• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Armchair General Preview of RO2

An old friend of ours, Jim Zabek, has been playing the beta some over the last week or so and has now put together a preview piece over at Armchair general. For the grognards among us, Armchair General, is a well-known and loved site. If you don't what a "grognard" is, its about time you went and learnt a bit more about military history and strategy - and Armchair General is the place to go! Whichever camp you fall into, Jim's piece is a good read: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad-pc-game-preview.htm

Am I the only one who's web browser keeps loading the site like - forever?

Edit: The site now works for me :)

"Now the WASD keys will move the tank no matter what position the player is in (driver, gunner, turret)"
I didn't like that =[

Better than bots that drive you into a pit :D

Edit: But an "ARMA"-way of solving that would have been the best, I guess. Pushing WASD just makes you say "forward, stop, backwards, left, right" and the bot is moving the tank according to your commands.

Last edited:
Reactions: sMiTo and Hobitt
Upvote 0
Am I the only one who's web browser keeps loading the site like - forever?

Better than bots that drive you into a pit :D

Edit: But an "ARMA"-way of solving that would have been the best, I guess. Pushing WASD just makes you say "forward, stop, backwards, left, right" and the bot is moving the tank according to your commands.

And if you have seen for example Voodoo part 2, or Gametrailers' Tank walktrhough, you would already know that pushing WASD just makes you say where to go, and the bot moves according these commands. You are not going to "drive" in commanders position!

Upvote 0

Isn't that how it is? In RO1 when can press the keypad directions to say "forward" "left" "right" "stop" etc., though it didn't have bots, it seems like they'd just keep this and have the bot thing with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was a nice review, long and positive, though it wasn't very precise about features.

But you'd think a site like that would know how to correctly write the name of a game they're referring to (Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord, not Beyond Normandy).

Still, 8/10 for the review.

PS: Thank god only a couple of days till the beta :)

Upvote 0
Really nice read, loved the screen with the muzzel flash, shows how intensive this kind of games are!

But I'm kinda pesimistic about the whole deal to tone down the game a bit for the more mainstream gamers. I'd personally prefer to have the compass back instead of the minimap.
But I guess TWI needs the gamers caz they have to eat and pay bills too.

Upvote 0