• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"What we are up to" - Feb 3rd edition

I don't think you should take the assault away from squad leader... Just take away the semi-auto rifle. The main problem with ratios lies in the Elite Rifleman class.

I agree. 32 players per team. Depending on the map, small changes to the class loadout could be made of course, but in general, give 2-4 SLs MP40s/Semis, 4 Assaults MP40s, 4 MGs, 1 Sniper, rest rifleman.

Upvote 0
I love the majority of these changes but the one thing I still wish for is the removal of the automated character talking.

I've long stopped playing and these settings will no doubt get me playing more often but the thing that (aside from the lack of lag compensation) which I have not yet seen addressed is the monologue my character often has with himself which more often than not will result in him being called by the enemy becuase he was chattering so much.

I think it would be much better if you returned the voice commands menu from RO1 with the appropriate comments that we could even shortcut with one for GRENADE being particularly useful.

More than this I would love to see 3DVOIP like in Resistance & Liberation and that way you could do away with the voice system basically alltogether - I know it is some work but it is genuinely fantastic in RNL having to worry about the enemy hearing you in close combat.

Upvote 0
I don't think you should take the assault away from squad leader... Just take away the semi-auto rifle. The main problem with ratios lies in the Elite Rifleman class.

Yeah I agree.

As for the few people asking to instead lower the amount of assault/eliterifle the problem is the only way to get back to the Ro1 ratio you'd have to remove them completely which would be fine but it'd mean people will take the squad leader role just for a gun and that happens enough already. It's very frustrating spawning on your squad leader as a soviet in grain elevator and the guy is on the 4th floor peering out a window being utterly useless.

Upvote 0
Any chance of an elaboration on what "issues" Tripwire believes it supposedly causes, or even why the current model is worth all the disadvantages and bad press it brings?

Twi would be most welcome to sound off in the lag compensation thread where the potential problems and benefits have been discussed at length. Most prominent brought up seems to be you can get a shot off/reach cover and promptly die regardless. With moderate-low lag achievable in europe (70-200ms depending on server load) effect on shooting is felt every time you shoot at a moving target, especially point blank.

Reactions: Mekhazzio
Upvote 0
Idea

Idea

Obviously true combat realism will never be achieved in RO because of the value difference in a human life vs a virtual characters life.

Well, actually that's the essence behind all the rant going on since release. Perhaps one can add to the value of the virtual character's life by just implementing an one-day-ban everytime the virtual character dies. In other words: when you die, you are banned from all servers for 24 hours.

Now wouldn't that be a real eye-opener... haha

Upvote 0
Dude....4 months. How else am i supposed to react when yoshiro has been saying so much but you guys have delivered so little.

And then to sweeten it for me you seem to have made "classic mode" a paralleled priority to the general fixes and adding content. ...fix the bloody game first!! ...and ignore the classic mode it is stupid.

Dont come on to my board and start telling me how it is, this if for me to vent and unless you have a good response that will calm me....dont start telling me im the one not listening..or reading correctly.

Regarding the fact that over 500 players have voted for increased realism (or ro classic if you wish) over general fixes that really speaks for a good amount of the community. With the community I mean the people that are playing this game or are waiting to play it. Not the 80 percent sitting in kilts sipping Coke in front of COD BF. Ignoring the RO CLASSIC mode isn't the best choice especially regarding the fact that it was promised in the first place. TWI made a mistake with this. Their mistake was to freeze out a great deal of the core community in order to appeal to others. This must be dealt with. Most people can live with performance issues, bugs, and glitches (otherwise arma would be dead lol) but when something changes in the wrong direction with a game... there is a problem.

Upvote 0
Twi would be most welcome to sound off in the lag compensation thread where the potential problems and benefits have been discussed at length. Most prominent brought up seems to be you can get a shot off/reach cover and promptly die regardless. With moderate-low lag achievable in europe (70-200ms depending on server load) effect on shooting is felt every time you shoot at a moving target, especially point blank.

