• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]TE-Coldsteel

Thanks Drecks. We got map running in our Classic server rotation and players really enjoy it. The most important is this map seems to be very well balanced for Classic mode!

Nice you guys enjoy the map. I have two days off starting tomorrow and tuesday. Hope to test beta 7 tomorrow night and hope even more the added cover,routes and slightly moved spawns won't change the gameplay to much. I moved the spawns so it won't suffer the spawnprotection issue.
I also added another radio in the Railarea so if Axis control that low building they can drop arty or call in the recon plane.

Can anyone tell how the balance is now. Like who wins more Axis or Allies ?

I ran a local test on a Countdown version. Seems to work well.
Funny thing is I never play Countdown so how can I tell it runs ok. :eek:
I might just release the Countdown version and let the player drop feedback on that.

A Firefight version will be released to.

Now of to real life work again... Hooray for Sunday shifts.

Upvote 0
----- snip -----
I also added another radio in the Railarea so if Axis control that low building they can drop arty or call in the recon plane.

Excellent. Please fix the stumbles and trip ups encountered when trying to cross over corrugated steel laying on the ground and the steel beams on the ground.

Can anyone tell how the balance is now. Like who wins more Axis or Allies ?
Balance is good - we play this puppy often on our RGN Custom Map Server and both sides win regularly.

I ran a local test on a Countdown version. Seems to work well.
Funny thing is I never play Countdown so how can I tell it runs ok. :eek:
I might just release the Countdown version and let the player drop feedback on that.
Good - Its the best thing to do - get player input.

A Firefight version will be released to.
Thank you ...there many players who enjoy FF.

Also, thank you for making ALL the weapons available. You set a good example of mapping with an un-biased attitude. CUDOS! :)

Now of to real life work again... Hooray for Sunday shifts.
Oh, how I remember those days.....

ps; I don't miss them!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just played beta 6 of ColdSteel and liked it quite a bit.
it's very open which will be great for full servers. It also reminds me of the factory in northern Stalingrad, Krazniy Oktyabr? With large destroyed industrial buildings... very authentic.

Suggestions:

1) Greening - there seems to be an oversaturation of sunlight resulting in a 'greening' effect, an artifact of light intensity beyond the engine's capabilities giving the landscape a green hue. I'd recommend reducing the number of sun lighting sources or intensity, and changing the sun color to either a blue hue or orange hue, and changing the post-process lighting to something other than yellow-green. Volume lighting/shadows do look good at a medium earth tone. Combine that with orange sunlight and blue post-process, or some combination of the three, and it would look much better.

2) Destroyable objectives & Engineers - there are many paths to the objectives which is great, but why not offer additional gameplay by adding destroyable doors on the shortest routes? Much like the old Kessel map....

3) Color - Architectural objects and terrain seem to be all the same color. Try mixing it up. Maybe change the I-beams to red or gray, and the brick to red, or white chipped paint over red brick. Something with contrast and a consistant design pattern. Red steel and gray or yellow brick, or gray steel and red and white brick would offer excellent contrast. Perhaps they are different colors as they are, but are washed by lighting and thus look similar.

Thanks for the map and GL in contest :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the comment.

We just tested Beta 7 with 64 players on the TWI server. The Green lightning is gone in beta 7 so better lightning.
Iff i'm correct beta 6 had three destoyable doors but the buggers didn't show on the overhead map.
I won't change textures but maybe the changed light help that part.

About the beta 7 test. Testing it on a public server without real orders or suggestions what to test, makes it hard to tell which what balance tweaks it needs. First game Axis did not have a chance at all later on I manage to win as Axis. Still I think it needs tweaks to give Axis a better chance. Guess konger spawn distance for Allies especcially at the last three objectives might help. But it a lot depends on the players willing to go for a cap zone or not.

Spawnprotection bug.

At a certain moment I noticed the notorious spawnprotection bug. I call it a bug don't know iff it is. But it happend when Allies ran out of reinforcements and they manage to cap back The Distribution area objective. All of a sudden I was in a Spawnprotectionzone.
I tested this local and I did not notice this one. When I opened up the mapfile in the Editor I found out the area I was when It turned into a capzone doesn't even have a spwanprotection volume. So I received some more grey hair.

I will try to reproduce it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
Thanks for the comment.

