Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

"What we are up to" - Feb 3rd edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spacehogking View Post
    I don't think you should take the assault away from squad leader... Just take away the semi-auto rifle. The main problem with ratios lies in the Elite Rifleman class.
    Yeah I agree.

As for the few people asking to instead lower the amount of assault/eliterifle the problem is the only way to get back to the Ro1 ratio you'd have to remove them completely which would be fine but it'd mean people will take the squad leader role just for a gun and that happens enough already. It's very frustrating spawning on your squad leader as a soviet in grain elevator and the guy is on the 4th floor peering out a window being utterly useless.

Comment

• Originally posted by PhoenixDragon View Post
      Any chance of an elaboration on what "issues" Tripwire believes it supposedly causes, or even why the current model is worth all the disadvantages and bad press it brings?
      Twi would be most welcome to sound off in the lag compensation thread where the potential problems and benefits have been discussed at length. Most prominent brought up seems to be you can get a shot off/reach cover and promptly die regardless. With moderate-low lag achievable in europe (70-200ms depending on server load) effect on shooting is felt every time you shoot at a moving target, especially point blank.

Comment

• Idea

Originally posted by Westernesse View Post
        Obviously true combat realism will never be achieved in RO because of the value difference in a human life vs a virtual characters life.
        Well, actually that's the essence behind all the rant going on since release. Perhaps one can add to the value of the virtual character's life by just implementing an one-day-ban everytime the virtual character dies. In other words: when you die, you are banned from all servers for 24 hours.

Now wouldn't that be a real eye-opener... haha

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Draper View Post
          Dont come on to my board and start telling me how it is,
          Not sure if serious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barleyman View Post
            Most prominent brought up seems to be you can get a shot off/reach cover and promptly die regardless.
            Yeah, I'm just hoping that isn't one of Tripwire's reasons, since it exists in their game already...

Comment

• Originally posted by Nestor Makhno View Post
              Not sure if serious.
              I can identify with that. There were a large number of us that were thinking the same thing when TWI released RO2
              If being a competitive gamer means doing this then I've never been more proud to proclaim that I am not a "competitive" gamer

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Draper View Post
                Dude....4 months. How else am i supposed to react when yoshiro has been saying so much but you guys have delivered so little.

And then to sweeten it for me you seem to have made "classic mode" a paralleled priority to the general fixes and adding content. ...fix the bloody game first!! ...and ignore the classic mode it is stupid.

Dont come on to my board and start telling me how it is, this if for me to vent and unless you have a good response that will calm me....dont start telling me im the one not listening..or reading correctly.
                Regarding the fact that over 500 players have voted for increased realism (or ro classic if you wish) over general fixes that really speaks for a good amount of the community. With the community I mean the people that are playing this game or are waiting to play it. Not the 80 percent sitting in kilts sipping Coke in front of COD BF. Ignoring the RO CLASSIC mode isn't the best choice especially regarding the fact that it was promised in the first place. TWI made a mistake with this. Their mistake was to freeze out a great deal of the core community in order to appeal to others. This must be dealt with. Most people can live with performance issues, bugs, and glitches (otherwise arma would be dead lol) but when something changes in the wrong direction with a game... there is a problem.
                ''Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.''
                - Edward H. Harriman

Originally posted by Rabid Penguin
                I would rather blowtorch my nipples off than play Action Mode.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barleyman View Post
                  Twi would be most welcome to sound off in the lag compensation thread where the potential problems and benefits have been discussed at length. Most prominent brought up seems to be you can get a shot off/reach cover and promptly die regardless. With moderate-low lag achievable in europe (70-200ms depending on server load) effect on shooting is felt every time you shoot at a moving target, especially point blank.
                  As always I will ask WTF ARE YOU DOING PLAYING AN FPS WITH 80ms+ ping and crying about **** not working right!? NOTHING will ever work right at 80-200ms. I don't care how much lag compensation you will have @ 80-200ms nothing is syncing up correctly for anyone. @ 80-200ms even with lag compensation, great you shoot at someone your client says is out in open, but dude out in open is actually long gone around a corner.... it's all ****ed at those kinds of pings!

Friggin tired of mouth breathers crying lag compensation lag compensation lag compensation and then friggin post yeah I'm usually playing @ 120-140ms. Lag compensation works effectively for everyone in the 40-70 range, cause it's still under a 1/10th of a second. Humans take about 150ms to complete a blink. and alot of stuff can happen in that moment.

Comment

• Dont come on to my board and start telling me how it is,
                    Where did I put that vacation button..

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Cook View Post
                      As always I will ask WTF ARE YOU DOING PLAYING AN FPS WITH 80ms+ ping and crying about **** not working right!? NOTHING will ever work right at 80-200ms. I don't care how much lag compensation you will have @ 80-200ms nothing is syncing up correctly for anyone. @ 80-200ms even with lag compensation, great you shoot at someone your client says is out in open, but dude out in open is actually long gone around a corner.... it's all ****ed at those kinds of pings!

