• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"What we are up to" - Feb 3rd edition

I would like to see Tripwire's reasons rather than someone else's speculation.

Okay, that's completely nonsensical. It doesn't even stand up to the most basic of examination: if that were true, that you were seeing everything in real time, you wouldn't need to lead for latency.

As for the idea that you can't die behind cover, time to educate yourself:
RO2: "dying around a corner" - YouTube(Note the particle effects clipping through the wall as the MG lights it up; this was done to demonstrate the inevitable speculation that the shot was made through the wall. It was not, the bullets can not penetrate that wall.)

What you say would have been true in early Quake 1, when you had a delay between your movement input and the server passing back the information that you moved the way you wanted to, while you see yourself standing still until the information gets there and moves you along. In a game that doesn't have server authority over every single action, you can move and act freely on your client, and you simply send that data into the server. This is how RO2 (And really, the vast majority of games) do that portion of the networking. So, say you have a 50ms delay to the server. You move, then 50ms later the server sees you start moving, and (say) 50ms after that the other people see you move. Nobody's computer agrees about where anyone is. What the other people see is your movements 100ms ago, what the server sees is your movements 50ms ago, and what you see is what your movements are right now. It's a basic flaw of physics, actually; it takes time for stuff to get places. The networking model a game uses is that game's decision on how to handle that discrepancy.

Seriously, this is basic internet gaming mechanics. It should be blatantly obvious, yet I'm continually amazed by how many people repeat things that have no basis in fact. Client-side, server-side, it doesn't matter. The only way to get rid of that is a target-side model where the target decides if it's been hit, and the flaws in that are even more extreme than the ones we have now!

The video you posted demonstrates lag. If you add lag compensation to that, he'd have made it behind the corner, started reloading and looked the other way and THEN died to bullets from that MG. Of course there's a slight delay because data has to move over the internet. You have to compensate for that delay when firing, yes. Adding lag compensation just trades one problem for another.

Upvote 0
By all means.
I know RO 1 wasn't realistic. You sure like to mention that a lot.

But the things he posted were funny and correct ^^

You can reload while crawling. And I mean, you can insert a clip into a bolt-action rifle while moving around on your belly. Damn snakes.

Magic nanobots fix all the damage you get unless it's lethal. You're only hurt for around 4-5 seconds.

Tanks have set amount of hitpoints and can be invincible if you angle them correctly. Even bounces take a small amount of hitpoints away and that's why you can explode from shell that bounced.

The usual list of how people are slow, drunk and can't see.

Engagement ranges for all weapons are 100-200 meters too short due to inability to see further/fire your gun accurately past the 50 meter point.

I won't continue because it serves no purpose, but when people cry "ro2 is unrealistic because of x and y" they always forget that z and j were present in OST and somehow it was more realistic?

Neither at the moment is an accurate representation of actual combat. HoS has more potential to be one one day, but not with the implementation of classic mode.

Upvote 0
How about slowing down playermovement alltogether? The current speeds are too high.

I'm not even talking about stairs and slopes.

How are they too high when anyone can run that fast easily? Only thing that's too fast is reload when leveled up enough and lining (not bringing! that is fast in real life) up the sights for an accurate shot. You can snap-shoot as fast as in RO2 in real life, but you can't take an accurate shot to a distance. This must be fixed.

Edit: agreed about slopes and stairs, add rubble to that list also.

Edit2: While removing human abilities and having a 'nerfed' avatar can be used to simulate combat in a flawed environment, how about we don't 'nerf' or gimp remove anything actual human is capable of, but instead fix the environment? Move spawns further away, get bigger maps and open some room to maneuver/have firefights over. Current maps are all smaller than effective range of a rifle and THAT is what's wrong. We don't need to have unrealistically short engagement ranges due to no zoom and huge sway when it all can be fixed by increasing map size and making team start further away from each other.

No need for psedo-realism when we can have actual, proper realism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devil_Inside
Upvote 0
Might as well remove respawning and go for a more CS type of game. As people dont respawn IRL and u will get better team play as people will start off with their squads.

In addition it might be a good idea to have different faces on the players so you can know who is who.

I feel like I'm repeating myself, but Project Reality once again did this correctly.

Upvote 0
Hello Wilsonam, thanks for visiting us here.

Could you be more specific or define what realism is for you dear TWI?

