• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]TE-Coldsteel

Yeah I know abou that area. See the Issue thing i posted above in the release post.
Its the only area left where this can happen. On a filled server the chance it will happen
will be small.

It happens when Allies recapture the Strippinghall and some Axis are in the Storage area. With normal gameplay it will hardly happen as Allies need to cross that area to get in to recapture the Strippinghall.

All I need to do now is fix that Spawnprotection thing which cause me way to much Pain in My butt.
As mentioned in another topic I have no idea how to fix this in Kismet or how to add a gate in Kismet
in combination with a recapture option. By now it caused me way to much time already.
Would love to see some clear direction from TWI on this thing.

I got an example from Swag how to fix it but i have no clue how to combine it with a recapture option.
The provided SDK example maps don't have any kind of gate in the attack/defense kismet logic.

Taking notes and will supply you with any info we discover.

Again, Thank you for including ALL weapons. Thus leaving weapons choices to the players!

Upvote 0
I like the changes. Map looks nicer now.I noticed that strange curtin next to T34 wrecage, not visible from a front of tank. I some windows cover point is not in a center, moved to a side.
Map running on my Classic server. Today both ColdSteel 8 and DieBresche will be played from 19.30 GMT. You can schedule an event if you want.

Thanks Mord. That must be a dirt decal behaving weird. Will check that.
I didn't noticed myself. 19:30 GMT is 20:30 my time. I will force my wife to sleep and join for a game.

@ Mike no big deal. I added weapons like TWI did or not ?

Upvote 0
------ snip ------

@ Mike no big deal. I added weapons like TWI did or not ?

Actually, it is a big deal to many of us who making our own choices.... Some mappers chose to limit weapons..

Thank you again.

Edit; I walked the entire (CD-TE-FF) map and checked every T34... saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Again, my favorite custom map thus far but my only gripe is the C cap zone, as I feel it isn't necessary.

The grounds (Deadly Crossings) between B and E should be more of a battlefield push then a capzone itself. The design layout of this particular portion of the map is already ripe for awesome fire fights between the two factory walls and everything in between, yet to me it seems it is more akin to an iconic deadly traverse more so then a cap zone. The fact that I can literally just walk into C out of B doesn't seem fulfilling on the German side, it feels like a forced on cap to give the illusion of an expanded map - something in my humble opinion, Coldtsteel doesn't need as it is already rich in layout and size. It cheapens the value and doesn't allow me to respect/fear that portion of the map as something deadly and intimidating as it was set out to be by design.

Spoiler!

Cold Steel Overhead Map

Deadly crossing is a memorable portion of the map but it should be challenging obstacle for the Germans to reach their destination similar to Commissars House with Russians pushing out of spawn into A house or like Spartanovka when pushing from one housing block to the other or an even more worthwhile classical example, like the action between the village ruins and the ridge in Smolensk Stalemate (Ostfront).

Spoiler!

Smolensk Stalemate Map Portion Example

One might ask why I don't share the same perspective on the E and F caps on Coldsteel which are similarly close, but those are rightly justified as it is an indoor battle and represents fighting for one wing on to the other - very similar to what Pavlov's House does with B and A respectively.

Spoiler!

Pavlov's House Overhead Map

Yet, with Deadly Crossing being outdoors it feels like it should be more of a set stage to breach the next cap and aside the size of Deadly Crossing, reminds me of the movie Stalingrad where the Germans are moving up to storm the factory.

Stalingrad movie - Storming the Factory - YouTube

I just think it would fit the map better if it wasn't a cap zone and garner respect on the German side as a memorable challenging portion with special attention to tactical approach. This suggestion is with all due respect and from someone who truly admires the map design, so I hope this critique isn't taken personal or fall on deaf ears.

Keep up the good work, Drecks. This map is a serious contender. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Kaiser I really like your input. Its constructive and makes sense.

My hope for that capzone was a brutal fight. I admitt its close to capzone B and Axis walk right in. But in the theory I had in mind not all Axis where at a position to move straight into it and hoped Russians would use it to set up some sort of stronghold.

For that reason I added more stuff there and the Fixed MG covering that ruined area where Axis can enter it.

It might need to let the Allies spawn close to it to make it really hard to get. But I took the Allies spawn more backwards as I could not get rid of that Spawnprotection problem. The same problem let me made Objective D not recapable. Let us try this version for a while and see how it works.

Meanwhile I have to make the spawnprotection which get activated when object C is captured smaller as it kills to many Russians fighting in objective B. But one could ask wby these same Russians didn't help defending C.

Good discussion...

Upvote 0
I could reproduce it today and it happens when the Russians recap objective D (Distribution area 4) This will reactivate the spawnprotection which protect Russian spawn when they defend objective C (Deadly Alley)

I really though I was in another area yesterday evening when it happend but not sure anymore.

I just don't have the Kismet knowledge to fix this with a gate. Even with the example I got. I don't know how to add it with a recap option.

So I have to find another solution. Maybe just take away the recap option for that objective. Which will make it easier for the Axis.

Still I can't see why these previous spawnprotection gets reactivated while they are disabled earlier in the Kismet logic.
And why is only the spawnprotection activated and not the spawn ?
And why won't it kill the player ?

Took a look at the Kismet, and it looks as if the Stripping Hall and Distribution Area are simultaneously activated, which is fine, except that it cascades at the same time. So when one is capped, the other is protected or vise versa, or even worse, both sapwn protection volumes become enabled at the same time.

I reccomend separating them as much as possible, i.e. removing links between them (Activate objective), and instead using separate instances of the same item (Activate Objective) for each. Maybe that will help.

