• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Alan Wilson talks Killing Floor, Red Orchestra and Rising Storm

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    MMGN.com had a chance to do a voice interview with our Vice President Alan this past week. They've gone ahead and posted the entire 30 minute interview online here. Alan covers upcoming plans for Killing Floor, Red Orchestra 2, and Rising Storm (and even some hints at potential future announcements). So make sure to give it a listen.

Killing Floor kicks it off, Red Orchestra starts in at about 7 minutes, and Rising Storm around the 20 minute mark for those looking for a specific topic. Be sure to let us know what excites you the most by joining the conversation in our forums.

So, obviously he is everything but happy with the RO Classic mode... doesn't exactly make me confident :confused:

Also he doesn't seem to take the critics seriously. Most of us are certainly not against progress... There are some aspects of the new gameplay that makes it hard to enjoy for both the hardcore gamers and more casual gamers, they have to be overhauled (such as the absolutely not functioning squad system)
    Other things are great the way they are done in RO2 (like the first person cover).

The opinions about zooming are very controverse. I, myself think it lessens the feel of reality that I always had in RO1 and makes sniping too easy. I understand that there are other opinions.
    Anyway I'd like to test it a while. Let's see how it works after that.

Reactions: borsdy
    Upvote 0
    I hope he was joking about the "wanting RO1 with better graphics" bits, if he wasn't then there's a pretty big disconnect between the devs and the community.

I don't think anyone wants RO1 with better graphics, I certainly don't. What I want is to enjoy RO2.

It was early in the morning (our time), I'm a Brit and he's Australian - yes, I was being facetious. He was actually supposed to edit it a bit (I was rambling badly, as you may have noticed) but decided to post the whole thing as recorded.

And I didn't say I don't like RO2 (at least, not that I remember). I think I said I prefer RO2 the way it is, to the classic that some members of the community want (and are getting). Personal preference - I've played RO since 2003 and I like the current incarnation!

As these forums prove, we can't all like the exact same thing :)

Upvote 0
    I hope he was joking about the "wanting RO1 with better graphics" bits, if he wasn't then there's a pretty big disconnect between the devs and the community.

I don't think anyone wants RO1 with better graphics, I certainly don't. What I want is to enjoy RO2.

I understand that they finally made the game THEY WANT, but it's fact that lot of people here want a different gameplay style :p

Upvote 0
    It was early in the morning (our time), I'm a Brit and he's Australian - yes, I was being facetious. He was actually supposed to edit it a bit (I was rambling badly, as you may have noticed) but decided to post the whole thing as recorded.

And I didn't say I don't like RO2 (at least, not that I remember). I think I said I prefer RO2 the way it is, to the classic that some members of the community want (and are getting). Personal preference - I've played RO since 2003 and I like the current incarnation!

As these forums prove, we can't all like the exact same thing :)

Hopefully we can all agree with Borderlands 2 :D :IS2:

Upvote 0
    Excellent interview.

Alan, I personally appreciate your (and TWI's) stance on the community. I've had quite a few experiences with games where it seemed the dev/pub took the stance of "Here's your game. Keep your feedback to yourself. The next DLC will be $15."

It's refreshing to see a company that listens. Just by implementing a "classic mode" for those who wanted it, definitely shows that TWI is listening. Add this to the continual improvement TWI is making to RO2 and I'm thoroughly impressed.

Keep in mind though, I also appreciate your stance on the morons too. :p

Thanks for the hard work. I enjoy RO2 now, and I'm looking forward to it's future.

Upvote 0
    Good interview, and Wilsonam talks a lot of sense there really. Worth a listen.

But its a shame he doesn't really quite see where critics are coming from with RO2. People want RO to move forward, but they simply don't like the way some things are implemented in RO2. Its not that everything has to be moved back to RO1, in fact from my perspective people weren't really talking about a classic mode before Yoshiro mentioned it.

You can have bleeding system, breath control, zoom, levels, unlocks whatever. But taken as a whole it moved RO gameplay away from what people liked about it in the first place. It just doesn't feel tactical enough, the shooting is far too easy and the levelling/unlock system is poorly implemented. You can have all the new features in RO2 but just tweak them so it either feels less forgiving, more tactical or more realistic. The implementation is whats up, not necessarily the fact the feature exists. Some things could just be removed though rather than exist in a form that doesn't lend itself to good gameplay, such as spawn on squad leader or second level zoom

The thing is, people would rather have RO1 with better graphics than RO2 in its current form. That wasn't what people were asking for originally though, they wanted RO2 with tweaks/overhauls of game mechanics that didn't work that well

Last edited:
    Upvote 0