• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Rising Storm Guadalcanal Daytime Territory and Countdown Maps

oldbrokenlink

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2012
Rising Storm Guadalcanal Daytime Territory and Countdown Maps

Webpage:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=92138

http://imgur.com/a/AR60w

Steam Workshop:

I could not release these maps as a single Steam Workshop entry because it was just too large. So I had to spit it into two parts. You will need to subscribe to both parts before playing the maps!

Rising Storm Guadalcanal Daytime Shared Files
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=152137110

Rising Storm Guadalcanal Daytime Base Maps
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=152136336

Manual Installation:

Client Files:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...y/Guadalcanal2Day_Client_1_0_0_1_06102013.zip

To manually install extract to C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Published\CookedPC\RSGame\Maps

Server Files:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...y/Guadalcanal2Day_Server_1_0_0_1_06102013.zip

To manually install extract to the appropriate folder that you have created to contain the maps that you will be hosting and configure the server as needed so that the maps will be in rotation. Complete details of how to do these things can be found here: http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php/RO2_Dedicated_Server

History:

1.0.0.1 06/10/2013
Removed the nighttime fog that was being displayed in the distance

1.0.0.0 06/08/2013
Initial Release

Last edited:
What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

None of these daytime/nighttime maps are working on our server. We run Countdown. We can download the files, but after they are done our game clients crash with an option to send an error report. Other mutators and custom maps work fine. This is from our redirect.

Server files and client files were uploaded to their correct places and our redirect works fine. The files download. The client files were all renamed to .upk.

So what are we doing wrong here? It seems others uploaded theirs just fine. Or is it because Countdown was overlooked and others are using the Territory maps? I am not used to so many files being needed along with the map for custom maps. Do only the RSCD and RSTE maps get renamed to .upk while the support files retain their .roe extension?

Really frustrated here and I feel it is something simple I am missing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sorry to hear that you are having problems.

please keep in mine that these maps were created using the latest sdk that was released after rising storm was released. these maps are basically rising storm maps. they most likely will not work with other older maps and other older mutators because those are most likely built using older sdks! and as far as i know there are really not that many maps and/or rotators rebuilt with new sdk! so please dont mix and match. make sure you use these maps with latest server and latest client only. and most likely remove all other older maps and older mutators. just host with other official maps that came with the base game when rising storm was released and integrated with ro2

re: crashing

i'm not sure why its crashing. ive tried it locally and didnt have any problems.

i have not tried hosting it on some server and downloading client using server download

perhaps there are issues with that. im not sure.

what you need to do when it crashes is to open the last log file and go to the end and resolve all the errors that you see.

re: renaming files

i dont really host so i cant answer really how many files need to be renamed. u need to ask that of someone with hosting experience

re: why so many files

the clients will need to get all the client files!

the reason there are many files is because the original maps had those files. each has part of the assets that the maps use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try Cooking the maps so they create a single Client File and a single Server file...

Doing so will simplify and things easier for Users to obtain their map file from server redirects.

Multiple files are creating huge player problems. Crashes as mentioned and user confusion as to what goes where.

Besides, Steam workshop is still troublesome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sorry to hear that you are having problems.

please keep in mine that these maps were created using the latest sdk that was released after rising storm was released. these maps are basically rising storm maps. they most likely will not work with other older maps and other older mutators because those are most likely built using older sdks! and as far as i know there are really not that many maps and/or rotators rebuilt with new sdk! so please dont mix and match. make sure you use these maps with latest server and latest client only. and most likely remove all other older maps and older mutators. just host with other official maps that came with the base game when rising storm was released and integrated with ro2

i'm not sure why its crashing. ive tried it locally and didnt have any problems.

i have not tried hosting it on some server and downloading client using server download

perhaps there are issues with that. im not sure.

what you need to do when it crashes is to open the last log file and go to the end and resolve all the errors that you see.

re: renaming files

i dont really host so i cant answer really how many files need to be renamed. u need to ask that of someone with hosting experience

re: why so many files

the clients will need to get all the client files!

the reason there are many files is because the original maps had those files. each has part of the assets that the maps use.

Our server is hosted by a GSP and not our own dedi. It is fully up to date. As for the mutators they are the ones by Ducky and Thor and have never caused an issue with custom maps before. Also this was a cleanly installed server from June 1st. There were no other custom maps installed after our reinstall and no other support files to conflict with.

