• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Bridges of Druzhina Beta5

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I think should happen is there be boxes at the German spawns or through out the map that contained 3 or 4 German AT grenades, this would be similar to the panzerfaust boxes in some RO1 and DH maps. Giving more people the chance to be able to take out the tank.

I'll look into this.

Played two rounds on TaT Friday night. Germans won both!
was this the version with the Russian tank and how many humans were playing?

It's a real pity the tank can't be disabled by the admins, as I too would love to play an infantry only version. But as for me releasing a tank free version this early in the process, it's way too much of a head spin, sorry. Can one of you server guys start a thread about why you can't disable it? You may get a faster answer outside of this thread. it maybe something i need to set in the world properties but not sure what or where.

yes, the water definitely needs to slow peeps down and drown them when prone. ahhh so much to learn and with so little time to do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
was this the version with the Russian tank and how many humans were playing?

Yes, latest version with T-34. Realism. 64 player server with all humans.

I was SL of the German AT squad. Any time the T-34 came around I would toss smoke on it and one of my guys would take it out with a mine or satchel; rinse, repeat. Eventually it just stayed back behind the line, but from there it wasn't able to support the Russian assault too effectively. I'm sure with some coordination it could shell a position with HE rounds before infantry moved in, but there will always be people who don't take heed and run headlong into the cap and ignore repeated warnings...

Upvote 0
Was just playing with you on Aussie Nz, best game of my life!

Here are some screenshots of glitches i found

Two buildings that can be walked through and exploited.

:D It was awesome fun! I love Cats Aussie/NZ server, great bunch of dudes and his game tweaks are perfect for me.
I also liked how he was asking us to change sides every second round on the customs. That would be a great option for admins.

Thanks for the pics m8, I'll get my hammer out.

Upvote 0
Yes, latest version with T-34. Realism. 64 player server with all humans.

I was SL of the German AT squad. Any time the T-34 came around I would toss smoke on it and one of my guys would take it out with a mine or satchel; rinse, repeat. Eventually it just stayed back behind the line, but from there it wasn't able to support the Russian assault too effectively. I'm sure with some coordination it could shell a position with HE rounds before infantry moved in, but there will always be people who don't take heed and run headlong into the cap and ignore repeated warnings...

Very interesting indeed. Nice team work there.
I played many rounds last night and I'm going to push a few German spawns forward a little as they weren't really able to defend properly most of the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally, I like that the two teams are not balanced like in a mirror. In Ostfront, there were things like one side had arty, the other did not. The Germans had a single Tiger and Russians had a T-34-85 and an IS-2.

I'm the guy with the silencer in the screenie :p that was a fun round, but only so bc of the map.

To the mapper:
1) Your map is totally awesome and just brought up gameplay to a whole new level. THank you you fixed the game, really. I've seen so much more tactics and teamplay on this map, in part I think because you need it.

2) I agree totally with coridon, I love the assymetric aspect, 1 tank. I would love for you to keep that.

I had a blast trying to coordinate the AT-gun fire, calling them out with voip to all target the same area of the tank, while Coridon was providing spawn for us. We stopped it's advance on the bridge several times, and then he would get blown up by infantry closing in.

Our team really depended on coordination and communication to use what limited anti-tank tools we had. That is a bit of awesome gameplay that no other map has, just like no other map has to open ground that is in the map's starting flags.

This is something unique that makes your map even more special, that's why I think you should keep it.

Also ,very importantly, in the second half of the map; in the city the tank loses much of it's effectiveness, and is dependent on infantry support (as in the screenshot - its logical for this to happen). This also balances out the game; at grenades and satchels (dunno if they are in this map) are more than good enough to deal with tanks in a city.

At the start of the map, the Allies start in a choke a bit. This is a problem many mappers overlook, and a problem in many TWI maps (commisar, red oktober). An attacking team surrounds the enemy, and if you don't give them that ability, the defenders move up, and surround you in spawn and you get locked down because there is no way to flank in the start of the map.
==> Your addition of the tank fixed that. It gives the allies a way to move up. This start of the map could really be a problem imo. It is avoided now.

THe way your map is most fun imo, is that in most games on it, the allies advance a few flags, and make it to the end if they are better than the germans. What would not be fun, is if most of the rounds go in to stalemate at first cap, or are won easily by the allies.

Well I hope you are helped by this input. I only posted this because I think your map is so damned good. So far you are my fav for the mapping contest.

Upvote 0
Just played a long round on the map. We won as Russian in the last twenty seconds or so. Easily the best RO map I've ever played; an awesome change of pace from the claustrophobic deathmatches vanilla tends to offer.

One thing I would change, except for bug fixes and the tank always spawning at the starting location, would be moving the spawns slightly further from the village. I don't mind a change of pace, but spawning at sprinting distance from the objectives does take away a bit from the tactical and tense feeling the first few flags render so well.

Anyways congrats again, you did a hell of a job and "fixed" the game. ;)

Upvote 0
Here are the pictures you asked me to take. Squad members were spawning on squad leader and they spawned behind a gated fence and were unable to leave.

