• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Bridges of Druzhina Beta5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just played it and I'm loving it. It's the kind of urban warfare I like.
There isn't much to say, everything has been covered by Kaizer already. :)

So far the best custom map I played, just wait for mine to get ready muahaha :p

You should move this to Beta map releases.

I couldn't agree more....really nice work and it will only get better as you continue to fine tune the map. My only suggestion is do not give into pressure from various players who want you to make major changes as the atmosphere, lighting, terrain, and the challenge this map presents is just what we need.

Upvote 0
Just played this with some bots. Damn, what a beautiful map. Fantastic job, Harley! Reminds me a lot of DH. Kaizer already said almost everything I had to say, but I have some things to add:

-Germans should get like 500 reinforcements and the Russians like 700. Have to run a few tests on crowded servers to make it spot on.

-Some tanks would also be nice, maybe two for the Russians and one for the Germans (I think two PzIVs on defence would make it a massacre for the Russians).

-I also noticed there's no artillery, you could add some mortars and howitzer, but I wouldn't add rockets.

-The first caps are just too close to the Russian spawn, like Kaizer said.

-Some caps also have no letters. It might look irrelevant, but could be important for communication.

-I think you should reduce the fog a little. Couldn't see anyone past 200m. It's a pretty open map and would be great for long-range fighting, but this heavy fog makes it much harder to see, especially for snipers, who can't stay far back.

Overall, I think it's the best custom map I've seen so far for RO2, and most other maps are great, so you really made an oustanding job here! I hope to see more maps coming from you, you must be very talented. Someone please get this map on a server, preferably on FJg!!!

As soon as I can find my Engineer, it will be up on our two main servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Where did you find those pine trees?

I made them. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cut'n'paste from the other thread with additions.

Firstly, Thanks guys for the great feedback, ideas and very kind words. I'm really happy you're enjoying it so far. Thanks also for reporting the bugs.

@Romano - "The map is working good but we had a problem on our server at a moment, some people who played the map before couldn't join, with this error: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...0.resizedimage"

Damn, I have no idea why that's happening Romano. Have you tried it since, is it still occurring? Perhaps someone else here could help pinpoint the problem. I haven't had anyone else mention this error but it doesn't mean it's not happening. edit: it's happen a lot now. TW are helping to find the problem.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-I will add more reinforcements for sure. I had a lot more originally but I stupidly played with the numbers at the last minute and reduced it far too much. Silly me.

- I will look into adding Tanks. Not sure how to stop them from going through the river though without adding more meshes to the scene though. May tip me over the draw call budget.

-Artillery is in there Nezzer...at least it should be. Can anyone confirm they've used or seen it working?

-The first two russian objectives are very close to spawn yes but are there to balance the paceing rather than as a challenging objective - kinda cheating a little but I found in my own testing that without them the Russians were at the trenches too easily. And it was a never ending back and forth of German spawn placement to balance that. But if Russians are finding it too hard to get to the trenches as it is, then I can remove them altogether. I think maybe moving them more forward may make the field crossing even harder.

-The fog distance is also a deliberate decision for balancing. I didn't want snipers and especially riflemen to be able to sit too far back and pick the russians off as it's already pretty hard to get across the fields with little cover. I nearly made the fog shorter for this reason. But I've made the Bakery and Distillery sniper and riflemen friendly for when the Russians are beyond the fields and are advancing through the woods and they at least have some trees for cover. more fun and challenging for snipers - this is how I hope it will work anyway. lol!

-The missing letters on some obj's has been driving me crazy for a while now. I just can't work it out. But I will look deeper into it.

-regards to slowing down the player in the water, I agree and I really wanted to do this but could'nt work out how to do it. If anyone knows how let me know. Splashes, sounds etc are outside my abilities I'm afraid.

-the structures you mentioned Kaizer are meant to be a generic shed (for wood or whatever) and it's all I had to work with at the time, it's a TW model that I dressed up with metal sheeting to simulate a shed. I would have liked to have made something specific myself but I've made lots of models for this map and I had to draw the line somewhere as it was taking far too long. Will fix the radios and the other bugs you've found, cheers for the screen shots too.

-Oh and yes the assets are free to use for other mappers. :IS2:
All I ask for is a credit...and perhaps a packet of dry biscuits...make sure they're stale though, none of this 'fresh' business.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Outstanding.

