• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"What we are up to" - Feb 3rd edition

:(

This is the real problem with the game. Making everyone badly shortsighted and arthritic doesn't sound like an improvement to me. I doubt anyone could fault shooting depending on real life bullet ballistics instead of fluctuating network/server lag.

It`s going to kill the game for sure,but some people think that fixing a detachable bayonett is more important then the gamecore.

I cant believe the non lag compensation decision.I mean the game is really niche with a spred out userbase and its unplayable for anybody with a ping higher then 200(for me its really bad if the ping goes higher then 60).

Upvote 0
this_pleases_gaga.jpg

Upvote 0
Why would you do that? The human eye can easily see soldiers at 400-500m. What is difficult is hitting them, not seeing them. But eliminating zoom would mean that all shooting beyond 150m is negated or just becomes pixel hunting.
I can't play RO1 anymore because I don't want that damn pixel shooting anymore!! You can't be friggin serious....
I think you guys are missing the point. It's not about being realistic or even being particularly coherent game design, it's about being like RO1. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is pretty much the whole intent.
As far as what we are doing with networking, we are not adding lag compensation or client side hit detection. But we are looking to find what is going crazy in our current system and fix it. We aim to provide a similar experience to RO 1 and much of what we are doing involves watching and digging into the engine to find out what it is doing differently so we can address it.
"We're not going to remove this spear stuck through his chest, but we will try to find out why the patient is losing blood." The problems that everyone sees with the networking is not exceptional behavior, it's the expected result of the design. It was less noticeable in RO1 only because everyone moved so slowly.

Upvote 0
Proud god,

The weapon levels refer to the functionality/attachements on the weapons themselves and not to the stat bonuses.

The peripheral indicators and many other systems such as the bleeding system are ones we are looking at for refinements in the other modes. We'll see if there is enough call from the community for the updated features in classic or not. I'll probably be talking more about some of our refinements in the coming weeks along with the new map.

please, for the love of god don't listen to that guy. We do not need SMG's with level 25 stats bonuses, MG's with level 50 stats bonuses, and Bolts/Semis with level 0. That would be silly. All level 0 pls, thx, Sah.

Upvote 0
That looks good but:

Hm, not too sure on this as NCOs revived short ranged weapons so they could focus on commanding than sniping. As I said before, all what needs to be done about NCOs is to have the class scale to player or remove Assault class for the Germans so that they are in that ratio of SMGs and give the Russian NCOs bolts w/ pistols...

I agree. German SL's loadout in real life did include the machine pistol, but no side arm. Also note, German snipers sometimes carried an MP40 or a pistol as a backup as well.

Below is the real life Loadout of a German Squad, taken from a German field manual.

Squad Leader:
  • Machine pistol/6 mags
  • Mag loader
  • Field Glasses
  • Wire cutters
  • Compass
  • Signal whistle
  • Searchlight
Machine-gunner No. 1
  • MG34/belt and 50 rnd drum
  • Tool pouch
  • Pistol
  • Spade
  • Sun Glasses
  • Searchlight
Machine-gunner No.2 (assistant)
  • Barrel-protector with spare barrel
  • 4 drums with 50 rds each
  • Ammo belt
  • Pistol
  • Ammo box (300 rounds)
  • Spade
  • Sun glasses
Riflemen
  • 98k/ammo
  • Spade
  • Grenades
Snipers
  • German snipers sometimes carried an MP40 or a pistol as a backup.
*Source: Special Series, No. 9 January 25, 1943
German Squad in Combat translated by US Military Intelligence Service War Dept

Last edited:
Reactions: Verluste
Upvote 0
Just a few of my immediate reactions:
- The difference between standard & realism modes is so tiny (minimap & pistols) I don't understand why "RO Classic" would not just be the new realism mode.
- I don't mind that squad leaders would only have bolts but that is missing the real problem which is there are too many squad leaders to begin with. Look at the squad selection in a 64 player server. There are 6 half empty squads. Would it not make more sense to adjust the squad sizes so there are only 1-3 squads depending on server size? Then squad leaders could retain at least an SMG.
- MKB & AVT should be removed entirely from "classic" mode.