I also have a picture of the bots pushing each other up against the fences.

Attachments

• 2012-08-04_00005.jpg
    2012-08-04_00005.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-08-04_00006.jpg
    2012-08-04_00006.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-08-04_00003.jpg
    2012-08-04_00003.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-08-04_00012.jpg
    2012-08-04_00012.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
So, like some people said, the map is much more balanced now. It's slightly biased towards the Russians though, but I think that can be easily be fixed without adding a tank for the Germans:

-Disable spawn on SL. It gives the attackers too much advantage, spawning right next to the cap. What's the fun of having a long open killing field between the Russian spawn and the objective when you can just spawn on an SL who's 10m away from the objective? I even spawned inside some capzones sometimes.

-Make the last river very deep and impossible to cross without using the bridge. I mean, that bridge is supposed to be like Berlin/Kriegstadt Moltke Bridge, the hardest objective in the map.

-Add 50 or 100 more reinforcements for each side. Usually there aren't enough reinforcements to take the battle to the bridge. When the Russians reach that point, the Germans are already almost out. I personally don't think reinforcements should deplete that easily, but only when a team is performing very badly (that's why I'd give 1000 for the Russians and 900 for the Germans).

It would all be much better if we had Panzerfausts and AT cannons :D

Upvote 0
Got a chance to play this for the first time. Really nice. Inspires the kind of teamwork I liked in RO.
Yeah, that battle was incredible. I don't think I'd seen so much teamwork on a public server before in RO2. My jaw dropped when I saw that scene you captured. There were even more guys behind them. Even the tank was shared and managed to work well.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that battle was incredible. I don't think I'd seen so much teamwork on a public server before in RO2. My jaw dropped when I saw that scene you captured. There were even more guys behind them. Even the tank was shared and managed to work well.

What was really cool about that infantry using the tank for cover was that it was organized: one or two of the guys over voice said "When the tank comes up, pile in behind it and we rush with it" (we were getting slaughtered by an excellent German defense). The tank rolled up, the troops got in position, the mass of them rolled into the German line and we took the objective. Flawless, and looking from the screenshot to the historic photo, it works for a reason. I love maps that recreate the conditions, then you get simlar results to what actually happened. It is fun science.

Upvote 0
We have this playing on our ColdSteel server.
A very very cool map, well done and I hope you enter it into the map competition..;)

banner_560x95.png

Upvote 0
Yesterday, in our Custom Maps Server.... (ONLY Custom Maps)

RGN "SEMPER FIDELIS Custom Map Server" RO2 64 Player Server
64.94.238.123:7777

We had a blast in this map. The Russian Tank is easily overcome as long as there are enough players. Too few players and the tank dominates.

Great map that's bound to produce many memorable battles.

Upvote 0
Yesterday, in our Custom Maps Server.... (ONLY Custom Maps)

RGN "SEMPER FIDELIS Custom Map Server" RO2 64 Player Server
64.94.238.123:7777

We had a blast in this map. The Russian Tank is easily overcome as long as there are enough players. Too few players and the tank dominates.

Great map that's bound to produce many memorable battles.
I'm glad you've reconsidered the tank now. Maybe the tank should be disabled until there is a certain amount of players in game. Maybe about 40 or more?

Upvote 0
I've just played several great rounds as a Soviet Engineer on this map, and I say -- give Engineers more to do!

Axis Engies have their concern -- the tank, while their Soviet counterparts aren't much more than Assaults without frag grenades.

Adding destructible objects would be brilliant. Possible location -- the more the better and all over the place, but I'd say adding something in Bakery and Distillery (first objectives in the town), as they are pretty hard to enter. Being able to blow a hole in that wall or removing the doors would be really helpful and fun for the Engies.

Upvote 0
I've just played several great rounds as a Soviet Engineer on this map, and I say -- give Engineers more to do!

Axis Engies have their concern -- the tank, while their Soviet counterparts aren't much more than Assaults without frag grenades.

Adding destructible objects would be brilliant. Possible location -- the more the better and all over the place, but I'd say adding something in Bakery and Distillery (first objectives in the town), as they are pretty hard to enter. Being able to blow a hole in that wall or removing the doors would be really helpful and fun for the Engies.
I think he could add some tank traps on the bridge and on the streets of the city. Without engineers, the Russian tank wouldn't be able to cross those areas (would still have to find a way to stop the tank from crossing the water).

Upvote 0
If the Russian tank is to stay...... add a German tank for the Russian Engineers to occupy themselves with. ;)

Then..... the map will have gone full circle. From being a AAA Class1 Infantry Map to another run of the mill Combined Arms map. I'll never forget the fantastic Infantry combat we enjoyed in the first version of this map.

A beautiful diamond.... crosscut and ruined. Please..... reconsider tanks in this map. Simply put, it doesn't need them.

ps; the last German spawn on the far side of the 2cnd bridge where they leave via a climb up a mound of dirt over a short fence/wall... (the only exit) The Russians gang up and spawn rape to their heart's delight as the German exit the spawn area.. not nice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.