We just tested Beta 7 with 64 players on the TWI server. The Green lightning is gone in beta 7 so better lightning.
Iff i'm correct beta 6 had three destoyable doors but the buggers didn't show on the overhead map.
I won't change textures but maybe the changed light help that part.

About the beta 7 test. Testing it on a public server without real orders or suggestions what to test, makes it hard to tell which what balance tweaks it needs. First game Axis did not have a chance at all later on I manage to win as Axis. Still I think it needs tweaks to give Axis a better chance. Guess konger spawn distance for Allies especcially at the last three objectives might help. But it a lot depends on the players willing to go for a cap zone or not.

Spawnprotection bug.

At a certain moment I noticed the notorious spawnprotection bug. I call it a bug don't know iff it is. But it happend when Allies ran out of reinforcements and they manage to cap back The Distribution area objective. All of a sudden I was in a Spawnprotectionzone.
I tested this local and I did not notice this one. When I opened up the mapfile in the Editor I found out the area I was when It turned into a capzone doesn't even have a spwanprotection volume. So I received some more grey hair.

I will try to reproduce it tomorrow.

Could be a cap zone that is locked? I noticed this on a stock map... I was killed in 'spawn protection zone' while inside a cap zone that changed to a locked state.

Upvote 0
I could reproduce it today and it happens when the Russians recap objective D (Distribution area 4) This will reactivate the spawnprotection which protect Russian spawn when they defend objective C (Deadly Alley)

I really though I was in another area yesterday evening when it happend but not sure anymore.

I just don't have the Kismet knowledge to fix this with a gate. Even with the example I got. I don't know how to add it with a recap option.

So I have to find another solution. Maybe just take away the recap option for that objective. Which will make it easier for the Axis.

Still I can't see why these previous spawnprotection gets reactivated while they are disabled earlier in the Kismet logic.
And why is only the spawnprotection activated and not the spawn ?
And why won't it kill the player ?

Upvote 0
cold_beta_8.jpg

Time for an update. This update comes with an Territory, Countdown and Firefight mode for the map.

About Coldsteel:

Map is situated in an Industrial setting. Late september 1942
Attack defense. Axis have to attack a steel factory. It has 6 objectives.

Territory

1st Objective (The Railarea) is no recap
2th Objective (Rolling Hall) is recapable
3rd Objective (Deadly Alley) once taken it close down the 2th and is not recapable
4th and 5th objective Stripping hall and Distribution area opens up now.
Stripping hall is a recapable objective while Distribution area 4 close down once taken
When the stripping hall is taken the 6th and last objective the Storage area will open.

Countdown

6 objectives in the same order.
I hardly play Countdown so feedback on Countdown is very welcome.

Firefight

Just kill all you see in a different uniform. I resized the playarea a little but if
a smaller area is desired let me know.

======================================

The maps contains models made by Shadowwill and Olivier Big thanks for that.

Changelist and Fixes:

More rubble,detail and cover added. (less empty halls)
More mantle and climb options.
Total different light
Some fixed MG's added
Reconplane added
6 objectives

Feedback needed

You can't make a map without feedback on gameplay or other map related issues.
I hardly play Countdown so feedback on Countdown is very welcome.

So iff one wants to contribute and have feedback to it in this topic instead of in game.
I tried to add covernodes on avery serious spot. Iff you miss a spot post them here.

Files

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17947857/CookedPC.7zPC files

PCServer

Known Issues:

There is a known bug that happens on some Stock and Custom maps. At some occacions when a capzone is taken it will trigger a previous spawnprotectionvolume. This spawnprotectionvolume will turn your screen red but won't kill you.
It will be gone when you respawn. I could not fix this in kismet so i used other tactics to avoind this thing.
It made change some of the map lay out and spawnareas.

Last but not least I want to thank the other mappers here at this forum......

Greets Drecks

Upvote 0
I like the changes. Map looks nicer now.I noticed that strange curtin next to T34 wrecage, not visible from a front of tank. I some windows cover point is not in a center, moved to a side.
Map running on my Classic server. Today both ColdSteel 8 and DieBresche will be played from 19.30 GMT. You can schedule an event if you want.

Attachments

• 2012-07-05_00003.jpg
    2012-07-05_00003.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0