• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Winterwald

If someone told me that it is a beta of a new official TWI map I would believe that.
Like many others Im very impressed of quality of this map - playability, concept and over all graphic. I like level of details .Maybe you could add some of frozen horse corpses here and there :p
Map seems to be pretty well balanced as well.
danh said today on the server that it took 1.5 month to create that jewel. I remember that Yoshi said it takes 3-4 months to create one map with a bunch of devs.
Confusing a bit for me.

Upvote 0
Very nice work Danh! Beautiful map, lovely atmosphere.
I love the fog in the first caps :cool:

:) I'm getting very good feedback from clan members on this map.
I haven't personally had time to play it, but I am certainly looking forward.
We are hosting it on both 50pc and =TaT= #1.

Can't thank the independent Devs enough for this kind of work.

Upvote 0
Just played a game on TaT server where the Allies held out at E and F. Before the Germans just mowed on through to the last objective.

First it seems like more human players are in the game now. Second, a lot of players are getting to know the map. This is where the real balancing starts. :)

Upvote 0
Finally played the map this evening and it is the best thing since sliced bread!!

What so amazing in this map is that it feels like the first R02 map where you can actually hide in the brush/forest/terrain. I don't know if it's the effect of the fog that helps or the mere fact that your fighting in the snowy wilderness. Whatever the case may be the player models are much harder to see against the world...and I LOVE that. There isn't another map with that effect. It's actually scary to advance as a german becuase you can't see whats hiding out there waiting to pick you off.

With a few fixes aside, which you already mentioned, I believe the map is close to perfect.

and please... whatever you do don't change the fog effect. It's perfect. :)

Upvote 0
I just played another great 3 rounds. It looks like the Russians are getting their act together and defending really well. I noticed my arty timers are too long so I will change that. Also, right now German and Russian have the same amount of arty, this will change next beta. The Germans will have slightly more artillery. The timer for G will increase slightly. I might also add 1 or 2 more second to Russian respawn.

Upvote 0
I tried your map and it's great so far. Unfortunately, I only played with like 16 players and a ton of bots, so I cannot really comment on how 32-32 all human matches would turn out, but:

Regarding artillery: I am ALWAYS against short artillery cool down times. Artillery should be the first and the last idea a commander has to give one devestating blow to the defenders/attackers. A constant artillery bombardment is killing the game. Many maps, Barracks and Mamayev especially, are a freaking artillery spam simply because the team relies on it and the commander sometimes even exploits it. Like: Don't push too hard, let them bleed out through my artillery powning.

Too much artillery in my eyes is more harmful to the game than too less...

Upvote 0
I tried your map and it's great so far. Unfortunately, I only played with like 16 players and a ton of bots, so I cannot really comment on how 32-32 all human matches would turn out, but:

Regarding artillery: I am ALWAYS against short artillery cool down times. Artillery should be the first and the last idea a commander has to give one devestating blow to the defenders/attackers. A constant artillery bombardment is killing the game. Many maps, Barracks and Mamayev especially, are a freaking artillery spam simply because the team relies on it and the commander sometimes even exploits it. Like: Don't push too hard, let them bleed out through my artillery powning.

Too much artillery in my eyes is more harmful to the game than too less...

Right now the timer is 8 minutes! It's too long for the Germans. Bots make it even worst since they don't always go for the cap. I will probably reduce it to 5 to 6 for Germans and 6 to 7 for Russians.

Upvote 0
Not to sound unpleasant, but that's what you get when you release the map after you think you've finalised most of it: feedback incompatible with your desires and hopes. Not that I've mapped for RO, but I guess that's why people release early, unpolished betas to get that initial feedback on the general layout before going over to work on details.

Hope this helps in some way.

Upvote 0
Not to sound unpleasant, but that's what you get when you release the map after you think you've finalised most of it: feedback incompatible with your desires and hopes. Not that I've mapped for RO, but I guess that's why people release early, unpolished betas to get that initial feedback on the general layout before going over to work on details.

:confused: ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
snip.

i don't see how. :confused:
Its called constructive criticism, try it some time.
perhaps you can quote anything I. Kant said in this thread, that was in any way constructive? i just don't see it.
looking forward to playing this map! downloading now!
THANK YOU! :D

Upvote 0
i don't see how. :confused:

perhaps you can quote anything I. Kant said in this thread, that was in any way constructive? i just don't see it.
looking forward to playing this map! downloading now!
THANK YOU! :D

I don't know what I. Kant is referring to. He was very vague so I am very confused.

Not to sound unpleasant, but that's what you get.

What did I "get"?

Upvote 0
List of Upcoming Changes:
Replaced Mamayev Bunkers with dug outs
Replaced 50% of the grass, hopefully no more floating ones
Replaced all the bushes, no more tiny ones to trip on
Capture time for G and D increased by 15 seconds
Added more defense for G
Added more trees and snow
Added more cover for Russians in K
German Arty Timer reduced to 5 minutes from 8
German Mortar Timer reduced to 4 minutes from 5.7
Russian Arty Timer reduced to 6.66 from 8
Russian Mortar Timer reduced to 5 minutes from 5.7
Expanded Map Boundaries
Adjusted Spawn Protection

Feel free to debate these changes and give good reasoning. :D

Upvote 0
Its called constructive criticism, try it some time.

Nice sarcasm. 'Ppreciate it.... NOT!

List of Upcoming Changes:
Replaced Mamayev Bunkers with dug outs
Replaced 50% of the grass, hopefully no more floating ones
Replaced all the bushes, no more tiny ones to trip on
Capture time for G and D increased by 15 seconds
Added more defense for G
Added more trees and snow
Added more cover for Russians in K
German Arty Timer reduced to 5 minutes from 8
German Mortar Timer reduced to 4 minutes from 5.7
Russian Arty Timer reduced to 6.66 from 8
Russian Mortar Timer reduced to 5 minutes from 5.7
Expanded Map Boundaries
Adjusted Spawn Protection

Feel free to debate these changes and give good reasoning. :D
All looks good to me except for the bunker changes - I guess tho, you had good reasons for doing so... Time will tell.

We love the map thus far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This map blew me away! And I just freaking love the foggy atmosphere at the start as we get closer and closer to the enemy, not knowing where they all will be waiting for us. Feels like real battleground and literally makes it so immersive! Yeah add some more snow! And maybe could you increase the fog after the start by a little tiny bit without making it as foggy as in the first caps?
Great job anyway, prolly gonna become one of my fav! ;)

Upvote 0