• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Winterwald

Okay. I will try to sketch up a better defense for the next beta. These guns should be protected better. I want a meaningful attack and defense for the last objective. I get a lot of comments saying that its hard for both sides. This is good.

;)

Don't go overboard. Any skilled team can win this on either side. If you tweak, make small adjustments from this point onward. You'll find the sweet spot.

Upvote 0
These two files, describing a real, very small unit attack on a soviet held village, may prove to be inspirational. The Soviet defenses are obviously professionally placed, and rational.

100 germans vs 50 defending russians.

In this diagram, the Soviets have 3 maxims. One in the center, and one on each flank. The Germans take the position by fixing the forward defenses with heavy weapons, and then the main infantry body flanks and envelops right by clearing one Maxim on the flank and attacking the rear of the defense, so the Russians get hit on both sides.

Eventually, a pocket is created. I bet the Soviet platoon leader and his infantry reserves (effectively the spawn point) are smack in the center of their defense- in the house in the middle. If they received 2 medium mortars, then the Platoon leader and his forward observor would have certainly placed it in the safest place- the center while they decided where to drop shells along a 360 degree axis.

Attachments

• attack 2.jpg
    attack 2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
  • attack.jpg
    attack.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't agree with removing objective K. It feels much more eventful to have to get in the capzone with your teammates to win the map than to just drop a satchel on the final objective to win the map. I've won Red October Factory this way before by destroying F when it was the last objective, and it just doesn't feel the same as having to capture G.

Upvote 0
Right now the only area that will be tweaked is K.

Spot the germans?
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
I just had a very exciting and intense round. The Germans reached the AA guns at around 25 minutes remaining and held off for around 10 to 15 minutes. The basic strategy was to push out as far as the Russians could and basically slow the German advance. Unfortunately, that flank behind the camp is such a good shortcut into the objectives and the Germans funneled most of their team in and the Russians couldn't do anything about it. Overall, everyone was really pleased with that game even though Russians lost.

Upvote 0
Just played another amazing round where the Russians held out even longer. They formed sort of a belt around the camp and we held out until around 6 minutes. Axis 16 and Allies 32 reinforcements. Really awesome teamwork that I was hoping to see on day 1 but I guess map takes some time to get used to. No running and gunning, actually have to form plans and execute them with perfection.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the game is ending too early and the objectives aren't played out as long as I hoped. So I will be making adjustments to make sure game ends at 40 minutes or so, and the game can go either way.

Excellent. By the way, Have I told you the immersion is outstanding? And that the repeat playability is well above par? ;)

Upvote 0