• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"What we are up to" - Feb 3rd edition

My question is there is Realism, Relaxed, and Custom. There will be Realism, Relaxed, Classic. Will Custom truly allow any combination of variables from all three modes? That would be great, in my opinion. Ultimately if that would be the case I think the most popular server choice would end up being some form of Custom mode rather than Classic.

If any changes for classic mode are easy to add options for, they will probably show up in custom. However options that are not so easy will likely not show up unless there is a big community push for them down the road.

Upvote 0
I agree. 32 players per team. Depending on the map, small changes to the class loadout could be made of course, but in general, give 2-4 SLs MP40s/Semis, 4 Assaults MP40s, 4 MGs, 1 Sniper, rest rifleman.

Isn't that pretty close to a German platoon's composition later in the war? It seems pretty close to me. I don't remember the Russian's off the top of my head.
Shouldn't the historical standard be what we're aiming for? I tend to believe that. But, you're talking to a guy who grew up playing the ole' Advanced Squad Leader wargames on the table.

Upvote 0
I like everything but I don't feel spawn on leader should be removed. It does need to be improved but for people doing team play being able to stay close to your squad works well. I have seen a number of maps were good SL and squads using spawn on squad leader can effectively assault areas well. As long as you can't spawn within an enemy cap zone it works fine.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I decided to finally register and reply to this "What we are up to" thread since it makes me quite happy to hear what you guys over at Tripwire are working on. :D

I suppose I will state that I never played Red Orchestra 1 or the original mod. I joined the Red Orchestra bandwagon with the Red Orchestra 2 beta. In fact, I had never even heard of the Red Orchestra series before the pre-order for RO2 went up on Steam. I did some research into what this series was all about and found the premise to be extremely interesting (also....HATS!), so my brother and I both pre-ordered.

Well...I got 28 hours of playtime into it before I was sick to death of the game. As what many of the more senior members on this forum have stated over and over...RO2 feels like a game that doesn't know what it is. I was expecting a slow paced, team-based, historical WWII shooter and what I played was Call of Duty with clunkier controls, tons of bugs and huge netcode problems.

This is not just another hate-filled rant against the game. I believe this forum has plenty of those to go around. I just posted my thoughts above to show that the release of RO2 alienated more than just the long time fans. This all being said, RO2 has tons of potential. With the numerous changes that you guys over at Tripwire are working on (most notably the "RO classic" mode), in addition to bug fixes and new content, I have faith that RO2 will become a great game.

I actually like to compare RO2 to another game that I own: Empire: Total War. I'm actually a hard core RTS gamer that occasionally plays shooters. For those who don't know, Empire: Total War was a disaster at launch. Far worse than RO2 in regards to bugs and game play problems. After 7 massive (we are talking gbs in size) patches the game can be charitably described as being in a buggy, but functional state. Yet, for all the game's flaws at launch it had great potential. To date I have logged 644 hours (which is a lot for me) into Empire.

Therefore, even though I'm not playing RO2 now I will certainly return once more fixes, game play changes and new content is rolled out. Plus the "Rising Storm" expansion is shaping up to be pretty amazing from what I have seen and heard.

Anyways, that is my long winded entry into these forums. I will see you guys around I suppose. :)

P.S. What is with the :IS2:?

Upvote 0
But this has been shown to be a potentially very invalid point. As it is now the playerbase is rather fragile and I for one do not really have much choice of servers and this is irrespective of mode. I'll play relaxed or hardcore or custom so long as it's all or mostly players and the ping is acceptable. That leaves me 1 or 2 servers to choose from at any given time. But Classic is going to be hugely different so now the mode will matter a little. The largest proportion of new players this change will bring will be those preferring the Classic mode. High demand for one mode does not really help those who want the others. I'm not saying that this is bad for the game at large. If overall numbers come up and stay up, that's good for the game. But the notion that "it won't affect you" is so wrong and interested it sounds like a campaign stump speech talking point. For example, I really really like Countdown. But it never gets run on servers I can play on at the times I play on. So I regrettably can't play Countdown. This is a combination of both player and server choice, that's quite true. But to say I actually have the choice or that servers choosing not to run Countdown didn't affect me would be totally false. So just turn the tables in your imagination and think about the scenario if it turned out the other way. That with changes to the game's realism mode, it turned out that actually RO Classic never got run on the servers you can get a good connection to and have actual good number of players. Would it be correct or fair to say that the existence of the Realism mode competing with the Classic mode "won't affect you?" Not at all.

If the 1 or 2 servers that someone can play on because of population or latency decide to convert to the new classic mode, that person is left without a choice. If they like the new mode, it's great for them. If they don't, it very much will affect their experience of the game. It might be that people who don't like the new mode will be able to trickle down to adventitious servers. Or there won't be any of those that work well for the player. It remains to be seen. But as has pointed out, that theory didn't work well with Countdown and it didn't work well with relaxed realism.

I'm not judging the Classic mode yet, I'm just saying it's possible I'll have little choice about whether it's running on the 1 or 2 servers I can play on. I will say, however, that I prefer RO2 to RO1 so far. I'm looking forward to the refinements to existing realism elements that have been hinted at so far. It'll be unfortunate if those hardly get seen because of what servers are running it however..

