• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"What we are up to" - Feb 3rd edition

This thread has pretty much killed any hope I have of the game ever growing to more than what it is now. The focus of development time is now to add a third game mode, one that will only fragment the player-base further (For a demonstration of that, look at the arguments the feature list has spawned in this very thread), at a point where it is rare enough to see even a second filled server. At the same time, you're adamantly avoiding the issue that has driven off so many prospective players. So many reviews complaining of how the handling of shooting in this game is horrid, so many people driven off, and yet you are completely avoiding any potential solution in the hopes of finding some sort of hit-detection bug that nobody can even adequately demonstrate exists.

I can save you the time: The "bug" in the current system is that you are using an outdated networking method that is completely ill-suited for the pin-point precision weapons of the game. There is a reason that almost nobody making games with such precise weapons use such a system. It's acceptable for a game where the typical weapon is rapid-fire and no-recoil, explosive, or scatter-gun style weapons, and where the characters have generous hit-boxes, but when hit-boxes are tight and the typical weapon slow-firing and pixel-precise, it fails, and fails hard. People expect their shots to behave properly. When they don't, they think there's something wrong with the game. They see their shot as good, and think the game simply failed to recognize that obvious fact. There's your "bug," and there's the reason for the game's poor reviews and player-retention.

Right on.It doesn`t matter what new mods/change of gameplay they put in the game,the game is still going to be broke with the current net code.

A lot of so called "vets" saying that the nonrealistic gameplay is what keeping the servers empty,and their right!

It`s the very unrealistic and unpredictable behavior of the gunplay that keeps most of the players away.

When the game released I had 11 friends bying it and all of them gave up on the game within 2 weeks. "It felt like I was throwing bullets not shooting them" was one of my friends pretty accurate explanation of why he stopped playing. So it wasn`t the bugs,MKB`s,to little sway,to fast gameplay or no detachable bayonetts that made all of them quit the game.It was the unbelievable bad and unrealistic gunplay!

This was the feelings of people living in Sweden,playing on servers with descent low pings.So what about other not so fortunate players living somewere where there are no close servers? Anybody who objects lag compensation should be forced to play the game with a 200-350ms ping and then be asked if he/she had a enjoyable time.

What Tripwire and anti lagcompensation guys must take into consideration is that RO series are niche games that are not going to have alot of servers around the world and therefore must have lagcompensation if they want to keep the game alive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This thread has pretty much killed any hope I have of the game ever growing to more than what it is now. The focus of development time is now to add a third game mode, one that will only fragment the player-base further (For a demonstration of that, look at the arguments the feature list has spawned in this very thread), at a point where it is rare enough to see even a second filled server. At the same time, you're adamantly avoiding the issue that has driven off so many prospective players. So many reviews complaining of how the handling of shooting in this game is horrid, so many people driven off, and yet you are completely avoiding any potential solution in the hopes of finding some sort of hit-detection bug that nobody can even adequately demonstrate exists.

I can save you the time: The "bug" in the current system is that you are using an outdated networking method that is completely ill-suited for the pin-point precision weapons of the game. There is a reason that almost nobody making games with such precise weapons use such a system. It's acceptable for a game where the typical weapon is rapid-fire and no-recoil, explosive, or scatter-gun style weapons, and where the characters have generous hit-boxes, but when hit-boxes are tight and the typical weapon slow-firing and pixel-precise, it fails, and fails hard. People expect their shots to behave properly. When they don't, they think there's something wrong with the game. They see their shot as good, and think the game simply failed to recognize that obvious fact. There's your "bug," and there's the reason for the game's poor reviews and player-retention.

Nicely put, thank you for this

Upvote 0

You are exactly right, all of my friends quit playing because the lag was terrible. None of them quit playing because it wasn't "realistic enough", or it wasn't "enough like RO1".

The lag killed the game for them. They even said the game has a ton of potential but they won't be coming back until the lag is fixed.

Reactions: storPoteten
Upvote 0
The main thing is to bring everybody to the same level just because i dont want to zoom in cqc i can never zoom. My eyes dont change depending on wether im walking or running and they definitly dont change based on what weapon i use.