I never thought that possibility to use bandages within 1 second is realism - thing.
How realistic it is when soldier hit in center of mass, but bandaged is still fully combat effective w/o any drawbacks?
Why Mkb's (never seen in combat use, produced in 100k units) are more common than standard issue MP-40?
Why you cannot kill a guy when you hit him, even multiple times in a leg/hand?
Why you cannot shot out a gun from a hand? How is it realistic?
Why you can have same sprinting speed upstairs and along the road or flat ground?

Or should I ask how is HoS more realistic than RO:O?

Let me add to that list :D

Your pouches go into another dimension, you can carry as much as you wish. *Carries 10 grenades* no slower movement yay.
I am john Rambo, I can shoot more accurate from the hip with an mg than with an smg. "Problem Hollywood?"
I am not 'hero' enough to put ammo in all of my mags.
I use my years in battle to polish my gun so much it's more shiny than the standard issue weaponry.
Nano vision activate: "Our recon plane will find them wherever they hide!!" *Enemy position transmitted directly into retina.*
Sidearm damage make perfect sense, higher caliber = less damage.
More common with k98k in russian team than MN.

Upvote 0
I can save you the time: The "bug" in the current system is that you are using an outdated networking method that is completely ill-suited for the pin-point precision weapons of the game.

I'm no expert on netcode, but having read threads where people who know about it debate the RO way versus other games with lag compensation and/or client-side hit detection, there are very clearly pros and cons to the different ways. I'm not decided on which way is better, I'm really not. I don't like any of the cons, but that's life on the internet. They decided with RO1 what their preferred method is, and that hasn't changed. TWI's philosophy seems to be to make latency as consistent as possible, without adding compensation or client-side detection because they don't like the drawbacks of those methods. Right now RO2 has bad climbing pings compared to RO1, but if they get the networking sorted out the overall shooting will be similar to RO1 and players can then debate about networking on equal footing; so long as players realize that TWI has had this debate and deemed what they think is best already. As it is now the networking model has egg on its face so it can't win with some people. But it was good with RO1 (unless for whatever reason you prefer the cons of other methods), and hopefully will be ironed out to be as good with RO2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Guys, if you like HoS like it is now, if you enjoy relaxed/normal mode why are you here and keep whining about something that won't affect you?

But this has been shown to be a potentially very invalid point. As it is now the playerbase is rather fragile and I for one do not really have much choice of servers and this is irrespective of mode. I'll play relaxed or hardcore or custom so long as it's all or mostly players and the ping is acceptable. That leaves me 1 or 2 servers to choose from at any given time. But Classic is going to be hugely different so now the mode will matter a little. The largest proportion of new players this change will bring will be those preferring the Classic mode. High demand for one mode does not really help those who want the others. I'm not saying that this is bad for the game at large. If overall numbers come up and stay up, that's good for the game. But the notion that "it won't affect you" is so wrong and interested it sounds like a campaign stump speech talking point. For example, I really really like Countdown. But it never gets run on servers I can play on at the times I play on. So I regrettably can't play Countdown. This is a combination of both player and server choice, that's quite true. But to say I actually have the choice or that servers choosing not to run Countdown didn't affect me would be totally false. So just turn the tables in your imagination and think about the scenario if it turned out the other way. That with changes to the game's realism mode, it turned out that actually RO Classic never got run on the servers you can get a good connection to and have actual good number of players. Would it be correct or fair to say that the existence of the Realism mode competing with the Classic mode "won't affect you?" Not at all.

If the 1 or 2 servers that someone can play on because of population or latency decide to convert to the new classic mode, that person is left without a choice. If they like the new mode, it's great for them. If they don't, it very much will affect their experience of the game. It might be that people who don't like the new mode will be able to trickle down to adventitious servers. Or there won't be any of those that work well for the player. It remains to be seen. But as has pointed out, that theory didn't work well with Countdown and it didn't work well with relaxed realism.

I'm not judging the Classic mode yet, I'm just saying it's possible I'll have little choice about whether it's running on the 1 or 2 servers I can play on. I will say, however, that I prefer RO2 to RO1 so far. I'm looking forward to the refinements to existing realism elements that have been hinted at so far. It'll be unfortunate if those hardly get seen because of what servers are running it however..

My question is there is Realism, Relaxed, and Custom. There will be Realism, Relaxed, Classic. Will Custom truly allow any combination of variables from all three modes? That would be great, in my opinion. Ultimately if that would be the case I think the most popular server choice would end up being some form of Custom mode rather than Classic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swato
Upvote 0