• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What we are up to - Refinements

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Today's "What we are up to" post is bringing attention to major refinements being made to Red Orchestra 2. Since the release of the game, our own experience and player feedback has shown us how many of our systems could be improved. This includes gameplay mechanics to menu interaction. Today we will be going over the Damage Model, Bandaging, Lockdown and Native Voices.

First up is the changes we are making to the damage model of players. Currently the player takes damage in several zones. When that damage adds up to 100, he dies. Limbs have limited health points while body shots have up to 100 health and critical areas (such as the head) always cause 100 damage. When that limited hp pool of a limb is depleted, the player will no longer take damage to that area.

What is changing is how the player can take that damage. In relaxed mode: When a player has lost the health in a limb, if he bandages that health will be "refilled" so that the limb can once again take damage. In realistic mode: A player will always take damage when shot in the limb, however the amount of damage per shot on a limb will still be capped.

Complementing the refinement to the damage system is an update to bandaging. Based on feedback we have received from players we are tweaking how bandaging works on realism servers. The time it takes to bandage will be doubled, thus making it a less desirable option in the middle of a shootout.

Also being improved is Lockdown. Currently Lockdown is set per objective and starts its count right away. Player feedback has let us know that they felt it could often end a map too soon. So the rules by which Lockdown comes into play are changing. Gone is the heartless timer that would tick down. It is being replace by a timer that resets everytime the attackers have initiated an objective capture in 5 minutes or have not captured an objective in the past 7. These numbers are subject to change as we gather feedback from the beta, and sever admins will also be able to tweak those numbers themselves or disable Lockdown completely.

The last item we would like to mention today is Native Voices. Players will receive an option to enable native speakers for their team. When this option is selected, a player on the German team would hear German dialog from himself and fellow players on his team. For those seeking the greatest immersion, this will be the option for them.

Coming up in the next "What we are up to - Refinement edition" we'll be talking about selectable upgrades, key bindings, the scoreboard and changes coming to the server browser. And keep in mind that any of this is subject to change and is a WIP.

Brilliant! Love all of it!:D

But
    The last item we would like to mention today is Native Voices. Players will receive an option to enable native speakers for their team. When this option is selected, a player on the German team would hear German dialog from himself and fellow players on his team. For those seeking the greatest immersion, this will be the option for them.
    If this is enabled, will I hear english talking eneimes? -While my team will speak native.
    I personally would like to have both teams talking native.

If the bandages are nerferd very much by the longer time to bandage, I personally would have no problem it being there in Classic mode.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Brilliant! Love all of it!:D

But
    If this is enabled, will I hear english talking eneimes? -While my team will speak native.
    I personally would like to have both teams talking native.

You will never hear English speaking enemies, no matter if you choose the option or not.

Upvote 0
    I realy like the upcoming changes you mentioned Yoshiro! :)
    But if the time it takes to bandage will be doubled, it would be nice to have a little more time to get to a safe location to do this. Right now you have to bandage yourself immediately after a hit or you will die (slow death). And will the player have more weaponsway when he got a hit to his arms and things like that?

Regards Culti

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Today's "What we are up to" post is bringing attention to major refinements being made to Red Orchestra 2. Since the release of the game, our own experience and player feedback has shown us how many of our systems could be improved. This includes gameplay mechanics to menu interaction. Today we will be going over the Damage Model, Bandaging, Lockdown and Native Voices.

First up is the changes we are making to the damage model of players. Currently the player takes damage in several zones. When that damage adds up to 100, he dies. Limbs have limited health points while body shots have up to 100 health and critical areas (such as the head) always cause 100 damage. When that limited hp pool of a limb is depleted, the player will no longer take damage to that area.

What is changing is how the player can take that damage. In relaxed mode: When a player has lost the health in a limb, if he bandages that health will be "refilled" so that the limb can once again take damage. In realistic mode: A player will always take damage when shot in the limb, however the amount of damage per shot on a limb will still be capped.

Complementing the refinement to the damage system is an update to bandaging. Based on feedback we have received from players we are tweaking how bandaging works on realism servers. The time it takes to bandage will be doubled, thus making it a less desirable option in the middle of a shootout.

