• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Rising Storm Guadalcanal Daytime Territory and Countdown Maps

All Day/Nite - Night/Day maps have been removed from our ReDirect until such time as they D/L properly. All the maps CHOKE on the PBV file....

Users are instructed to visit our RS/RO2 Map Forum to D/L the maps and obtain the Manual Map setup instructions.

thanks! sorry you are having problems

here i did testing with a server i setup and the maps run fine so long as you either download them using steam workshop and that download is sucessful and is not corrupt or if you manually download and install them.

if you try to use redirect it also works, but there is a catch, the redirect download will most likely fail before all the files download because the files are so large that eventually and most likely while downloading the art file which is the biggest the connection to the server will be lost when the server changes map and then you end up with case where u dont get the all files so you cant play anyways. also a lot depends on the speed and reliability for your redirect download server. any issues with it and it again fails.

so its because the files are soo large and combining them is not going to solve that since all u do is have a giant file. 200-300mb or more to download which again will just timeout anyways.

so the best thing is to go to steam client subscribe to the map
let the steam client download the rs/ro2 custom content
then start the game and let rs/ro2 copy into the right place the stuff
dont let the rs/ro2 download do the work it most likely timeout or download corrupt copy...

so there is nothing i can do, i tested the maps with my a dedicated server and they run great. its just you have to get the files... i dont control any of that. and i didnt write steam workshop download nor the games redirect download mechanism so any issues with them i cant fix.

still the maps run great. loads of fun even when playing with bots

so dont use the redirect download way cause it most likely end with connection timeout or connection lost errors or even corrupt downloads.

well unless u have very fast and reliable redirect download server. dropbox is not by the way its too slow and very unreliable so you end up with lots of corrupt files... or very low couple hours to download the files! and the server plays the map for just 30 minutes. so you can see how that will end. in connection lost when map rotates and impartial download! so u cant play!

also note that if a file does not download properly it can cause the game to hang or crash, ect.. so u have to ensure people get good files. sorry nothing i can do there its like running a corrupt executable it will crash...

that is why using the client zip files is the best choice since u know that when you manually download and install you get a good copy that is not corrupt it it was it would not extract!

the steam workshop and be unreliable to this extend. it depends on how busy their servers are and your internet connection, many people have sucky routers like my fios router which is known to cause nothing but issues with large downloads!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All Day/Nite - Night/Day maps have been removed from our ReDirect until such time as they D/L properly. All the maps CHOKE on the PBV file.... (SMALL FILE)

Users are instructed to visit our RS/RO2 Map Forum to D/L the maps and obtain the Manual Map setup instructions.

- - - snip - - -

if you try to use redirect it also works, but there is a catch, the redirect download will most likely fail before all the files download because the files are so large that eventually and most likely while downloading the art file which is the biggest the connection to the server will be lost when the server changes map and then you end up with case where u dont get the all files so you cant play anyways. also a lot depends on the speed and reliability for your redirect download server. any issues with it and it again fails.

so its because the files are soo large and combining them is not going to solve that since all u do is have a giant file. 200-300mb or more to download which again will just timeout anyways. - - - snip - - -

You're welc0me. :)

About the LARGE file concept.... we have them now 200+mb in ReDirect and they go through just fine.

Our ReDirect is among the fastest and most reliable out there.... In testing, the huge ART files fly through...

its the PBV file that crashes the client machines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i tested streaming and it works

please understands it blows when it timesout or when maps changes or when one of the files downloaded turns out to be corrupt.

some people say it blows at the art file and some people say its at one of the other files. but its because its when one of the above happens

for it to work the files have to all download without error of any kind before the map changes.

so i would advice just not using redirect download for these maps. they are most likely going to be problems

just let people know that they need to get the maps either at steam workshop and i give link to the 2 parts that they will need. sorry that its 2 parts for most maps its a steam workshop limit. or the client zip file i give link to and then they will have to manually extract it to the correct folder

i'll update my documentation soon to say exactly which folder

for those who do not know the client maps should be extracted to

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Published\CookedPC\RSGame\Maps

and dont forget <username> must be changes to the users login name

if your hosting then you should go to ro2 wiki and they have an amazing writeup on what to do on the server.