Friggin tired of mouth breathers crying lag compensation lag compensation lag compensation and then friggin post yeah I'm usually playing @ 120-140ms. Lag compensation works effectively for everyone in the 40-70 range, cause it's still under a 1/10th of a second. Humans take about 150ms to complete a blink. and alot of stuff can happen in that moment.
                      it makes the damn game unplayable thats why we keep bringing it up , especially with only 1 populated server. i dont give a damn about the technial side of it. all i care about is if i am having fun while playing. if i cant hit a freaking target right in front of me with ~100ms ping then something is wrong and its not fun. all i know is with lag compensation i can hit anything thats right in front of me, with this networking model its just a matter of luck. I dont know or care what all factors into whether my shots hit or miss and niether does anyone else. you can try and hold this knowledge above people and act like an *** but the results are the same. this games sucks because of it

Comment

• Quote: Originally Posted by Proud_God
                        He means: there is some zoom while going into IS. Then you have a button to control your breathing, but it doesn't add extra zoom.

Originally posted by Yoshiro View Post
                        This is correct.
                        This is completely wrong. It should be exactly the opposite.

Comment

• Originally posted by SparePoerisija View Post
                          Play BF3. See ALL the issues.
                          I would like to see Tripwire's reasons rather than someone else's speculation.

No it doesn't, there's no clientside lag compensation and everything happening in your screen is in real time if you have ticked one frame thread lag off. If you're shot behind cover, it's because you got shot THROUGH it or got a hit just before getting in cover and bled out really fast. Happens more than you think.
                          Okay, that's completely nonsensical. It doesn't even stand up to the most basic of examination: if that were true, that you were seeing everything in real time, you wouldn't need to lead for latency.

As for the idea that you can't die behind cover, time to educate yourself:
                          RO2: "dying around a corner" - YouTube(Note the particle effects clipping through the wall as the MG lights it up; this was done to demonstrate the inevitable speculation that the shot was made through the wall. It was not, the bullets can not penetrate that wall.)

What you say would have been true in early Quake 1, when you had a delay between your movement input and the server passing back the information that you moved the way you wanted to, while you see yourself standing still until the information gets there and moves you along. In a game that doesn't have server authority over every single action, you can move and act freely on your client, and you simply send that data into the server. This is how RO2 (And really, the vast majority of games) do that portion of the networking. So, say you have a 50ms delay to the server. You move, then 50ms later the server sees you start moving, and (say) 50ms after that the other people see you move. Nobody's computer agrees about where anyone is. What the other people see is your movements 100ms ago, what the server sees is your movements 50ms ago, and what you see is what your movements are right now. It's a basic flaw of physics, actually; it takes time for stuff to get places. The networking model a game uses is that game's decision on how to handle that discrepancy.

Seriously, this is basic internet gaming mechanics. It should be blatantly obvious, yet I'm continually amazed by how many people repeat things that have no basis in fact. Client-side, server-side, it doesn't matter. The only way to get rid of that is a target-side model where the target decides if it's been hit, and the flaws in that are even more extreme than the ones we have now!

Comment

• Originally posted by Crusher View Post
                            The thing about native voices is that your fellow soldiers actually say some useful information sometimes and if would be in russian or german most people wouldn't understand what their own teammates say. Subtitles would solve it but it takes some time.
                            Like what? They're shouting "MG"? Even when he fires his pistol?
                            [URL="http://izismile.com/"][IMG]http://izismile.com/img/img2/20090728/1000/hitler_08.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• Originally posted by SparePoerisija View Post
                              Many who are playing aren't on these forums. They're playing. This forum is fill with old Ostfrontters (who aren't playing btw) and I doubt anyone is surprised about how that particular poll went. You could post a poll on a Star Trek forum asking which is the best Scifi-series of all time, Star Trek or Babylon 5. You'll know how that poll goes.
                              Why don't you just make your own poll? Who here plays HoS regularly? Until then your speculation is pointless. And even if the people playing aren't posting here something needs to draw in new players as the player count we have at the moment isn't sustainable.
                              Last edited by M55ikael; 02-06-2012, 09:13 AM.
                              Playing regularly on European servers - Col. Klink

Comment

• Originally posted by [TW]Wilsonam View Post
                                No, the realism mode was intended to be... realism mode.
                                Hello Wilsonam, thanks for visiting us here.

Could you be more specific or define what realism is for you dear TWI?

I never thought that possibility to use bandages within 1 second is realism - thing.
                                How realistic it is when soldier hit in center of mass, but bandaged is still fully combat effective w/o any drawbacks?
                                Why Mkb's (never seen in combat use, produced in 100k units) are more common than standard issue MP-40?
                                Why you cannot kill a guy when you hit him, even multiple times in a leg/hand?
                                Why you cannot shot out a gun from a hand? How is it realistic?
                                Why you can have same sprinting speed upstairs and along the road or flat ground?

Or should I ask how is HoS more realistic than RO:O?

Comment

Working...
                                X