Also, the basic principle with the original RO was to keep spawn areas completely separate, outside of gameplay areas, to prevent such problems, as well as spawn camping. But things are getting more dynamic. :)

FYI yesterday I was in Station as Axis, in the final cap zone just before it was triggered. As soon as it was enabled, while I was inside it, I got the DANGER WILL ROBINSON countdown to death. I ran in fear, then realized it was a bug, ran back in, proceeded to cap, and the timer went to zero. I survived and capped. The round ended, and then I was yelled at again: "you're leaving the combat zone!" So, it's not perfect....

/edit lol [TW]Swag fixed it :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback peeps I will add that on my to do list.

Played a few rounds in Classic mode on the 40-1 server.
The one time cap of that Distribution area 4 seems to help to focus both teams on on the Stripping hall. Unfortunatly I forgot to move the spawn which is close to Distribution area 4 closer to the Stripping hall so rundistance for Axis is to long there.

There are more things which needs to be solved.As ab example some opportunities to shoot into spawns. Showed by my own son who started to shoot into spawn. He sleeps outside tonight.

Upvote 0
Again, my favorite custom map thus far but my only gripe is the C cap zone, as I feel it isn't necessary...

Odd as this may sound, I actually like it as a cap zone. By being one of the objectives, it is an area that must be overcome in order to advance. It allows the Russians a starting point to retake B if they choose. It also adjusts spawn points for the two sides as well.

However, IF it were left out as an objective, I think some of the cover should be removed. With the trench and some smoke, it will so much easier for the Germans to simply cross in a straight forward attack. Not so much a big deal for the Russians to retake B because they don't have to if they don't want to.

Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0
However, IF it were left out as an objective, I think some of the cover should be removed. With the trench and some smoke, it will so much easier for the Germans to simply cross in a straight forward attack. Not so much a big deal for the Russians to retake B because they don't have to if they don't want to.

Just my thoughts.

Perhaps stretch out the cap zone up north a bit, and pull it up south where the trench line is? In that why it remains a good flanking fire position for either faction that controls it but not an easy hidey-hole to cap from.

Spoiler!

I'm not sure, to be quite honest - I'm still looking for a full server to test this map in aside from the matches I had today with just a handful of human players and the remainder being bots. Until then my suggestions are merely just me thinking out loud... and in text. Getting in some full matches on it with all human players is priority number one though.

Upvote 0
Really enjoyed playing Coldsteel yesterday on the test server. I think the map looks awesome and plays great. The fight stalls a bit at the last objective though on Classic mode. Maybe the Germans had a crappy team but I don't think they ever succeeded to cap the last objective. The first objective also falls a bit too quick on Classic mode.

The caps are fine as they are imho. Perhaps the last capzone could use some more routes to it or easier routes since I (and apparently more Germans) find it hard to get there.

For the rest I think this map is good, there's plenty of cover yet it doesn't feel like it's overdone, you can play however you want (plenty of possibilty's for both short- and longrange engagements) and the environment is very believable. It really feels like a bombed out steel factory and not just some buildings with some random machinery and rubble in them.

Perhaps this could be tested in Realism on a (almost) full server again soonish to see if the map is better balanced for Realism (since that what's the majority is playing).

Upvote 0
Really enjoyed playing Coldsteel yesterday on the test server. I think the map looks awesome and plays great. The fight stalls a bit at the last objective though on Classic mode. Maybe the Germans had a crappy team but I don't think they ever succeeded to cap the last objective. The first objective also falls a bit too quick on Classic mode.

Yeah your right. Previous version had that Distribution area recapable. But i made is a one cap and close. The Spawnarea is still on the position to recap it back for Axis. So its to far away for the Axis to get to that last objective.
So it will move closer to give them a chance.

First objective in Classic is poo. Its better in Realism.

Upvote 0
This last update has made the map really truly beautiful, like something that might come packaged with the base game.

I think you might want to give the covernodes more attention in the next update though. There are many walls, corners, boxes, etc. where it would seem intuitive that you could take cover behind them, but in fact the cover nodes are not there. It's not so much a problem for the riflemen and assaults, but it really prevents the MGs from deploying at good locations, which in turn makes them sort of useless.

Also, on things like windows and sandbags, once you take cover, there are many times where it is not possible to slide left and right along the cover. This means that if you deploy your weapon from a window, you will always be in the exact center of it. For sandbags, you have to detach from cover and re-attach to move to a different location.

Anyways, great work on the map! I think it's almost ready for a final release. :)

Upvote 0
Yeah your right about the covers. They need to be tuned for the next update. More covers against eachother and spread more of them around.

I wasted way to much time on that spawnprotection red screen issue for this update.
Moving spawnareas testing moving them again testing. Try this in kismet testing try that and testing. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

For now I add more work to the covers and there are two spawns which might to be moved a little. Meanwhile I play the map as much as possible
and make screens of stuff which need some attention and to see how the gameplay turns out. Just had a game on full 2Fjg server. It's nice when I see a group of Axis flanking to get the last objective and winning the game. Played FF on the RGN server. Now waiting for feedback on the CD version. I already noticed I made a mistake in the CD kismet :cool:

Upvote 0
I played few days ago on a 40-1 classic server and everything was fine, i didnt notice anything weird, map is fantastic.
Deployment is good ( i play MG so if im happy.. ), only on some windows in halls due to the fact that they hawe some teeths on, leftover from explosion ( bars of a wooden frame ) MG movment is reduced.
My suggestion for the map is putting some steel bars and remains of the upper floors in halls - like OST map Stalingrad had in that factory, that should make fighting more bitter and hard, and also, some doors for breeching from that map would be nice too...
Keep on the good work!

Upvote 0