Upvote 0
So is there any difference in the streamed files other than the name?

Just curious as if the files won't streamed unless named exactly the same as the map name... or if NEW ASSETS could be saved in the nocturnal/diurnal version and the stock level left alone for streaming?

Seems like a lot of bandwidth going to d/l something that is already there.

sorry as far as i know your stuck the say it is. i have to edit their files cause their files have the stuff loading in to map, so its not just like regular package, its a level that is streamed in at load time.

for example art which is normally the biggest has the sky loading in. so if you want to change the sky you have to change it.

it's just the way they did it.

and no you cant use their files cause you cant have two files with the same name unreal rightfully sees that as a conflict.

Upvote 0
Streaming works, but the sup-levels are not downloaded with the redirect.
That's why the workshop download works but the redirect doesn't.

actually the redirect will download the sublevels, all you have to do is follow the wiki ro2 dedicated server directions of renaming all .roe files you want downloaded to .upk

the problem is that most likely the map will change before the user fully downloads all the files or the download will timeout or get connection lost error or will be corrupt before all the files are downloaded and if any of the above happen the client will most likely crash or hang

Upvote 0
actually the redirect will download the sublevels, all you have to do is follow the wiki ro2 dedicated server directions of renaming all .roe files you want downloaded to .upk

the problem is that most likely the map will change before the user fully downloads all the files or the download will timeout or get connection lost error or will be corrupt before all the files are downloaded and if any of the above happen the client will most likely crash or hang

All of the files were renamed as per my first post.

This isn't a timeout issue. I and my clan mates were pulling down files while our server sat empty waiting for people to join so there was no way the maps were in the middle of changing causing a time out. And the downloads always stops after the ART file which we can DL in less than a minute with our redirect. And always just four files make the DL before the crash. That is too consistent to be a time out.

A manual install does not help us with people who do not frequent the forums for downloads and especially new players who have no clue. And of course, people are lazy.

We are giving up on these until a resolution comes up. I'll be keeping an eye out. Again, thank you for taking your time to check out and test this.

Upvote 0
All of the files were renamed as per my first post.

This isn't a timeout issue. I and my clan mates were pulling down files while our server sat empty waiting for people to join so there was no way the maps were in the middle of changing causing a time out. And the downloads always stops after the ART file which we can DL in less than a minute with our redirect. And always just four files make the DL before the crash. That is too consistent to be a time out.

A manual install does not help us with people who do not frequent the forums for downloads and especially new players who have no clue. And of course, people are lazy.

We are giving up on these until a resolution comes up. I'll be keeping an eye out. Again, thank you for taking your time to check out and test this.

as u can see others crash somewhere else.

if you/they went to my games\red orchestra 2\rogame\logs and open the last log file and look you will see why it crashed.

take that to twi support and see if they can fix their download code.

if they are not all that up on things just ask them to subscribe to the client at steam workshop using link provided

Upvote 0
Log files results

Log files results

Well for me here is what I got from the log files that corresponded with the dmp files. This shows after many instances of "SteamInfo: ROServerBrowser-Server responded".

[0021.52] Warning: InsertScene: Duplicate scene tag (ROUIScene_ConnectingAndDownloading) detected: NewScene 'ROUISceneConnecting ROGameMenus.MainMenu.ROUIScene_ConnectingAndDownloading' ExistingScene 'ROUISceneConnecting Transient.ROUIScene_ConnectingAndDownloading_0'
[0021.60] SteamInfo: ROServerBrowser-Server failed to respond ip- 1110941365
[0021.60] SteamInfo: ROServerBrowser-Server failed to respond ip- 1156097589
[0021.79] NetComeGo: Close TcpNetDriver_0 TcpipConnection_0 68.232.166.53:7780 06/08/13 17:04:22
[0026.08] Exit: TcpNetDriver_0 shut down
[0026.13] DevMemory: Virtual memory allocation size: 264.71 MByte (277565440 Bytes)
[0035.00] Error: Required package 'ENV_RS_Foliage_NewTrees' not found (download was already attempted)
[0043.59] Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
[0043.60] Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
[0043.87] Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
[0043.87] Exit: UXAudio2Device::ShutdownAfterError
That was from trying Guadal Canal, Saipan, and Kwajalein.