I want to be able to use ironsights in cqc without any zoom, without getting a big handicap for using a different control setup.

There should be more options to change your controls not less.

I want to make love with this post because it demonstrates why RO2's ADS/zoom system is so innovative

Upvote 0

I always find server full of players, ping is almost good and every shoot go where I want. Don't change reality.

Upvote 0
As far as what we are doing with networking, we are not adding lag compensation or client side hit detection. But we are looking to find what is going crazy in our current system and fix it. We aim to provide a similar experience to RO 1 and much of what we are doing involves watching and digging into the engine to find out what it is doing differently so we can address it.

Hooray for common sense! (and boobies)

Upvote 0
Yay, yet another there are no servers and there is horrible lag post.

Actually, the lag is pretty much completely average for online gaming. I routinely play much more fast-paced games with even higher latency than RO2. The difference is that they're designed with the idea of actually playing with real-world internet connections, and so do something to deal with that fact, making that latency much less of an issue.

And the "no servers" (More like "few servers) thing is purely a matter of low player count. And for that, I refer you to my previous point.

I always find server full of players, ping is almost good and every shoot go where I want. Don't change reality.

There is one populated server on this continent. Low ping like you have reduces the problem, but doesn't eliminate it. Be happy, you are one of the people fortunate enough to live close to a server. The majority of potential players are not - that is why so many reviews complain of the latency and the problems with shooting.

Upvote 0
Let's go step by step.

If more changes are needed and Tripware can do them and we want them, I am sure they will try to do it.

But for now, all changes they are going to do are requested by the community, so let's try to focus on those changes and wait for them to be done to start the next improvements.

Any pink helmet in game options this time? ;)

Upvote 0
doesn't really fit together. If admins will use ROClassic more it has a reason ( more people want it). If it makes RO2 more like RO:Ost only with better graphic and some bonuses ( cover system) it will be even better.

How will it be better? Sequels should IMPROVE and not carbon copy the previous titles. It'll be a step backwards in mechanics and realism.

if you don't like play relaxed realism...or cod, i heard that one has servers. also, you can buy a server and run it like you want (but we can't do that now..). do we all have to play the game exactly how you want it played? the rest of my words for you are being said, not typed, as i would be banned.

Why would I play relaxed realism or cod when I want more realism and not less? Why would I buy a server no-one plays on? I bought Red Orchestra for a realistic tactical shooter, ALMOST got delivered and now it's being all taken away because of die-hards who cannot understand that games improve and RO:OST isn't the pinnacle of realism. I'll just move away to other realistic games instead of handicapfest of blind men with parkinsons.

So you can't find a single change in there that will improve realism....right...

I could, but did you bother reading the post where I analyzed Yoshiro's OP? No? Thought so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My only peeve is the removal of the zoom. I think a much better move would've been to make the zooming more versatile like in Arma 2, where you can zoom in and out at any time no matter what you're doing. It's a more realistic and far less clunky system IMO, and good for gameplay. RO2's way of handling zoom means only people who are holding still get proper vision over long ranges, and that's just silly. Tweaking would've been better than removing it.

Upvote 0
My only peeve is the removal of the zoom. I think a much better move would've been to make the zooming more versatile like in Arma 2, where you can zoom in and out at any time no matter what you're doing. It's a more realistic and far less clunky system IMO, and good for gameplay. RO2's way of handling zoom means only people who are holding still get proper vision over long ranges, and that's just silly. Tweaking would've been better than removing it.

Tweaking could've made this game awesome and popular, making a new mode that will split the community and most likely will drive off any new players Relaxed Realism gained and will most certainly drive away anyone seeking actual realistic WW2 combat. RO-classic isn't going to save it, it will kill it. In the end, RO2 is going to be RO:Ost engine upgrade with no new features and the exact same 250 players.

I'm glad I found Project Reality a while ago. No reason to come back here except for WW2 being closer to my heart than modern day warfare.

Last edited:
Upvote 0