• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What we are up to - Feb 10th Edition

thats cool and everything but it would be nice if you just fixed the bugs in normal red orchestra 2 first
like turning the music slider all the way down and music still playing in the menus
There being no bot filter i do not play this game most of the time i log in to play the game because after the 3rd server i join looking for people but filled with bots i give up
I suspect i am not alone
The game has been out half a year and is almost dead, a lack of bot filter in the server browser is most likely the cause of this
Its really not very hard to tell if the server has bots or not. Sort the game for number of players by clicking at the top of the browser. Find one with a ping you're comfortable with, click on it, look at the lower right. The players are listed there. Takes about...oh, 2 seconds? You can do the same with the steam browser. In the steam browser you can filter for bots as well. You can even access both of them from within RO while you're playing. :eek:

Don't really know what you on about....?:confused:

While I concur that too many servers run far too many bots, filtering for bots might well keep you from seeing (for example) a server running 8 bots that has 7 humans playing. You join, all bots are gone and the server fills up with other people who couldn't be arsed to join a server with a single bot. Wouldn't that be a great day for RO2? Or depending upon how the filter is set up, the filter could well keep you from seeing a server with 50 active players that only runs 8 bots.

Upvote 0
Good to see people at TWI took our advice and decided to inform us more regularly. Keeping the community in the loop is a wise decision. However, you MUST have goals and directions planned ahead. As much as people of this community want to help by suggesting ideas and solutions to some problems, they are not always good ones. I know myself from experience that if you let others influence your decisions too much, the project will lose its focus and there will be no clear direction. So take everything that you read here with a grain of salt -- sometimes people don't know what they truly want.

As far as the upcoming updates go, I am a bit skeptical about multiplayer campaign mode. Is that supposed to be like a CO-OP? Will we be forced to fight bots in the campaign? No offense, but I'm sure you know that the AI is not very intelligent in this game. Not sure how much fun it would be to play against the bots. Unless I'm completely missing the concept here.

Upvote 0
As far as the upcoming updates go, I am a bit skeptical about multiplayer campaign mode. Is that supposed to be like a CO-OP? Will we be forced to fight bots in the campaign? No offense, but I'm sure you know that the AI is not very intelligent in this game. Not sure how much fun it would be to play against the bots. Unless I'm completely missing the concept here.

That's not what the multi-player campaign is like. The way it was explained to the community months ago (check the RO Facts thread), unless something has changed, it's like a short version of Iron Crescendo / Battle for Europe. Essentially, you have two teams fighting over territories in Stalingrad, like the board-game Risk. When you win a battle over a map, you gain or hold that territory. If you loose, you loose that territory (or don't advance if you attacked).

How you did in the battle will also affect how much "war power" you have for either defense or offense. You may play all day to ultimately win or loose the city.

It sounds like a lot of fun. My only concern is we'll probably get sick of the maps in the middle of the city, as they'll be played the most. Maybe having a mode where you have to battle back from the brink (with fresh reinforcements) could alleviate this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hm, as happy as I am about all the changes and TWI's approach I have one concern:
A big portion of the community will join the RO2 beta again in order to see the upcoming changes and to support the process of improvement. That will actually lead to RO2's player stats going down and could make newcomers, or potential buyers feel that the game is really completely dead, or scare them as they see that the beta is more popular than the finished product.
I think you get my meaning?

I don't want to badmouth the approach of TWI here, quite the opposite, but maybe my German character is coming through and I am worrying too much?

Upvote 0
That's not what the multi-player campaign is like. The way it was explained to the community months ago (check the RO Facts thread),

Side note, but I just noticed facts thread said 3 death message settings: On, delayed and off. Any server admins/anyone else know if they can be changed to off and no servers run that way? I thought the off feature was dropped, but I'd love to see it.

Upvote 0
It's been so ridiculously long without this one thing that I feel that any other changes are just superfluous and stupid at this point, and it's minor:

NATIVE VOICES PLEASE. You have them, just make the option.

How lazy can you be? Changes the files and be done with it. You really think a native voices checkbox has any priority over real issues we cannot fix ourselves?

Upvote 0
My hopes are raised. This game is/was on the brink of death. I really don't want to have to find another multiplayer game out there (aside from ArmA) to regular. Nothing compares - even in it's current state. Keep up the good work TWI. You are one of the good guys in the gaming industry and I hope it stays that way.

We are only getting a new map, as in just 1 map?

Would you rather pay for your maps? Relax, I'd rather get these fixes on a higher priority over new content at the moment. We were promised free content updates from TWI and I am sure they will deliver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I loved RO1 and miss some of its aspects in RO2 (like I do not like the zoom key) but other things I do like (like the peripheral action indicators for its function to decrease camp sniping around) or spawn on squad leader (in fact I'd like to see an even better squad system like in BF3); plus I share some of the concerns that the community could be divided.

I'm sure to test it and hopefully it will bring us back more RO1 vets.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the updates.

It will be kind of a bold move putting so much beta info/material out there. Good for feedback, sure, but you just know there are going to be those players who will either: a) really pick apart some beta things as if they are final and b) flip out if something you do for a beta doesn't make it into the final version for some reason or another.

Still it will be interesting to see what is in store for us.

Upvote 0