As far as the crashing I did notice that while downloading from the redirect clients would only get about 4 files and that's it. For some reason the others get skipping. They are all named as downloaded except for the extensions on the client redirect. The loading screen would not show the gametype (Countdown) and the verbage that comes along with it. The images would changes, the little soldier would run, and it would show "realism" after the missing Countdown part of the description. Then the soldier stops running, the screen goes black, and we are presented with an error popup.

The files being many is confusing to the clients and at least to this server admin. If the ability to compile these into one or two files exists that would help in a few ways. It's hard enough to get random pubbers to download a custom map, but when they see files coming over and over they just quit and move on.

My clan is looking forward to getting these to work on our server. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Try Cooking the maps so they create a single Client File and a single Server file...

Doing so will simplify and things easier for Users to obtain their map file from server redirects.

Multiple files are creating huge player problems. Crashes as mentioned and user confusion as to what goes where.

Besides, Steam workshop is still troublesome.

sorry to hear that some people are having problems.

re: single cooked file

i do not know how to do that.

please keep in mind that these are not my maps at all

they are twi's rising storm maps

all im doing is making a copy and tweaking that copy slightly

i use the ro2 sdk to cook them and it does not give me any option to create a single file. i just press a little button on some taskbar in the sdk that says publish i think. i dont control what happens.

if you look at the originals in the current game you will see that they come in many files. its just the way twi created them. so when it cooks mine which are nothing but tweaked copies it comes out basically as theirs.

also if i try to combine them then the resultant map file will be overly large and i will not be able to published them on steam workshop at all. they have like 200mb limit per workshop entry. and as it is im having to break it into two workshop entries because of this. also, it becomes a bit more difficult to maintain as twi improves the maps.

i just dont see how to cut down the number of files without getting rid of all the level files they use and then it becomes more of a maintenance issue for me and then you will have very large maps that i cant published on steam workshop.

i mean there is a reason why twi created them this way. they are professionally done and designed to be maintained and leveraged and they are actuall very complex map. this is not kids play nothing any of us would create on side because of the sale of the work.

re: steam workshop

u do not need to use them. i give you links to both the client and the server files. all you have to do is setup your server to give people the client files. it should automatically download it. if that does not work. they can manually install the maps. its very easy to. also steam workshop mostly works. all they have to do is subscribe wait for the download and then run the game. the only issue is when they get a bad download. then they have to manually delete the file and download again. sadly steam does not have a verify workshop item or a redownload. i guess u can unsubscribe and resubscribe. but they may see its already there and not download it again

ive tested these it does not crash less u have other problems.

other older maps and mutations will not work. they need to be updated for this sdk. so if u have older stuff loaded you are asking for trouble. also again other than very minor tweaks i do not make any changes. if they crash its because of issues with ro2/rs and/or unreal engine. and let me acknowledge there are plenty there. if you go to steam discussion area you will see lots of people crashing with just the base game. most of the issues have to do with them having nvidia cards and bad drivers, but also other issues related to all the garbage they have installed with the game.

i too had subscribed to many things and was having problems. i unsubscribed to them all, every single thing, and then manually deleted the files that were left behind. sadly when u unsubscribe it leaves the files and they continue to be there causing problems. mutators are the worse since they tie very closely with the game and the engine.

once i did that and just had maps like mine that were built using latest sdk i have not had any problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Our server is hosted by a GSP and not our own dedi. It is fully up to date. As for the mutators they are the ones by Ducky and Thor and have never caused an issue with custom maps before. Also this was a cleanly installed server from June 1st. There were no other custom maps installed after our reinstall and no other support files to conflict with.

As far as the crashing I did notice that while downloading from the redirect clients would only get about 4 files and that's it. For some reason the others get skipping. They are all named as downloaded except for the extensions on the client redirect. The loading screen would not show the gametype (Countdown) and the verbage that comes along with it. The images would changes, the little soldier would run, and it would show "realism" after the missing Countdown part of the description. Then the soldier stops running, the screen goes black, and we are presented with an error popup.

The files being many is confusing to the clients and at least to this server admin. If the ability to compile these into one or two files exists that would help in a few ways. It's hard enough to get random pubbers to download a custom map, but when they see files coming over and over they just quit and move on.

My clan is looking forward to getting these to work on our server. Thanks.

honestly get rid of those mutators they are like a year old. also make sure no maps created with older sdk are being used.

also try renameing all the client file extension and see if that resolves them not all downloading. make sure its all setup also in config files.

ok i'll need to setup a server later tonight. and try it out. will let you know how it goes. i'll test downloading and playing the maps. but i will not test mutators at all.