Upvote 0
  • Removal of peripheral action indicators Why? They were a good thing, you only needed to fix them.
  • Removal of spawn on Squad Leader Again,why? Nothing wrong with it, helps keep the squads together. See Project Realism for true teamplay, this kills it totally.
  • Removal of the bleeding system (Player will always take 100% of the damage to an area on the shot and not half then bleed the rest out like in the current system) Again, why? It was a good thing, you only needed to fix and improve.
  • Players will have a movement speed penalty after being shot in the feet Finally something I can agree with.
  • Stamina will have a much greater effect on weapon sway and recoil Same as above.
  • Stance will have an increased effect on weapon sway/recoil (with the default standing state having more sway then the current game modes)Same as above.
  • Removal of "controlled breathing" zoom, but retaining the functionality to help steady the weapon as well as the slight iron sight zoom Again, good feature that only needed fixing.
  • Stamina will recharge at a slower rate Depends on how it is, can't comment yet.
  • No AI Tank Gunnery Exactly as it should've been since the start
  • No Lockdown Exactly as it should've been since the start

Not very thrilled.

2 I can straight off agree with.

-Detachable bayonets?

:confused:

I hope you're trolling. That's a useless feature that will waste developer time to code and animate in. It didn't have any effect in RO:OST and it doesn't have any effect in RO2. So why not just let the bayonet be there all the time? Do you really want to press F every time you spawn to attach a bayonet? REALLY?

Have you tried the LMGs at lvl 0? they have more vertical climb than **insert shady joke**

That's because they're LIGHT machine guns that you're supposed to burst-fire with, not hold the trigger and spray an area. I was in the army, and that's how we were taught. Take your complaints to Finnish Army please. Nothing against tweaking, but imo it's fine.

Edit: Did you downvoters even read my post before just hitting the red button?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Zoom button should be disabled for the classic mode imo, I think they got the right idea atm. They said a slight zoom would be there for iron sights which I would rather still was not there but I would take it as a compromise.

Personally I think the lack of zoom was one of the best features of RO. Its immersion breaking to suddenly feel like you took out a pair of invisible binoculars and people should be encouraged to get up and push to the cap zones, not sit and snipe all day with easy long range shots. In RO2 the kills feel the same as in any other FPS, doesn't feel realistic or rewarding more like everyone has a sniper rifle/sniper smg

I prefer no zoom but why not make the shift zoom thesame as the max ironsight zoom. By default i have zoom fully disabled in ironsight. No shift zoom at all means that i can then never get zoom while others can.

I dont want to zoom when going into ironsights as it makes cqc claustrophobic. But i want it for long range which is why i fully disabled IS zoom.

If shift zoom is simply not any bigger than IS zoom then people can simply choose how they want to control the game.

Reactions: Agent()()9
Upvote 0
I prefer no zoom but why not make the shift zoom thesame as the max ironsight zoom. By default i have zoom fully disabled in ironsight. No shift zoom at all means that i can then never get zoom while others can.

I dont want to zoom when going into ironsights as it makes cqc claustrophobic. But i want it for long range which is why i fully disabled IS zoom.

If shift zoom is simply not any bigger than IS zoom then people can simply choose how they want to control the game.

The only thing I miss when I play Project Reality is the ability to zoom. My eyes and back hurts when I'm nerd-crouching against the screen to see people 200 meters away.

Upvote 0
I hope you're trolling. That's a useless feature that will waste developer time to code and animate in. It didn't have any effect in RO:OST and it doesn't have any effect in RO2. So why not just let the bayonet be there all the time? Do you really want to press F every time you spawn to attach a bayonet? REALLY?

They did have an effect in RO1 and that was more sway. It's an tactical desision, but being able to start with it would be nice, especially on small maps.

That's because they're LIGHT machine guns that you're supposed to burst-fire with, not hold the trigger and spray an area. I was in the army, and that's how we were taught. Take your complaints to Finnish Army please. Nothing against tweaking, but imo it's fine.

In ww2 they didin't have proper terms for MG's yet, the mg34 and mg42 was completely new type of mg. Today it would be considered an Medium mg or an general-purpose machine gun. The MG3 is an medium MG if you need an example.

As of now, you will have problems even hitting a targets far away with burst fire with lvl 0. The only way to use it would be ramboing and use of single fire. Just like in the Finnish army ey?:rolleyes:

Thanks for answering Yoshiro:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0