• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Official First Statement on Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

You got me hyped, so It's working already.

Edit:

Also, I'm suprised you guys kept the Red Orchestra name. Since it's a confusing name for many, and it's basicly only the soviet spy ring isn't it. Not much to do with the game, at least not with the first game. So... but I can dig it.

I would agree some years ago but now, after years using this name, I think it's a good idea to keep it. Anyway contrary to some I feel relieved to know they are investing on eastern front of WWII :)

Congrats and good luck guys!

Upvote 0
Wow, looks like PC Gamer really threw you guys a helluva curveball there.

John, put the SVT-40 down.... you're not going to be making games if you get put away for shooting magazine managing editors.;)

Alan - best of luck with regaining control of the PR on this......

unless this is all a cunning ploy.:eek:

Way I see it - PC Gamer OWE you now, big time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suppose I will have to give my 3D work even greater detail now :(

Bitter-sweet news really, except for the tanks driven out of the factories to fight in the city (T34's) and a few German tanks, there wasn't much armor. Before long the streets were so choked with debris armor couldn't even move in the city anyways. Does this mean the main armor in the new game will be relegated to Stugs and T34's fighting in the city and the subsequent pincer?

Upvote 0
im actually surprised, i stopped believing or hoping long ago that it would be such a game.
but it's great news so far, finally a quality ww2 game on a recent engine. the "stalingrad" mention tells me the game will concentrate on a specific period, wich is better than a game that tries to represent the whole war with a mish mash of different maps.
though im not fond about that it seems to concentrate again on the early-mid war period, the epic stalingrad scene somewhat makes up for that.
if the game is initially only about stalingrad, then it will certainly cause a proliferation of little to big mods that will extend the scene. i expect nothing less than to have the game itself being some kind of online dynamic campaign in real time. a classic SP campaign is not worth the enormous time you put into creating it. and you will always be compared to the COD campaigns, and i really doubt anybody can match that in their first try.

Upvote 0
I suppose I will have to give my 3D work even greater detail now :(

Bitter-sweet news really, except for the tanks driven out of the factories to fight in the city (T34's) and a few German tanks, there wasn't much armor. Before long the streets were so choked with debris armor couldn't even move in the city anyways. Does this mean the main armor in the new game will be relegated to Stugs and T34's fighting in the city and the subsequent pincer?

You are kidding, right?

The Russians had only about 4 different tank models fighting in the battle but the Germans had all kinds of variants built on existing axis and captured models.

A history forum is needed right nao! :D

Upvote 0
You are kidding, right?

The Russians had only about 4 different tank models fighting in the battle but the Germans had all kinds of variants built on existing axis and captured models.

A history forum is needed right nao! :D

I'm worried about tanks being implemented at all since less than 1000 tanks were fielded total at the start of the battle, there should at least be the trusty assault guns and T34's, but what else? PzIV's, PzIII's, KV1's?

EDIT: Forgot about the armored push by the Germans to relieve those trapped in the pocket, thanks for reminding me Ricky

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Absolutely delighted that it is in the Eastern Europe theatre again. Tripwire's research and knowledge of the history of this war, is part of the reason that keeps me playing this old game on a ( technologogy wise ) really old UT game engine.

Stalingrad wasnt just one little skirmish in a city. It was epic, and the map opportunities that exist within the Stalingrad scenario are many. Tie that into the UT3 engine and we have great potential.

I'm buzzing!
:D

Upvote 0
I'm worried about tanks being implemented at all since less than 1000 tanks were fielded total at the start of the battle, there should at least be the trusty assault guns and T34's, but what else? PzIV's, PzIII's, KV1's?

EDIT: Forgot about the armored push by the Germans to relieve those trapped in the pocket, thanks for reminding me Ricky

Well (Courtesy of Jason Mark's superb book 'Angriff') there were these....

las762.jpg

LAS762

marder.jpg

Marder 3

pj1_47.jpg

Panzerjager I (47)

camel.jpg

the 'wunderwaffe' - a Brandenburger on a camel.:D

Notice as well how hot the steppes are in these photos - anyone who is worried that a Stalingrad game will be all about the snow and streets need not worry.

BTW - We are all RO:Ho's now :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great, great news!

Holding thumbs that not all the maps are small, indoors or close quarters and that the bolt rifles work as well as before.

EDIT: Forgot about the armored push by the Germans to relieve those trapped in the pocket

If any armour and large open maps are lacking, we shall likely soon see custom maps with e.g. Manstein's and Hoth's panzers outside of the pocket? In fact, the lack of post-1941 vintage tanks is an opportunity for modders and mappers - "Heroes of Kursk", etc. ..:)

Upvote 0