• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reporting from the beginnings of Beta

i think the biggest curiosity i have now that the closed beta has started is system specs. I have to figure part of getting into the beta is providing your system specs, and feedback on how it runs on your rig....FPS, system settings and all that. Is that kind of talk covered under the NDA?

If we know people in the beta and we ask them "Hey is my card OK" or "Hey is my chip OK" .... could they answer?

Upvote 0
i think the biggest curiosity i have now that the closed beta has started is system specs. I have to figure part of getting into the beta is providing your system specs, and feedback on how it runs on your rig....FPS, system settings and all that. Is that kind of talk covered under the NDA?

If we know people in the beta and we ask them "Hey is my card OK" or "Hey is my chip OK" .... could they answer?

No they can't and even if they could the system specs aren't final anyway. But I am pretty sure your PC will run the game no matter how old it is. How well it will run or if it is fun for you to play is an entirely different question.

Upvote 0
any chance of info on whats turned up bug wise and if possible what changes you've made and why ?

It's safe to say that one of the reasons for the beta testing is that such things never see the light of day.
As Nestor said... I mean, we could say that cooking this beast for the first time for this beta raised all sorts of annoying tech issues for the coders to deal with - nothing significant in the grand scheme of things, all now dealt with, problems solved, Chris got a few headaches - but what would anyone learn from that :) ?

The sort of things we EXPECT to change as we go through the phases of beta: UI - how information is given to the player, how first-time players react to what they are given, how we should explain things - blind testing. An example from KF (not relevant to RO2, obviously, but it makes the point):

When we had blind testers play for the first time, at the end of the first (and subsequent rounds) they just didn't get the little arrow at the top of the screen as "Go buy bigger guns, fool". So they were getting slaughtered on waves 2 and 3. So we added in the audio cues - and the trail of pink pixie dust - then they would follow it and go "OHHHH - we can buy bigger guns". Seems blindingly obvious when you've been playing for months, but sometimes not on first sight.

So - we are looking for all the stupid tech issues. Broadening the player base helps us find those. We are also going to be looking for stuff that is obvious to us, who have been playing for months, but is NOT obvious to new players. Then we have to figure out how to communicate it to them!

Upvote 0
The sort of things we EXPECT to change as we go through the phases of beta: UI - how information is given to the player, how first-time players react to what they are given, how we should explain things - blind testing. An example from KF (not relevant to RO2, obviously, but it makes the point):

[...]

I love reading stuff like this! :D I find it very educational (yeah, I'm about to study games dev this year and apparently, it's finer details like these that get missed out on) :IS2:

Upvote 0