• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Winterwald

Hm, nice. I really like this map. I haven't got the chance to play it against humans, but here's some feedback:

-I think the Russians could use some better defences, especially on the hill and beyond. On the Bunkers (E) objective, a lot of those bunkers are a bit useless, with a very poor view.

-The HMG also can't kill anyone due to the steep terrain, making it unable to aim at the ground or at any incoming enemy.

-The objective G should be opened once E got capture, as it's much closer to E than to F.

-I think the fog should be reduced a bit. This map has great potential for some good long-range fighting. ATM we can barely see beyond 100m, so I suggest reducing the fog so we can see clearly until 200-250m for some long-range battles.

-I also don't understand that artillery when the round starts. Shouldn't it be falling over the Russians instead of the Germans? Makes more sense to me.

Anyway, I can see this map becoming one of my favourite ones :IS2:

Upvote 0
-I think the Russians could use some better defences, especially on the hill and beyond. On the Bunkers (E) objective, a lot of those bunkers are a bit useless, with a very poor view.

-I think the fog should be reduced a bit. This map has great potential for some good long-range fighting. ATM we can barely see beyond 100m, so I suggest reducing the fog so we can see clearly until 200-250m for some long-range battles.

Agreed on the hill, and bunker. They don't serve too much use atm due to the fact that they can't get a good position on the downhill. Same with the HMG and trenches Maybe stretching the hill so it isn't so steep can help with that but that seems like a lot of work >.>

Don't agree on the fog, well, maybe just a little bit. I like the sense of being blind and cold with the wind and fog.

Upvote 0
Hm, nice. I really like this map. I haven't got the chance to play it against humans, but here's some feedback:

I will remove the bunkers (the mamayev ones) and replace with blockades and sandbags similar to the dug outs on the map.

-The HMG also can't kill anyone due to the steep terrain, making it unable to aim at the ground or at any incoming enemy.

I hoped the HMG would be used to attack the village and slow the german approach. I might change the hill, but that is a lot of work.

-The objective G should be opened once E got capture, as it's much closer to E than to F.

There is a chance that Russians can defend E very well because there is really only one way that the Germans can attack from. I am using F as a second option to stop a heavy Russian defense. Also, from a tactical point of view, it would make sense to flank the Bunkers instead of a direct attack. However, you are given options on my map so choose wisely.

Think of the fog as a blanket of cover for the attacking Germans. Perhaps that day was a good day to attack because they had to run across the fields.

-I also don't understand that artillery when the round starts. Shouldn't it be falling over the Russians instead of the Germans? Makes more sense to me.

The Russians want to stop the Germans from attacking them, so they bombarded them with artillery. However, the Germans had 10 seconds of god mode on.

Anyway, I can see this map becoming one of my favourite ones :IS2:

Thanks

Upvote 0
It is far huh? It serves two purpose. Last objective should be hard, however, it allows the Germans to regroup to make one big offensive. Another reason, the Germans can spawn safely in case Russians decide to push out. However, the Russians have decided to stay in camp for the last couple of games.

Upvote 0
Just played a couple of rounds here are some upcoming possible changes:

Converting bunkers into sandbag/blockades - - - Please NO.
Check/More Spawn Protection
Allies need a radio at last spawn
Adjust objective capture time
More snow

A pleasure meeting you yesterday...

This is a first class Infantry Combat map from soup to nuts - its just great. Please no dilutions, distortions or intentional bias additions due to forceful "walls of text" suggestions. Truly a wonderful first map! We played this map five times yesterday and loved it The Allies won 3x. We play best 2 out of 3 rounds per match The balance is fine, the challenges the map provides are outstanding, and the terrain - in a word, superb.

Neither side gets any preferential treatment.

Job well done! Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great map. Enjoyed playing it very much. Only problem is that when defending G, almost every trench and foxhole are too deep to aim down at the attackers from.

Just finished playing both sides on a full server, first time that I have not heard anybody say anything negative about a map (except for the small branch things that you get caught on/ are bulletproof)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No worries guys! I converted all the bushes to be able to shoot through. I also allowed bullet pen for the tents. Lastly, I will try to remove the tiny bushes.

P.S.
I never had a problem with the bushes. But then again I also knew you couldn't go through them so I avoided them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No worries guys! I converted all the bushes to be able to shoot through. I also allowed bullet pen for the tents. Lastly, I will try to remove the tiny bushes.

P.S.
I never had a problem with the bushes. But then again I also knew you couldn't go through them so I avoided them.
The bushes were just a minor distraction when you were trying to spot who was shooting at you, and from where,when all of a sudden you would come to an abrupt halt and look down to find yourself stuck against a couple of twigs and BANG you're dead. I spent more time trying to avoid them than anything else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The bushes were just a minor distraction when you were trying to spot who was shooting at you, and from where,when all of a sudden you would come to an abrupt halt and look down to find yourself stuck against a couple of twigs and BANG you're dead. I spent more time trying to avoid them than anything else.

I've had this problem, as well. I've even found myself stuck between two bushes, south-east of the barracks.

Rather than remove the bushes entirely, I suggest just removing collision with them. In reality, a person would be able to push by or trample them. I'm fairly sure that most games would treat bushes of this size as intangible, as well. Do you know if they had collision on the map you go them from?

Upvote 0