• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 2 Game of the Year Edition Announced - Dev Diary Video!

The free weekend didn't start yet, due to last minute fixes the start is delayed a couple of hours.

Your pc should be fine enough, my PC is worse in every aspect of yours and I can run the game on 1920x1080 on high settings without a problem.

Are you sure about that?

The Radeon 6450 really is not a card I would play any games on, unless they are pretty old... What video card do you use? What framerates do you get?

Irish_85: What Resolution monitor do you use?

Your computer is MORE than powerful enough except for that video card. The 6450 was really never intended to be used for real games.

The Radeon HD6450 performs slightly below the published minimum specifications for the game (Geforce 7800GTX or Radeon HD2900 GT) and significantly below the recommended specs (Geforce GTX 260 and Radeon 5750)

The 7800 GTX was all the rage when it launched in June 2005, so for it still to outperform a much newer 6450, shows that the 6450 really was never intended as a product for games. (7 years in computer hardware is a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time)

Still, with settings low enough, and resolution low enough it may be playable.

Video card product names can be confusing. Higher product numbers don't necessarily mean they are faster. I'm not usually a fan of Toms Hardware, but they do have a pretty neat video card hierarchy chart which can be helpful to people who don't have this kind of stuff as a hobby like I do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you sure about that?

The Radeon 6450 really is not a card I would play any games on, unless they are pretty old... What video card do you use? What framerates do you get?

Your computer is MORE than powerful enough except for that video card. The 6450 was really never intended to be used for real games.

The Radeon HD6450 performs slightly below the published minimum specifications for the game (Geforce 7800GTX or Radeon HD2900 GT) and significantly below the recommended specs (Geforce GTX 260 and Radeon 5750)

The 7800 GTX was all the rage when it launched in June 2005, so for it still to outperform a much newer 6450, shows that the 6450 really was never intended as a product for games. (7 years in computer hardware is a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time)

Video card product names can be confusing. Higher product numbers don't necessarily mean they are faster. I'm not usually a fan of Toms Hardware, but they do have a pretty neat video card hierarchy chart which can be helpful to people who don't have this kind of stuff as a hobby like I do.
My monitor resolution is 1920x1080, I haven't played much recent games at all but it did struggle a bit with Arma 2 on high graphics.

If the RO2 servers are lively I may just upgrade my graphics card.

Upvote 0
Are you sure about that?

I am sorry, I lost the trail on the ATI graphic cards a couple of years ago. I expected a graphic card from the 6000er series to be atleast as "powerful" as a nvidia 9600gt which was already when it was released just mediocre.

Upvote 0
I just recently reinstalled RO1, having a blast at the moment, then someone told me about the free weekend of playing. I went onto steam and all I see is a cheaper deal for the game (which is a very reasonable price) but I wanted to try the game out before I purchase it so I can see if my computer can run it. So is it free, or am I doing something wrong?

p.s. my specs are.

Ms Windows 7 Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i3-2120 @ 3.30 ghz
4.0 gig of ram
AMD RADEON HD 6450

Continued from my post above

The rest of your system is great for the game. Since Intel is dominating AMD so badly these days, even that close to entry level i3-2120 is going to blow the doors off of anything AMD brings to the table, including their latest and greatest top end CPU's. 4GB ram is sufficient, but considering how cheap ram is these days, there is no reason not to take that to 8.

If you are intent on getting into games like this other than for free weekend testing purposes, I highly recommend upgrading that video card. There are plenty of video card hovering just above $100 mark (if you shop well, never buy a video card at a local computer store, like best buy). On the Nvidia side, I'd say, don't go below a GTX460, on the ATI/AMD side I'd say keep it at a Radeon 6850 or above. These cards should be great unless you plan on getting into really high resolution monitors. Just make sure your power supply is in the 500W range, or you may not have enough power to supply a video card upgrade.

Before you buy, be sure to check that hierarchy chart I linked. Video cards are notoriously bad at having intelligible product names. For instance, a Geforce GTS 550 is SLOWER than a GTX 460. A Radeon HD 6450 is MUCH slower than a Radeon HD 5750.

Typically when judging video cards, the first digit is the generation. Each generation has high and low end parts. The high end from an older generation is usually faster than the low end from a newer generation, which is why you can't just read product numbers. The following digits relate more to the performance within the generation. With Geforce cards, the second digit is simple. Within the same generation, a higher number is better. Accross generations it becomes more complicated, and you have to do some reading.

