• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Gamer Jan Issue Cover: "Why RO2 will beat CoD:BlOps"

Last edited:
Reactions: Placebo Cyanide
Upvote 0
We all know that ro2 can't beat Cod BO in terms of sales, but it is not what means PC GAMER !

RO2 gameplay will be thousand times better than Cod BO, BUT, only if Tripwire manage to give this game an unbelievable immersion.. !

A realistic game is good, but it isn't enough !
If TW wants to increase sales without spending too much money in marketing, the best way is to make an AWESOME game ... which players will really like and spread the words !
I think the word of mouth is the key, and the help of Fans too ;)
as well as gaming websites ! and newspapers ;)

RO2 must not be bland! Don't hesitate to put some 'fun mods' !!! Innovating is really important ! (talking about game mods - remember the bike game in RO1)

I guess that TW already know that ^^
I wish good luck to RO2 ;)

Upvote 0
Ok, lets take a big bite of realism here (pun unintended, obviously).

Evan and the crew at PC Gamer are throwing out the byeline that "RO2 will beat CODBLOPS". I doubt they mean that we will outsell Blops. Firstly, we aren't building for console yet (might do one day, but that is another matter - and it would be a port FROM PC). Secondly, our marketing budget is a tad smaller than theirs - so we simply don't have the reach of an EA, Activision or anyone of that scale. Much as we'd like to sell 5.6m units in a week - I doubt it will happen!

So, what do they mean by "beat"? They, IMHO, mean that it will be a much better PC shooter. We won't be taking them on head-to-head in single-player. They have spent 10s of millions building a massive SP "experience".

So we're going to go back to good old PC-centric values. Really great multi-player, of course. Single player that is fun, can be replayed genuinely, but without huge cinematics eating up half the play time.

And don't get me wrong - the CoD series has phenomenal production values. They damn well should, given how much money they spend. Me, I've got tired of them. Shame, cos I actually do like a really great single player. The original MoH got me into this mess in the first place :)

Time will tell...

Upvote 0
Ok, lets take a big bite of realism here (pun unintended, obviously).

Evan and the crew at PC Gamer are throwing out the byeline that "RO2 will beat CODBLOPS". I doubt they mean that we will outsell Blops. Firstly, we aren't building for console yet (might do one day, but that is another matter - and it would be a port FROM PC). Secondly, our marketing budget is a tad smaller than theirs - so we simply don't have the reach of an EA, Activision or anyone of that scale. Much as we'd like to sell 5.6m units in a week - I doubt it will happen!

So, what do they mean by "beat"? They, IMHO, mean that it will be a much better PC shooter. We won't be taking them on head-to-head in single-player. They have spent 10s of millions building a massive SP "experience".

So we're going to go back to good old PC-centric values. Really great multi-player, of course. Single player that is fun, can be replayed genuinely, but without huge cinematics eating up half the play time.

And don't get me wrong - the CoD series has phenomenal production values. They damn well should, given how much money they spend. Me, I've got tired of them. Shame, cos I actually do like a really great single player. The original MoH got me into this mess in the first place :)

Time will tell...

Hopefully, HOES will sell good enough to increase your budget exponentially for RO3, so you can then have both marketing and quality on your side.

I have faith :IS2:

Upvote 0
There are many ways to "beat" CODBO. I'll list them out here and my thoughts on our capability to do so:

1) Sales - Obviously we won't beat them on total sales because RO2 isn't also a console game. Beating them in PC sales even would certainly be tough, but getting in the same ballpark is certainly achievable. Especially considering they've said that PC sales only account for 4% of their million of units sold.

2) Reviews - This is totally doable. If you look at the metacritic scores for the original RO and PC Black Ops you'll see the original RO has a metacritic of 81 and BO has a metacritic of 83. So as long as we make a game that is better than the original RO (which is what we're trying to do) we could beat them in reviews.

3) Long Term Player Counts - I put long term player counts here, because most any game has lots of players playing it the week of release. What really matters is will people be playing it months down the road. This is an area where we'll have a hard time beating them until we catch up on #1 above. Our strategy of long term support and free content for our games however certainly is good for us in this regard. Both RO and KF have added a LOT of players and sales over time to keep the player counts up and a big reason for this is our post release support.

4) Long Term Customer Satisfaction - I know this is hard to measure but if you look at the philosophy of Activision vs the philosophy of TWI in how we treat our customers you'll understand what I mean. The Activision philosophy is to release a game and then either quickly move on, or nickel and dime the customer with paid DLC. The Tripwire philosophy is to give the customer good value at release, and increasing value post release in the form of free DLC (maps, weapons, vehicles, etc), and some non-essential optional paid DLC (like the Killing Floor character packs). We stand by our games for the long haul, and this is not always something that can be said about Activision and the COD series.