Also being improved is Lockdown. Currently Lockdown is set per objective and starts its count right away. Player feedback has let us know that they felt it could often end a map too soon. So the rules by which Lockdown comes into play are changing. Gone is the heartless timer that would tick down. It is being replace by a timer that resets everytime the attackers have initiated an objective capture in 5 minutes or have not captured an objective in the past 7. These numbers are subject to change as we gather feedback from the beta, and sever admins will also be able to tweak those numbers themselves or disable Lockdown completely.

Coming up in the next "What we are up to - Refinement edition" we'll be talking about selectable upgrades, key bindings, the scoreboard and changes coming to the server browser. And keep in mind that any of this is subject to change and is a WIP.
    Wow some great stuff in there Yoshiro -- the bit about Native voices is a nice surprise.

Regarding the damage model changes to realism mode, it looks like the silly issue of people being able to take infinite amounts of damage after bandaging a body region will be gone. One thing that is particularly confusing, and is something that you should perhaps preface this post with, is that these changes are independent of RO Classic mode.

So my question is, how many of these changes will also apply to RO Classic? I believe you said that bandaging won't exist in RO Classic at all, and also that bleeding also wont' exist. Did I interpret that right?

Upvote 0
    Doubling the bandaging times is a good idea.

What I really don't think is ok are the new "improvements" (by the way the term should be "changes" - not everyone sees this as an "improvement") on lockdown.

I think lockdown was/is the one of the greatest idea-implementation pair in the whole RO2. I like the way it is now, it's perfect. You have 7-8 minutes to take 1 or 2 objectives, it's enough time for everyone - only campers could complain about it.

What's even more worrying is the fact you plan to allow server admins to tweak the numbers. Come on ... can't you see there will be servers who will use ridiculous biased numbers if they don't like a particular team ? Giving the option to remove it completely is ok (I will not play too much on that servers, but maybe others will do) but giving the ability to arbitrary change the lockdown times I think it's an obvious mistake.

Native voices is one of my old dreams. I hope to a good implementation - maybe the text will be in english so everyone can understand ? I mean the guy shouts "Angriff" but the text should be "Attack".

Anything about map balances ? Reinforcements, cap-zones, spawn points etc ? I'm preparing a pretty large *pdf about this kind of things. Who is the design leader or who could I send it to ? It's been a few weeks work, I would really apreciate if someone (or more) from the design team will look at it. Just PM if you don't want to give names here :)

Upvote 0

Without me timing the current bandaging, what will that make it, around 4 seconds? Also, what about other bandaging issues? Like increasing the timeframe the player has to bandage before dying and increasing the negative effects on the player when they ignore bandaging: increased sway, visual blurring, slower movement if shot in the leg, etc. Imo, it still needs this other stuff to function properly as a bandage system.

Upvote 0
    ...and changes coming to the server browser...
    Does that mean you're gonna merge the ranked and unranked server tabs? That would be lovely and might give the unranked servers a chance :IS2:
    You will never hear English speaking enemies, no matter if you choose the option or not
    Actually, you can sometimes. There were several times I was playing as a German and heard a Russian say "I'm hit". Must be a bug or something.

Upvote 0
    Without me timing the current bandaging, what will that make it, around 4 seconds? Also, what about other bandaging issues? Like increasing the timeframe the player has to bandage before dying and increasing the negative effects on the player when they ignore bandaging: increased sway, visual blurring, slower movement if shot in the leg, etc. Imo, it still needs this other stuff to function properly as a bandage system.

I believe we will be tinkering with some things in that area in the classic mode. We'll be watching player feedback on it (like everything that we put into beta), to see if we should try moving some things to other modes.

Reactions: dsi1 and Amerikaner
    Upvote 0
    Actually, you can sometimes. There were several times I was playing as a German and heard a Russian say "I'm hit". Must be a bug or something.

Yeah I thought hearing the enemy was a given. I have heard them serveral times, "I am hit", "Enemy commander talking in the radio calling arty", taunts, death cryes. All can be heard.
    They can't possibly all be bugs!?

Upvote 0