With Radeon cards, the second digit is the performance category within the generation, and the third digit distinguishes it further. 6670 < 6850 < 6870 < 6950 < 6970. Again this comparison is easy if the first digit stays the same, but gets complicated if you cross-shop between generations. (for instance, a 5850 is pretty close in performance to a 6870)

Of course, all of what I have said depends on this being a desktop. Laptops are a different story all together. Ram and drives are typically upgradeable, but outside of that you are - with a few exceptions - stuck with what the computer shipped with. Also, mobile video card part numbers are even more deceptive. Both AMD and Nvidia give their mobile parts the same part numbers as much faster desmtoip parts, just adding a "mobility" or "m" to the end.

Example: GeForce GTX 460 is MUCH faster than a GeForce GTX 460m
also, Radeon HD6850 is MUCH faster than a Radeon HD6850 Mobility

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Continued from my post above

The rest of your system is great for the game. Since Intel is dominating AMD so badly these days, even that close to entry level i3-2120 is going to blow the doors off of anything AMD brings to the table, including their latest and greatest top end CPU's. 4GB ram is sufficient, but considering how cheap ram is these days, there is no reason not to take that to 8.

If you are intent on getting into games like this other than for free weekend testing purposes, I highly recommend upgrading that video card. There are plenty of video card hovering just above $100 mark (if you shop well, never buy a video card at a local computer store, like best buy). On the Nvidia side, I'd say, don't go below a GTX460, on the ATI/AMD side I'd say keep it at a Radeon 6850 or above. These cards should be great unless you plan on getting into really high resolution monitors. Just make sure your power supply is in the 500W range, or you may not have enough power to supply a video card upgrade.

Before you buy, be sure to check that hierarchy chart I linked. Video cards are notoriously bad at having intelligible product names. For instance, a Geforce GTS 550 is SLOWER than a GTX 460. A Radeon HD 6450 is MUCH slower than a Radeon HD 5750.

Typically when judging video cards, the first digit is the generation. Each generation has high and low end parts. The high end from an older generation is usually faster than the low end from a newer generation, which is why you can't just read product numbers. The following digits relate more to the performance within the generation. With Geforce cards, the second digit is simple. Within the same generation, a higher number is better. Accross generations it becomes more complicated, and you have to do some reading.

With Radeon cards, the second digit is the performance category within the generation, and the third digit distinguishes it further. 6670 < 6850 < 6870 < 6950 < 6970. Again this comparison is easy if the first digit stays the same, but gets complicated if you cross-shop between generations. (for instance, a 5850 is pretty close in performance to a 6870)

Of course, all of what I have said depends on this being a desktop. Laptops are a different story all together. Ram and drives are typically upgradeable, but outside of that you are - with a few exceptions - stuck with what the computer shipped with. Also, mobile video card part numbers are even more deceptive. Both AMD and Nvidia give their mobile parts the same part numbers as much faster desmtoip parts, just adding a "mobility" or "m" to the end.

Example: GeForce GTX 460 is MUCH faster than a GeForce GTX 460m
also, Radeon HD6850 is MUCH faster than a Radeon HD6850 Mobility

I hope this helps.
I'm not much of a tech head so that's loads of help, cheers mate :)

Upvote 0
I pretty much had the last part memorized. One of the things they teach you when you are doing things to the camera is to NOT stare directly at it. I could have looked at the camera for most of the interview, but I've been trained by lots and lots of media people to never do that. Just FYI :)

Apparently president Obama is doing it all wrong. He should probably take advice from your teachers :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just want to say I love the game and have since I first say gameplay footage of it!
You need more weapons though. Some of the key weapons from both sides are missing, and as a fan of Soviet WW2 weapons and history the fact that the PPS43 was not in the game is a major disappointment, this gun is a direct result of the Siege4 of Stalingrad and should be included in the game even if it is very similar to the pps41.
I would also like to see firearms such as the astra 400. and maybe even its much less used sibling the astra 600, the Luger of course, any of the varients of the Kar or MGs since there are so many that could be added with not much skin and code changes required as well as any more of the large number and variety of German arms that were available. On the Russian side I would love of course the PPS 43 or Fedorov Avtomat.
Love the game once again, downloading the GoTY update now, get more guns!

Upvote 0
Long time RO1 player, and I was excited about RO2 until I came to the forums to see how it was doing. Such bad press by the community, I decided to hold off a while.

I would have gladly paid 29.99 or whatever, but on sale for 10 bucks, I just couldn't pass it up.

Still downloading almost 9gigs, but I'm excited to play once again. Also talked my RL bud to buy it also. We had tons of fun in RO1.

Anyway, just wanted to drop a line and say thanks for the incentive to stop holding out.

Oh, btw, I still have fond memories of when TWI was trying out 50 person servers, and they were running their own. Jaeger owned me a bunch of times on that new (at the time) map with the trenches and forest. I delivered a little payback later on but I took way more than I gave. Still remember it clear as day.

Good times... soldier on TWI. Haters gonna hate.

Upvote 0