5) Expandability - We'll destroy BO in this area. With a MOD SDK released BEFORE the game ships (its already in the hands of a mod team) and multiple total conversion mods already in development (Pacific Theatre WWII, Vietnam, and WWI) we're going to win this fight hands down. This combined with our support for mod teams and our pattern of releasing mods for our games over Steam so they are easy to get into the hands of the fans really gives us the edge here.

6) PC Functionality - Another area where we should beat BO hands down. With a full dedicated server, web based server administration tools, 64 player MP support, and a dev team focused only on a PC version this is an area where we can and will shine.

So these are my thoughts on this headline :) I would also encourage everyone to keep in mind that RO1 is not RO2 (even though that "niche" game has sold almost half a million units). We are making a game that is aimed to be much more accessible than the first RO while still staying true to its tactical shooter roots. We were a new company with almost no money and resources when we made RO1 5 years ago. We're much more experienced now have a lot more resources than when we made the first RO. So to quote Darth Vader "when we last met I was but the learner, now I am the master." ;)

Upvote 0
There are many ways to "beat" CODBO.

4) Long Term Customer Satisfaction - (ie Listening to the customers) I know this is hard to measure but if you look at the philosophy of Activision vs the philosophy of TWI in how we treat our customers you'll understand what I mean. The Activision philosophy is to release a game and then either quickly move on, or nickel and dime the customer with paid DLC. The Tripwire philosophy is to give the customer good value at release, and increasing value post release in the form of free DLC (maps, weapons, vehicles, etc), and some non-essential optional paid DLC (like the Killing Floor character packs). We stand by our games for the long haul, and this is not always something that can be said about Activision and the COD series.

5) Expandability - (community/modder friendly) We'll destroy BO in this area. With a MOD SDK released BEFORE the game ships (its already in the hands of a mod team) and multiple total conversion mods already in development (Pacific Theatre WWII, Vietnam, and WWI) we're going to win this fight hands down. This combined with our support for mod teams and our pattern of releasing mods for our games over Steam so they are easy to get into the hands of the fans really gives us the edge here.

6) PC Functionality - Another area where we should beat BO hands down. With a full dedicated server, web based server administration tools, 64 player MP support, and a dev team focused only on a PC version this is an area where we can and will shine.

;)

These alone will "beat" EA/Activision everytime!

My edits in orange.

Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
re: Wilsonam's post about single player cinematic cut-away scenes - yeah the original MoH series is what got me into all this as well, then moving on to CoD and CoD:UO. Those were awesome good times for SP precisely BECAUSE they lacked all the cinematic crap you get now. Personally I don't want to find myself sitting at the computer having to watch all this movie/game blended crap. I just want to PLAY. I think all that stuff started getting out of hand for the CoD series with CoD4:MW, and at that time I didn't like that part of the game at all. I couldn't get into HL:2 for that same reason.

So basically regarding RO:HoS single player, I will actually be MORE satisfied with a replay-able game that sharpens my feel for MP without some overblown story line.

And re: Ramm's last post....wow. That's GREAT reading. :)

Upvote 0
I hope Robert Kotick will see the PC gamer magazine :rolleyes: .. !!
As usual, I bet he will say some stupid things.. Free advertisement for RO2 ! :D

I'm not a cod hater ! I really like cod1,2 and 4.. But after the brand has became a ..
Cash Cow !

I'm not paying anymore for games which are made only to rip off people !

after the 4th one they are turning out bad quality console ports.

Upvote 0
Call of Duty have 7 games already, and backed by a corporation with a huge marketing budget.

RO2 will not outsell CoD, but as CoD decays, RO grows, and who knows, maybe RO3 or 4 will outsell CoD9 or 10.

About RO2 beating CoD... well, you first have to define what "beating" means. Will it be a superior product?, of course. Will it outsell CoD?... not yet.
I pray to God that there is no RO3, 4, or 5. We are living in the age of sequels and the quality of our favorite games and movies is suffering terribly because of it.

Upvote 0
I pray to God that there is no RO3, 4, or 5. We are living in the age of sequels and the quality of our favorite games and movies is suffering terribly because of it.

in 5 years you dont want a another ro? if its good and not to soon i dont see whats wrong... you dont just stop a good thing and make something new all the time.

Upvote 0