My question is there is Realism, Relaxed, and Custom. There will be Realism, Relaxed, Classic. Will Custom truly allow any combination of variables from all three modes? That would be great, in my opinion. Ultimately if that would be the case I think the most popular server choice would end up being some form of Custom mode rather than Classic.

your arguement doesnt really make much sense to me :/
modes that arent being played by servers (aka fightfight, countdown) because NOBODY LIKES IT. now to say nobody wants to play it might be a little harsh (since obviously you and maybe 2 other people do) the majority would rather play territory, thats why theres no servers with it on. if the same happens to realism after classic comes out how is that bad? it just proves the point that the majority want to play the gamemode closest to RO1. even though i doubt it will happen since there apears to be enough people wineing about it that you could probably keep one server on the old realism and do fine.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for posting, but seeing "realim/realistic" and "RO2" (in it's current state) in the same sentence pisses me off.

Its the same as calling BF3's HC mode "realistic" cuz it has mantling, suppression, high damage and bipods.. whee! See the similarities?

Realistic is the behaviour of players. As long as SMG charging into rooms is more effective than carefully leaning around corners, or telling ur buds about enemies is a waste of time because you can UT-instagib them 4x faster, RO2 will remain a yet subpar arcade shooter for me.

Upvote 0
Too little too late? You decide.

If this was any other game and any other developer it would be too late - but it's not.

TWI developed a very unique game with RO1 and they gave us exceptional good support for a very long time. This helped build a stable and loyal player base and community. This player base and community may not be playing RO2 at the moment - because TWI screwed up in designing the game play of RO2 - but they did not run away. They still believe that TWI will listen to them, like they did in the past, and change the course of RO2. Right now, it seems that TWI is actually listening to the community, and if they manage to deliver a RO-experience in the spirit of RO1, the old player base and community will be back in their boots with a bolt rifle over their shoulders.

Upvote 0
Thank you for joining up and lending your views to the discussion. Welcome aboard!

Thanks! I recognize your name...I believe my younger brother is friends with you on Steam (he is The_Communist_Tsar).

Hello and welcome.

The :IS2: is the glorious IS2 tank. Best tank of world war 2, just google it.
It's an internal joke on this forum, look at this thread you'll get it haha. http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=7019

And btw the IS2 is no joke, it is gloriousness incarnate :IS2:

Hahaha, that thread is....interesting to say the least. XD

I always wondered why the IS2 kept coming up...I was under the impression that it wasn't the greatest. Long reload times, poor armour penetration and low ammunition capacity hehehehe. ;)

Upvote 0
No, the realism mode was intended to be... realism mode. "classic" is intended for those old hands who want more of the original RO feel to the game - warts and all, in some cases.

I have serious issues with this statement as it shows the gulf between TWs and my own sense (and dare I say that of probably many other players) of "WW2 gaming realism" that we hoped to find in RO2: We are simply not on the same page, players and devs are disconnected and apparently TW is fine with that.

"Hey players, we give you that [RO Classic] while we keep this [Realism Mode] - how does that sound?" -TW

It sounds like splitting an already depleted community even further.
It sounds like a missed opportunity to bring everyone back in one boat instead of having several floats of dubious flotation characteristics.
It sounds like I cannot trust TWs sense for WW2 anymore.

I hope I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
I have serious issues with this statement as it shows the gulf between TWs and my own sense (and dare I say that of probably many other players) of "WW2 gaming realism" that we hoped to find in RO2: We are simply not on the same page, players and devs are disconnected and apparently TW is fine with that.

I don't think the same people who came up with the concept of RO the mod/Ostfront are the same people who making decisions on RO2 gameplay. Or key members left who may have balanced the gameplay preferences of certain devs. Or they just wanted to try something new/more mainstream

If you look into Insurgency Mod for Source engine you will see some members of that team worked on RO originally. From Wiki for Insurgency mod:

"A key turning point in development came when Jeremy Blum, founder of the Red Orchestra mod, joined the team with other former Red Orchestra developers. Another, more important turning point came when Jeremy Blum left the team."

Insurgency had gameplay similar to old RO but the source engine just wasn't good enough for the type of game, and they had lots of issues with development. It had quite some hype at the time and initial popularity but it wasn't a very professional release really. Look into Infiltration mod too I believe that was the precursor to Insurgency

Upvote 0

"Hey players, we give you that [RO Classic] while we keep this [Realism Mode] - how does that sound?" -TW

It sounds like a missed opportunity to bring everyone back in one boat instead of having several floats of dubious flotation characteristics.

I hope I'm wrong.

I thought mostly the same thing when I read that statement. It's more like "Here! Take it! You whined and whined about the game mode so just take it. We still KNOW that Realism Mode is the best mode and is the bread winner" even thought the mode they brought up so much isn't realistic enough since most of the players that played at launch were expecting something different then the "Realism" mode that TWI thinks is so realistic.

Then again, who cares. What's done is done and they can't relaunch their game to keep the thousands of players that were dissatisfied. At least they are implementing the mode and we will finally see if "RO Classic" is more popular then "Realism" mod.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I hope I'm wrong.

There's two ways to read into his post. A is that 'intended' was more intention then materialization. The second is a fair bit more bleak.

Upvote 0
Like I said before. Ro classic mode should be an emulation of Ro1 into the new engine. Maybe a few little tweaks... like mantling.

(This is basically what I think the majority of the community assumed we WERE getting).

No. Perhaps its incorrectly named but "RO Classic", or what the community has been wanting it to be, is supposed to be a gameplay mode that feels like a proper successor to RO1. It is NOT supposed to be an emulation and its NOT supposed to be RO1 on a new engine. Somewhere along the line, old RO players wanting a game mode more similar to old RO was taken as the old players wanted old RO. This is useless because you can play Ostfront for that. We want a game mode that would be a proper successor to RO1. This is what RO-Realism should be. There's no need for an RO Classic. It's not that hard to understand.

This forum is honestly ridiculous at this point.

Upvote 0