• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

April fool blog?

[TW]Wilsonam

VP, Tripwire Int.
Oct 17, 2005
Roswell, GA
www.tripwireinteractive.com
No, I wouldn't do that to you :) Actually, I would, but it would probably back-fire badly as some moron grabs a really bad joke from me and runs with it.

We're busy burning the weekend oil right now. A whole bunch of scripting going on for voice work. And no, don't worry - I am NOT going to be doing any voice acting! Today, we (Bill and I) are concentrating on the whole "battle chatter" piece, for Russians and Germans. This deals with both the vocalisations of commands issued by the player, as well as a whole bunch of scripting related to the AI. As with everything else, there will be a lot of fine-tuning on how it is used over the next few months, but it should add a lot of immersion.

Working on the training as well, although I think that is driving Keith (the LD building the relevant levels) slowly to drink. We're scripting up all the stuff that people need to learn, but of course, the systems aren't all completely finalized. It has to both cover the new systems/changes for old RO hands, as well as make sure that new players get to know the base systems.

The whole SP campaign (both sides) is actually built, but it will undergo repeated balance passes as core game systems finalize/lock down. Obviously that includes the AI, as the way that performs makes a big difference - as the AI learns to crew tanks properly and fully, how to operate as a squad and all of that. We've now got 2 campaigns, set up on a chronological basis, showcasing various small-unit actions across the city.

For those who don't know - no, we aren't doing the big character-based, movie-style, rail-shooter monster. For one, that costs a ridiculous amount of money to do - and for another, we're not always too fond of those things. Not a lot of replay value, usually. Perhaps one day, when we have $40million to burn, we might go that route, but not this time! So we'll leave the huge budget movie style to others - think of this as theater instead of the movies :) Small units (squads/platoons) trying to do their job, in various locations in the middle of the huge meat-grinder that is Stalingrad - and trying not to get everyone killed in the process.

And if I don't get this script stuff done, I'm going to have to commit seppuku - so a short missive this week, back to work for me!

As with everything else, there will be a lot of fine-tuning on how it is used over the next few months,

That phrase kind of worries me a little bit. I'd rather that minor bugs in fine tuning get patched after release, but if it would really hose the game to release it before it's ready...then by all means please keep working weekends. :D

no, we aren't doing the big character-based, movie-style, rail-shooter monster.

But that one makes me feel much better.

Perhaps one day, when we have $40million to burn, we might go that route,

And yet I am perfectly fine with that too...go figure.

Thanks again for the continuing updates!

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just to clarify, is all the voicework going to be in German/Russian, or will there be English spoken in a German/Russian accent for the campaign? God, I really hope not.

I can't imagine there will be any spoken English, at least in the regular game. At least there wasn't any in the original.

The only place I could see accented English being used would be during the Training sessions. Even that breaks immersion, but then so does "press the iron sights key," so you can't really get around that.

Upvote 0
Nice update, thanks for taking the time.
Perhaps one day, when we have $40million to burn, we might go that route, but not this time!
Please, don't. The FPS market is just overly saturated with boring rail shooters. What you guys are doing, in terms of SP (MP as well of course), is a breath of fresh air.

It's just a better solution in every sense. It's cheaper to make, has tons of replay value (if done right) and is altogether just more entertaining. You are creating a game after all, and in a game the player should feel like their decisions matter and have consequences. This can only happen if they are given the option to choose how they approach a certain situation, instead of just leading them down a narrow scripted path.

I kinda feel like I'm preaching to the choir tho. :p

Reactions: Uurastaja
Upvote 0
I'd like to think that when Tripwire has 40 megabucks to invest in a big-budget shooter with a strong single-player element, they'd do a better job at making it more open and re-playable than CoD and the like. Multi-player is definitely their strong suit, but with the right mix of brains, imagination and money I think they could surprise us. We know for a fact the brains and imagination are there....and the money is coming.

Upvote 0