• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Winterwald

I know. I was playing that round with you. You just didn't notice me. :D Next beta has all those suggestions you listed built in already. I am waiting for more game tests before pushing next beta out. Plus it wouldn't be fair to all those new players who just got my map to download another 200mb so soon.

P.S.
I remember a player on the russian team said this is the first map he felt like he was defending something.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know. I was playing that round with you. You just didn't notice me. :D Next beta has all those suggestions you listed built in already. I am waiting for more game tests before pushing next beta out. Plus it wouldn't be fair to all those new players who just got my map to download another 200mb so soon.

P.S.
I remember a player on the russian team said this is the first map he felt like he was defending something.

That's good to hear. I look forward to the updated map.

I play and I type. I was one of the squad leaders that threw as much smoke as possible in front of the Russian firing positions. I also smoked the German positions whenever we got ambushed.

I will play this map more in the days to come.

Upvote 0
Played for the first time on a crowded server tonight. Good to know you are enhancing the Russian defences. Most trenches, foxholes and bunkers they've got have a very obstructed view, with little defensive value and you can only see the enemy when he's already 3m away from you.

I'd also like to see lockdown disabled or with the timer increased to like 15 or 20 minutes. Some objectives require much more time than others, and IMHO there's nothing more frustrating to the attacker than lockdown.

Ah, and those bare bushes have to go, like many said in the server. I'd actually prefer them to stay, but without collision.

Even with all the issues, I had a blast playing this map. Pretty good for a B1 :IS2:

Upvote 0
At least 3 matches I have seen Germans push through to the end. Those were just full servers. Germans win a lot of 50/50 human bot servers. Russians tend to do better when the server is full.

With the new reduced timers for the arty, games will be even more intense. You guys should expect more maxims and trees and grass as well. I am going to do some internal testing tomorrow and hope to have the next beta by the weekend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Currently stuck at work but next time I play Winterwald, I'll take screenies of the points of interest (bulletproof bushes/buggy trenches/being able to see through certain parts of ground etc.)

*RESERVED*
before you take those screenies, open the console with the tilde key ~ and type showdebug. then hit enter and tilde again to exit the console. that'll place a marker on the screen to show your exact location on the map. finding stuff is easy for the map maker to fix then.

Upvote 0
Some feedback here on your map. I played about 5 rounds on this map and I think it's awesome. It's foggy when you begin and as you make your way up the hill it clears up and you end up fighting in the woods. Gameplay is very good. You see people move much more careful and in small groups of soldiers. Teamwork seems to be very good on this map, although this might be because of the servers I played (played on RGN Custom Map server and 40-1 Classic).

The game plays good in both Classic and Realism and it seems quite balanced. It's also looking very pretty and there's lots of nice details on the map. There's two more things I'd like to post here and I already discussed this with you while playing but I'll just put them here again just to be sure.

The radio at A (see screenshot) is now behind some crates that don't provide much cover. There's a truck right next to it that provides more cover so the radio is safer to use.

On the lighting, this is pretty good although some spots are really dark and your weapon and arms look pretty much black. This also applies for some areas of grass, but I think you were already aware of that.

I think that sums op my thoughts on this map. Looking forward to see more :)

Upvote 0
NOT YET UPLOADED!

B2 Changes:
Reduced fog by 5%
Increased light by 10%

Replaced Mamayev Bunkers with dug outs
Replaced 80% of the grass, hopefully no more floating ones
Replaced all the bushes(now destructible and will not block bullets), no more tiny ones to trip on

Moved Russian spawn for C closer
Moved German spawn for G further

Capture time for D increased by 10 seconds
Capture time for B and C decreased by 5 seconds
Capture zone for B and C reduced

Added more defense for G (tunnels, sandbags, and maxims)
-added steps in some trenches for better visibility
Added more defense for K (trees, boxes, sandbags, and maxims)
Added more defense for E (maxim can now aim down properly, more sandbags)
Added a maxim in D

Moved Ammo Resupply in front of the AA guns

Added more trees and snow and grass

Adjusted radio in C for better cover
Added a radio in G
Added a radio and resupply at Russian last spawn

German Arty Timer reduced to 5 minutes from 8
German Mortar Timer reduced to 4 minutes from 5.7
Russian Arty Timer reduced to 6.66 from 8
Russian Mortar Timer reduced to 5 minutes from 5.7

Expanded Map Boundaries
Adjusted Spawn Protection