Upvote 0

that is what they are complaining about that the parts are levels that are streamed in, well when loaded. and each level is a different file.

it didnt set it up this way, twi did. so its why its this way on these maps.

these are very complex professional maps. not the kind of stuff people do for fun.

ok so twi says you need to rename each file .upk

so art-?????.roe becomes art-?????.roe

u have to do the same with snd, pbv, fx, rscd, rste, rsff, and other client files.

just change the .roe to .upk on all client files.

so u see each client has several files u have to rename all of them and u have to reference all of them for redirect to work.

if that does not work then you cant use redirect. it maybe there are limits to redirect. if so then you have to ask people to download and manually install the client or just subscribe to steam workshop entry which installs it for them.

that is not that bad. a bit of pain if redirect wont work.

still ill try it tonight setup a server on an old box and try the maps and download redirect to see if it would work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It really isn't as complicated as you think. It's pretty easy actually.
However, in order to do what you're trying to do, you'll need the uncooked files. I've never tried doing it with cooked files, so really not sure if it will work.

Here look at this ----> [url]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LevelStreamingHome.html[/URL]

u misunderstand i have the uncooked files i cook them u dont need uncooked files.

when u edit the maps u have this thing called levels where u reference other files like the ones in the map and u say stream it in like when loading.

it nothing that you have to be aware of.

just rename the extension and try redirect if redirect cant handle streaming then u cant use redirect.

no way this is going to end up being a single file. it would be harder to maintain

also u have to get used to this way cause you are going to see more and more maps done this say. not just by me but by others as u saw in their post.

and if there is bug with redirect then twi needs to fix it to fix it.

Upvote 0
Please, - just re-cook the maps into a single file for Servers and a single file for Clients.... please

Its not that the experienced players can't handle it or that the redirect is broken...

Its all the newer players that are falling over with this mess o files to deal with. We really do not wish to lose them.

One .upk file for the server...

One .roe file for the clients and everyone is happy and playing instead of crashing and crying.

please??

Upvote 0
Please, - just re-cook the maps into a single file for Servers and a single file for Clients.... please

Its not that the experienced players can't handle it or that the redirect is broken...

Its all the newer players that are falling over with this mess o files to deal with. We really do not wish to lose them.

One .upk file for the server...

One .roe file for the clients and everyone is happy and playing instead of crashing and crying.

please??

mike i know of no way to cook the maps into a single file for the client and a single file for the server.

i dont actually cook them i run the ro2 editor and press a button on the toolbar that does the magic.

the reason u see all those files is because twi when the created these maps they created them this way.

it has nothing to do with me and the way i am cooking them.

it has to do with the way they created these maps.

its not like i open up a command prompt and enter some command or run some batch file to cook them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are there uncooked map files of the stock maps?
Do you mean the .roe client files from SteamApps/..../....?

I'm pretty sure that cooking a cooked map isn't good.

these are exact copies of the original rising storm maps that i then tweak

if you look at the release files for one of the maps you will see why there are so many files. its just the way they did it. i just change the name so that they dont conflict the original names and then tweaked the copies as needed.

ive tested these maps. they run great. sure some people have issues. nothing to do with these maps. its they are running stuff that was cooked using older sdk. a big no no, especially when so much has changed.

they do not give a way for me to specify cook them into a single file.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if you look for the original guadalcanal map located in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\ROGame\CookedPC\RSGame\Maps\Guadalcanal

you will find 7 files

ART_GuadalCanal.roe
FX_GuadalCanal.roe
GuadalCanal_Posed_Players.roe
PBV_GuadalCanal.roe
RSCD-GuadalCanal.roe
RSTE-GuadalCanal.roe
SND_GuadalCanal.roe

all i do is make a copy of those file and tweak the copy then cook them and the above is why u see all those files. its because they have them and because they created the maps this way. and cooking is not going to magically make a single file from them.

now i will tray later tonight setting up a server and getting it working. to hopefully will work. just a matter of setting up the config correctly and hopefully twi is correct and redirect works and i get all the files downloaded and installed for me.

else its not that hard to subscribe to steam workshop. that mostly works. the only issue is when people get a bad download. but i have nothing to do with that. and its not that hard to manually install its just extract the client to

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Published\CookedPC\RSGame\Maps

note its not RSGa me its RSGame, its just the dumb forums editor cant handle the path names so it mangles them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have checked three times in the server browser over the last two days and have yet to see a server actively running one of these maps. So I have to ask the admins. Have any of you got these running on your server with clients connecting and a redirect working? I would like to know so I could join that server and compare to ours.