[0019.65] Warning: InsertScene: Duplicate scene tag (ROUIScene_ConnectingAndDownloading) detected: NewScene 'ROUISceneConnecting ROGameMenus.MainMenu.ROUIScene_ConnectingAndDownloading' ExistingScene 'ROUISceneConnecting Transient.ROUIScene_ConnectingAndDownloading_0'
[0019.91] NetComeGo: Close TcpNetDriver_0 TcpipConnection_0 68.232.166.53:7780 06/08/13 17:05:44
[0020.52] SteamInfo: ROServerBrowser-Server failed to respond ip- 1110941365
[0020.52] SteamInfo: ROServerBrowser-Server failed to respond ip- 1156097589
[0076.00] Exit: TcpNetDriver_0 shut down
[0169.31] DevMemory: Virtual memory allocation size: 264.40 MByte (277245952 Bytes)
[0177.72] Error: Required package 'ENV_RS_ShipsHorizon' not found (download was already attempted)
[0186.27] Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
[0186.28] Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
[0186.32] Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
[0186.32] Exit: UXAudio2Device::ShutdownAfterError
And that is from attempting Iwo Jima.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
oh come now look at your very own error log!

it says exactly why you are crashing

[0021.60] SteamInfo: ROServerBrowser-Server failed to respond ip- 1110941365
[0021.60] SteamInfo: ROServerBrowser-Server failed to respond ip- 1156097589
[0021.79] NetComeGo: Close TcpNetDriver_0 TcpipConnection_0 68.232.166.53:7780 06/08/13 17:04:22
[0026.08] Exit: TcpNetDriver_0 shut down

and once that happened it it cascades

[0035.00] Error: Required package 'ENV_RS_Foliage_NewTrees' not found (download was already attempted)

[0019.91] NetComeGo: Close TcpNetDriver_0 TcpipConnection_0 68.232.166.53:7780 06/08/13 17:05:44
[0020.52] SteamInfo: ROServerBrowser-Server failed to respond ip- 1110941365
[0020.52] SteamInfo: ROServerBrowser-Server failed to respond ip- 1156097589
[0076.00] Exit: TcpNetDriver_0 shut down

and once that happened it it cascades

[0177.72] Error: Required package 'ENV_RS_ShipsHorizon' not found (download was already attempted)

now go figure why RoServerBrowser-Server railed to respond...

most likely you timed out or map changed, perhaps server too busy, perhaps internet, perhaps router, ect...

keep in mind the server is trying to do lots of things, other players, ect. and so is the internet and your router and your client so timeouts can happen even when things running smoothly.

also keep in mind that unreal engine does not multithread / task very well. unreal script and lots of things that happen all happen on a single thread and if that thread stays busy for too long things like this happen.

sorry but its just how it is. nothing i can do. and most likely nothing twi will do about it

that is why i have option to manually install the client files and steam workshop way to install the files. unreal redirect download can be problem especially when you are trying to get lots of files and if anyone fails the whole things fails and most likely crashes the game.

it could be you have overly sensitive router shutting down port or connection or the server not configured properly. got to give bigger timeouts and longer keep connection alive times. also keep in mind that this can be going through proxies and other routers and gateways and god know how they are configured. its as good as weakest link. or lowest configured. keep-alive is especially a problem if its being used. some do not follow the same spec and close connection early. also differences between unix/windows results in issues. god knows what the network between u and the servers looks like...

also how is client configured for timeout and keep-alive, it can have very poorly chosen values

but for all this its twi, and network administrators, ect...

nothing i can do i just change the sky ect cook and release. none of which i have control over anyways, i didnt create the maps and i didnt even create the sky i just change one string name to another string name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0