As always I will ask WTF ARE YOU DOING PLAYING AN FPS WITH 80ms+ ping and crying about **** not working right!? NOTHING will ever work right at 80-200ms. I don't care how much lag compensation you will have @ 80-200ms nothing is syncing up correctly for anyone. @ 80-200ms even with lag compensation, great you shoot at someone your client says is out in open, but dude out in open is actually long gone around a corner.... it's all ****ed at those kinds of pings!

Friggin tired of mouth breathers crying lag compensation lag compensation lag compensation and then friggin post yeah I'm usually playing @ 120-140ms. Lag compensation works effectively for everyone in the 40-70 range, cause it's still under a 1/10th of a second. Humans take about 150ms to complete a blink. and alot of stuff can happen in that moment.

Upvote 0
As always I will ask WTF ARE YOU DOING PLAYING AN FPS WITH 80ms+ ping and crying about **** not working right!? NOTHING will ever work right at 80-200ms. I don't care how much lag compensation you will have @ 80-200ms nothing is syncing up correctly for anyone. @ 80-200ms even with lag compensation, great you shoot at someone your client says is out in open, but dude out in open is actually long gone around a corner.... it's all ****ed at those kinds of pings!

Friggin tired of mouth breathers crying lag compensation lag compensation lag compensation and then friggin post yeah I'm usually playing @ 120-140ms. Lag compensation works effectively for everyone in the 40-70 range, cause it's still under a 1/10th of a second. Humans take about 150ms to complete a blink. and alot of stuff can happen in that moment.

it makes the damn game unplayable thats why we keep bringing it up , especially with only 1 populated server. i dont give a damn about the technial side of it. all i care about is if i am having fun while playing. if i cant hit a freaking target right in front of me with ~100ms ping then something is wrong and its not fun. all i know is with lag compensation i can hit anything thats right in front of me, with this networking model its just a matter of luck. I dont know or care what all factors into whether my shots hit or miss and niether does anyone else. you can try and hold this knowledge above people and act like an *** but the results are the same. this games sucks because of it

Upvote 0
Any chance of an elaboration on what "issues" Tripwire believes it supposedly causes, or even why the current model is worth all the disadvantages and bad press it brings?

Play BF3. See ALL the issues.

Yeah, I'm just hoping that isn't one of Tripwire's reasons, since it exists in their game already...

No it doesn't, there's no clientside lag compensation and everything happening in your screen is in real time if you have ticked one frame thread lag off. If you're shot behind cover, it's because you got shot THROUGH it or got a hit just before getting in cover and bled out really fast. Happens more than you think.

Regarding the fact that over 500 players have voted for increased realism (or ro classic if you wish) over general fixes that really speaks for a good amount of the community. With the community I mean the people that are playing this game or are waiting to play it. Not the 80 percent sitting in kilts sipping Coke in front of COD BF. Ignoring the RO CLASSIC mode isn't the best choice especially regarding the fact that it was promised in the first place. TWI made a mistake with this. Their mistake was to freeze out a great deal of the core community in order to appeal to others. This must be dealt with. Most people can live with performance issues, bugs, and glitches (otherwise arma would be dead lol) but when something changes in the wrong direction with a game... there is a problem.

Many who are playing aren't on these forums. They're playing. This forum is fill with old Ostfrontters (who aren't playing btw) and I doubt anyone is surprised about how that particular poll went. You could post a poll on a Star Trek forum asking which is the best Scifi-series of all time, Star Trek or Babylon 5. You'll know how that poll goes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Proud_God
He means: there is some zoom while going into IS. Then you have a button to control your breathing, but it doesn't add extra zoom.

Meh they should've done it exactly the other way around. Add a button that zooms, and add another that controls your breathing BUT it shouldn't happen instantly and you shouldn't be able to do it out of stamina. Currently you press a button and get instant perfect shot, which is the biggest issue in the game atm.

Upvote 0
Play BF3. See ALL the issues.

I would like to see Tripwire's reasons rather than someone else's speculation.