I have hope for this game once again. Reminds me of Sepp's DH maps, and looks absolutely stunning. TWI ought to take some notes.

e/ Quickly ran around the map, other than a few minor issues as already pointed out, I feel that the capzones could stand to be more clearly defined and in several cases, larger. The right flank and woods objectives in particular ought to receive this treatment, and objectives within buildings should take up either the entire building, or a defined floor of said building. Having more enterable buildings could really help too - I know it means a lot more work, but the benefit in terms of detail and atmosphere and gameplay would offset that a lot. Particularly where the Soviets are overlooking the final objective.

I also like your objective names ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this map is truly epic!

played two matches in a row, and all rounds except the first one were very tense (poor russians got slaughtered badly at first, but they learned and developed a good strategy and started giving the german team hell from round 2 onward).
there are lots of interesting spots, i like that the german radios are far behind (arty can effectively directed anywhere from the bakery).

the open terrain -> forest -> village -transition makes the map feel like three maps in one, i'm more than impressed :)

Upvote 0
It is up on our servers now. Initial feedback that I have seen was invisible walls(which a couple of guys have taken screenies of, I just hope they post them). The trees on the right flank(Russians) from the initial Russian spawn point down to the bridges, are floating. Able to prone in water(water is reported to be bullet proof too).

Lots of complaints coming from the Russian side that it is way to hard to cap the bridges. They would like to see more cover to help them reach there.

I have directed the complainers and bug finder to come here and report their finding. We shall see if they do.

Our rotation is(2fjg)

TE-MamayevKurgan
TE-Bridges_of_Druzhina_B1
TE-Apartments
TE-CommissarsHouse
TE-Barracks
TE-Gumrakstation-B3
TE-FallenFighters
TE-Station
TE-RedOctoberFactory
TE-GrainElevator
TE-Spartanovka
TE-PavlovsHouse

If you want to hop on Harley when it comes up. Custom maps may be taken off the server from around 6-7 am gmt to around 3 pm Gmt, to stop the servers being emptied when one comes up during this time period.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just downloaded your map, looks sweet. I've seen populated servers in the server browser playing it but I haven't had a chance to join one yet.

Also, thank you for making the assets available to other mappers! I've been trying to figure out how to find some evergreen trees for a map I'm working on, and here you've gone out and created them. Awesome. I don't have any stale packets of dry biscuits, but maybe if I set aside some fresh ones now they'd be stale by the time my own map is ready to publish. Either way, if I can use those trees I'll credit you with creating them in a nice tasteful font. Or flashing lights. Whatever you want.

Upvote 0
My god, Harley.... I am speechless. This map is freaking awesome. This is the kind of map RO 2 needs. It's big and open, combines open fields with urban combat. Just stunning!

You might want to add some details at a later stage maybe. Burning tanks, some abandoned cars and some more debris here and there. It's still a bit empty, especially inside the village.

Please also consider to give the russians one tank and some engineers/AT rifles to the Germans. This would do a lot for balancing, plus, at least I assume it, many players would like a combined arms map, where just one side has armor. It would perfectly fit your map.

Thanks for your work man, I am still speechless. Will give you more feedback, when I have played it with more human enemies. Played 3 rounds with approx 40 bots and 12 human players only.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Everybody in and associated with =TaT= loves this map. The potential is awesome. But we've experienced some odd behavior with it on both servers. This is not a criticism. I'm just a little concerned. For the most part, the map runs fine. But on two occasions, over two days, the map ceased functioning. What happened was this: Upon connection to the initial "custom map" connection page, it became apparent that the connection was timing out. So I would hit the F10 key to abort. Upon doing that, an error message would a appear describing a failure of the program to find one or more elements of a "Package" file. Wash, rinse, repeat. Thinking we had a corrupt upload, I reacquired everything and placed it on the servers and redirect. Things went along fine for most of the day, and then the situation repeated itself on one of the servers. The other continued ok. I subsequently found I could make the map behave again by restarting the server. I seems to me that one of two things might be happening. Something in our server engines might not be up to date, although that seems unlikely, or the map itself might need to be re-cooked. Just a guess. So far today everything is
ok. Whatever is causing this behavior seems borderline and occurs only under some narrow condition. I suspect it will go away with a future beta, but it's curious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.