• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire talks Stalingrad to Voodoo Extreme

One of the things I really like about this community is that I don't think that you would see this type of help given to any other Developer.
It says a lot about the type of people TWI are when you include the willingness of community members to help TWI create a better product for everyone in just about anyway they can.
Whether be as simple as testing something or as in this case helping arrange a very important trip.

I can't think of any other games company that would get even close to the kind of trust and co-operation i see given in this community.
It all bodes extremely well for the new game..;)

Upvote 0
HDR is an attempt to mimic the dynamic range of human eyes. How successfully it does that is open to debate...well not really cos the conclusion is 'not very well' but it's all that there is at the moment with video technology.

Well range of human eye is realy wide, the eye can catch realy dark and
realy bright details and colors and yes HDR tries to mimic that.

How ever it have nothing to do with the landscape. Even that eye can catch colors from really wide range doesnt mean that landscape reflect colors from all that range.

So HDR technology works let say better when you are example inside a house where is window so that there is really dark and bright areas in your vision in same time. But if you are outside, its all bright. How ever HDR technology still tries to push on really over contrasting shadows and colors which doesnt exist.

Offcourse the one exception to this is jungle where HDR lighting looks realistig as the landscape is in same time dark and bright.
http://www.wallpapers247.com/images/wallpapers/Palms-Jungle-913346.jpeg

How ever HDR isnt never a on/off thing so i hope TWI will spend some time
to tweak Unreal HDR setups to more realistic direction.

If they wont, well then they deserve only a 9,9 points and Parrot Badge :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is the color green of the grass exactly the color the grass was there? Usually in warmer places the grass looks lighter green, with tints of yellow and orange. This makes me think of spring time grass.

What I want to know if TWI had a video recorder with them on the trip, so we could get a small documentary about the making off RO:HoS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is the color green of the grass exactly the color the grass was there? Usually in warmer places the grass looks lighter green, with tints of yellow and orange. This makes me think of spring time grass.

What I want to know if TWI had a video recorder with them on the trip, so we could get a small documentary about the making off RO:HoS.

Grass in VG is almost pure yellow in late summer but there are lots of municipal sprinklers for many park areas (actually metal pipes with holes in them) because temperatures regularly go over 40 degrees in August. I don't know if they had them then - I have a feeling they did in some areas. But feeling /= evidence and water may well have been long switched off by this point. I could look through the municipal decrees of the town defence committee to see if there is any reference to them being switched on/off or anything like that but, frankly, it is a massive book.

As regards videos, you will have to wait and see. There were one or two things happened which (if filmed and, sadly, they weren't) would definitely make a good bloopers reel :D

BTW - I would like to make it clear that I have great respect for Susi as a dev - you did fantastic work in MN, mate, :) so I hope any forum disagreements are treated as just that... unimportant forum debates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ramm said on irc that the grass was slightly messed up at that time. He also told that it looks better nowadays.
Edit: in the game, not in Russia

Upvote 0
so I hope any forum disagreements are treated as just that... unimportant forum debates.

Well i wouldnt say unimportant..

As i saw lot of post in this thread where someone said that, thats we
spoke on forum before, or that was my idea.

True or not, at least it seems that TWI boys read what we are posting here
and that it can have a effect to upcoming game. And so far as i can say my
opinion and it may have a change to help TWI guys to develope game even
better at least on my point of view, i will say what i got in my mind.

And also i will catch the counterarguments and reply to them.
But no, there is nothing personal, and i havent never tried to
insult anybody. Expect on one post which i writed some late night
and removed next morning, when i understood it was just stupid.

And yeah i know that i can be quite a pain in the *ss when i have strong
opinion about something. Like about Thompsons too low recoil in
Mare Nostrum and i wont admit explanations about Brithish who are
Manly mens like Psycho Sam said to me. :D :D :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are plenty of other things I could comment on though ;), I just consider vegetation important.

I think most people are aware of the importance of 'vegetation' in Dutchies' lives. ;)

...and don't tell me that that is only those hedonists in Amsterdam and that in Delft you're all about the ceramics. Racial stereotyping is racial stereotyping. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks absolutely stunning!

There are only 2 points that i can wrath my criticism upon. :p

1. The level looks, while being absolutely stunning and beautyfull, a little bit bland. I guess this is down to still being in alpha stage. :)

2. The craters look out of place, there is no centext of craters and buildings. A huge crater is right next to a nice small house with some plants besides it.
Could be down to possible alpha stage again. ^^

I have seen Nestor's photos and am really suprised by the way TWI managed to catch the details of the grain elevator. :)

Upvote 0
I have seen Nestor's photos and am really suprised by the way TWI managed to catch the details of the grain elevator. :)

Actually, you haven't - at least not ones of the TW trip, which are subject to an NDA.

You have seen private photos of other, less successful trips, to the elevator.

Although it is true, they do capture the details very well :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0