No it doesn't, there's no clientside lag compensation and everything happening in your screen is in real time if you have ticked one frame thread lag off. If you're shot behind cover, it's because you got shot THROUGH it or got a hit just before getting in cover and bled out really fast. Happens more than you think.

Okay, that's completely nonsensical. It doesn't even stand up to the most basic of examination: if that were true, that you were seeing everything in real time, you wouldn't need to lead for latency.

As for the idea that you can't die behind cover, time to educate yourself:
RO2: "dying around a corner" - YouTube(Note the particle effects clipping through the wall as the MG lights it up; this was done to demonstrate the inevitable speculation that the shot was made through the wall. It was not, the bullets can not penetrate that wall.)

What you say would have been true in early Quake 1, when you had a delay between your movement input and the server passing back the information that you moved the way you wanted to, while you see yourself standing still until the information gets there and moves you along. In a game that doesn't have server authority over every single action, you can move and act freely on your client, and you simply send that data into the server. This is how RO2 (And really, the vast majority of games) do that portion of the networking. So, say you have a 50ms delay to the server. You move, then 50ms later the server sees you start moving, and (say) 50ms after that the other people see you move. Nobody's computer agrees about where anyone is. What the other people see is your movements 100ms ago, what the server sees is your movements 50ms ago, and what you see is what your movements are right now. It's a basic flaw of physics, actually; it takes time for stuff to get places. The networking model a game uses is that game's decision on how to handle that discrepancy.

Seriously, this is basic internet gaming mechanics. It should be blatantly obvious, yet I'm continually amazed by how many people repeat things that have no basis in fact. Client-side, server-side, it doesn't matter. The only way to get rid of that is a target-side model where the target decides if it's been hit, and the flaws in that are even more extreme than the ones we have now!

Reactions: Dumba [cro]
Upvote 0
The thing about native voices is that your fellow soldiers actually say some useful information sometimes and if would be in russian or german most people wouldn't understand what their own teammates say. Subtitles would solve it but it takes some time.

Like what? They're shouting "MG"? Even when he fires his pistol? :confused:

Reactions: Goten
Upvote 0
Many who are playing aren't on these forums. They're playing. This forum is fill with old Ostfrontters (who aren't playing btw) and I doubt anyone is surprised about how that particular poll went. You could post a poll on a Star Trek forum asking which is the best Scifi-series of all time, Star Trek or Babylon 5. You'll know how that poll goes.
Why don't you just make your own poll? Who here plays HoS regularly? Until then your speculation is pointless. And even if the people playing aren't posting here something needs to draw in new players as the player count we have at the moment isn't sustainable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coopsta
Upvote 0
No, the realism mode was intended to be... realism mode.

Hello Wilsonam, thanks for visiting us here.

Could you be more specific or define what realism is for you dear TWI?

I never thought that possibility to use bandages within 1 second is realism - thing.
How realistic it is when soldier hit in center of mass, but bandaged is still fully combat effective w/o any drawbacks?
Why Mkb's (never seen in combat use, produced in 100k units) are more common than standard issue MP-40?
Why you cannot kill a guy when you hit him, even multiple times in a leg/hand?
Why you cannot shot out a gun from a hand? How is it realistic?
Why you can have same sprinting speed upstairs and along the road or flat ground?

Or should I ask how is HoS more realistic than RO:O?

Upvote 0
Hello Wilsonam, thanks for visiting us here.

Could you be more specific or define what realism is for you dear TWI?

I never thought that possibility to use bandages within 1 second is realism - thing.
How realistic it is when soldier hit in center of mass, but bandaged is still fully combat effective w/o any drawbacks?
Why Mkb's (never seen in combat use, produced in 100k units) are more common than standard issue MP-40?
Why you cannot kill a guy when you hit him, even multiple times in a leg/hand?
Why you cannot shot out a gun from a hand? How is it realistic?
Why you can have same sprinting speed upstairs and along the road or flat ground?

Or should I ask how is HoS more realistic than RO:O?

Lol, touch

Upvote 0