul on how infantry reacts during a battle. Not much more. Theres absolutely no addition to any other aspects of the game minus one new map. Its not exactly the product that you want to use as your "look, its a brand new game, come back and play it PLEASE!" device. It has merely changed the basic gameplay. Nothing else. No new weapons, no new maps, no new tanks, no new nothing besides the basic infantry experience.

It's a step forward, but its NOT the thing you wanna put out to the world as an example of what your game is. That is why I disagree with the free weekend strategy that TWI has adopted so hastily.

Upvote 0