• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What we are up to - Refinements Part 2

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Welcome back to part 2 of the "What we are up to - Refinement" series, and make sure you check out part one (here). Today we will be continuing to discuss some of the major upcoming changes to Red Orchestra 2, including selectable upgrades, key bindings, the scoreboard and the server browser. As always, keep in mind this is a WIP and subject to change at any time during the normal course of development.

Starting with one of the top requested items from the community: being able to select what level of weapon they go into battle with from the upgrades they have unlocked. The design for this system isn't fully finalized yet, but our early prototype consists of a toggle next to an available weapon on the class selection scrren that will allow the player to click between his unlocks.

Another top request has focused around key binds. Both the ability to separate binds out from the Interaction Key binding (Any Key) into separate keys if the user wishes. Also be made available on the binds list will be functionality for both toggle and un-toggle of prone, crouch and iron sights. With this change players will be able to more comfortably set their control scheme without having to play around with .ini files and scripts.

We are also making the scoreboard less cluttered with information and easier to use by both taking away and adding to it. What this means to the user is when he looks at the scoreboard, the only highlighted name he will see is his own. Players have also reported that in some cases depending on the players score, the player count of the server, and the players resolution, they might not show on the scoreboard before it is cut off. So additional functionality is being added so that the player will always show as the last line on the scoreboard if he falls below that cutoff.

The final item on today's refinement list is changes coming to the server browser. Players have made clear that they way to easily separate bots from live human players when selecting where they want to play. So what we are looking to do is add another number next to the player count to show the current amount. This will look something along the lines of Players/Server Size/ (Bot Number). In addition to that we are overhauling the information presented to the player in the lower left server info box to make sure it is both correct and useful to the player.

Now we have a few more refinements to talk about next time as we gear up for the re-opening of the RO 2 beta. In part 3 we will be covering refinements to the Squad Leader Spawn, Squad and Tank UI, Peripheral Indicators, and Enemy spotted systems.

Omg this can't be....... It's scary how much you guys are listening to us. It almost makes me worry that maybe you are running out of important things to improved told by us.

You are like completely remaking the game..

Yoshiro It would not be a bad idea for you to keep a summary list over things that are changed. I find it highly likely that you will find it useful in the future. (Yes I meant a personal list.)

Reactions: Sah. and Lone Rebel
    Upvote 0
    In part 3 we will be covering refinements to the Squad Leader Spawn, Squad and Tank UI, Peripheral Indicators, and Enemy spotted systems.

Don't mean to ponce about and thanks for info but may I enquire will there be later about post penetration tank issues covered? We the community have long been anticipating this please, to for at least the classic mode this be fixed.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    I have a proposal for the sl spawn; make it work reliably and the game will finally be as awesome as it can be.

If only I could get your attention just once o devs... squadleader spawn...the game will be great and full of teamwork at last!

*Or let the game automatically wait until the squadleader is spawnable if you have him selected as spawn.

Upvote 0
    Especially pertinent with the addition of being able to select the "level of weapon" is the question: Will the game remember what we selected previously, or we have to reselect each option whenever we open the Change Role menu? Because right now the Change Role menu doesn't remember that I chose "x" primary weapon and "y" sidearm for the "z" class and it's a little annoying having to choose that each time a new match starts/team is switched/etc., but with even more options to choose from it could become significantly more annoying.

Reactions: -=THOR=-
    Upvote 0
    That's the spirit!

Keep it up Mr. Tripwire!
    dancing-banana-random-24415005-320-316.gif

Reactions: Verluste
    Upvote 0
    Since you are tweaking the server browser, can't you merge the ranked and unranked server tabs? Right now making your server unranked is server suicide, because the ranked tab is the default one and nobody bothers to look at the other one. Ranked/unranked should be a server filter option instead.
    This please, it'd be awesome if people actually played the kick-*** in progress mutators :(

Upvote 0