As for the mutators we use they were not installed while I was experimenting getting these maps to work. I was using just the map files.

And sadly Steam Workshop is no help for a new person joining our server if they aren't already subscribed for the files.

Thanks for looking into this Oldbrokenlink.

Upvote 0
if you look for the original guadalcanal map located in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\ROGame\CookedPC\RSGame\Maps\Guadalcanal

you will find 7 files

ART_GuadalCanal.roe
FX_GuadalCanal.roe
GuadalCanal_Posed_Players.roe
PBV_GuadalCanal.roe
RSCD-GuadalCanal.roe
RSTE-GuadalCanal.roe
SND_GuadalCanal.roe

all i do is make a copy of those file and tweak the copy then cook them and the above is why u see all those files. its because they have them and because they created the maps this way. and cooking is not going to magically make a single file from them.

now i will tray later tonight setting up a server and getting it working. to hopefully will work. just a matter of setting up the config correctly and hopefully twi is correct and redirect works and i get all the files downloaded and installed for me.

else its not that hard to subscribe to steam workshop. that mostly works. the only issue is when people get a bad download. but i have nothing to do with that. and its not that hard to manually install its just extract the client to

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Published\CookedPC\RSGame\Maps

note its not RSGa me its RSGame, its just the dumb forums editor cant handle the path names so it mangles them.

So you copy a cooked map and save it with a different name?

TWI is using different mapfiles for streaming, which still doesn't work with custom maps (or is it possible now?!).

What you would need to do is, copying the map content from each map file and paste it into one new single .roe file.
Then you publish your map and get your server+client files.

Upvote 0
So you copy a cooked map and save it with a different name?

TWI is using different mapfiles for streaming, which still doesn't work with custom maps (or is it possible now?!).

What you would need to do is, copying the map content from each map file and paste it into one new single .roe file.
Then you publish your map and get your server+client files.

keep in mind i did not create the maps they are commercial quality extremely detailed large effort on their part. i just not going to redo them.

that is just not going to happen that is not how it works at all. each of those layers has scripts associated with it and it will be a bit of work, not a cut and paste, to manually merge and then later maintain as twi updates those maps. right now some of the maps take a good number of hours to release as is with just minor tweaks because of the time it takes to build lighting and test. that would add just more work so that someone does not have to go to steam workshop and have to press the subscribe button.

this is it. it not all that hard to setup on the server with the server files i give you, dont use the client files, other than to tell people they need to either go to steam worksthop and subscribe or manually install the client files before they can play the map.

re: referecing original files

it would not work because cook will still generate copies that you would need to use and then we have multiple packages with the same name and then the unreal engine blows up saying that. so u cant do it that way. you have to give them new names like i have and you have to adjust your map to reference the new named ones. its just a no no...

for this to happen twi would have to take my maps and merge them with theirs and then do the cooking when they do their releases. im hoping this would happen, it could be like free dlc. or perhaps just bundle it all end. then you dont need to duplicate 7-8 files per map. it would just be the map file and they would reference their assests. but then they have to move some stuff out of those layers and put it either in map or a new layer. it would be like integration work. but i cant do that. because i am not them. and even if i did it would not work because its cooked at different time so it like different version i think. but this is getting out of my knowledge

re: copy cooked map

not quite that way, that would not work. you have to open the cook map in the editor and then do a save as and that changes it. it makes a copy that you can then edit and cook. and then i also have to adjust each of the layers that it uses by referencing the copies that ive made.

ive played all the maps before i release them for a good bit of time and lot sof people telling me they are working so its not a map problem. and none of the changes that i make like changing the sky breaks a map. so it also has the testing twi did, well except for my changes which are of non consequence. so its server setup issue, people having outdated stuff also running like those over year old mutators. ect. and perhaps limits to what types of maps the redirector can presently handle, but again that is a twi must fix problem i didnt write the download process or steam workshop subscribe or publish or even cook. and so i cant easily change it. i just tweak the sky and fog and lighting, ect... no create the games or the tools the environemment they run on. that is too big of issue for me to take on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0