• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]TE-Coldsteel

Awaiting test D/L links patiently.... :)

Guess I won't post a download link before that spawnprotection thing is solved. As it won't get anywhere when players can spawnkill.

Still I really wonder what SQBsam been playing.

The direction of attack has one angle thats when Axis have capped objective two. Then they turn right towards that large factory. And while spawning the player is always pointed in the direction where to go....

There are overhead maps to show what to defend/attack and one can press T to see what to defend/attack. Allies and Axis nowhere spawn that close to each other. The objective is always closer.

Russians didn't know where the main German spawns were, and so were spread out trying to defend uncaps
Isn't that what they are supposed to do. And German spawning on the opposite side of the uncapped area. So when you go to defend you will meet them eventually.

The only thing what could cause problems and might make people walk around are the two missing spawnprotections for Allies when they defend Obj 2 and Obj 3

I'm really bumped what happend there. Hope some test will shine a light this weekend. I might post an overhead showing what is where.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here some overheads with spawns per objective and showing the objectives. Starting from Objective 1

These are the spawns in the released beta 6 version. The update will have slightly different positions.
I can't find any axis/allies spawns close to eachother.

coldoverhead1.jpg

coldoverhead2.jpg

coldoverhead3.jpg

coldoverhead4.jpg

coldoverhead5.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played this map for the first time last night and I think I can understand what Sam is talking about in regards to direction of attack. When you think about all the maps so far, there is only one direction of attack and the map involves moving further in the same direction to take the next objective. However by looking at those spawn points, the direction of attack changes 3 times. At first in runs South, then South-West, then West.

Due to these changes in direction I found myself not knowing which way to defend and needing to use the map a lot to find where the last cap was which I presumed would be the place they were now spawning. Apart from the map, I was relying on sound - hunting german weapons and voices which made for some intense moments when i found them.

If you want to act upon the whole direction of attack- it would require a bit of shifting around. It could be solved by rotating A and B 90 degrees and placing A to the right of B. Then attack would just run west. Or dare I say it, I think recon would help. edit: Just looking at the maps again this would make more sense with objective D as well. From the first spawn it looks as if one could just go straight there and cap it at the beginning but instead the axis have to cap in a circle to get to it.

Overall, the map was like a welcomed new playground as it plays a lot different to other maps. The average engagement distance seemed a lot further and perhaps closer to real life which was good. I don't think i had any real issues there might have been some plants that I couldn't pass through and a fallen factory door that I couldnt run on top of but nothing major and the new colour seen in the pictures looks a lot better. Here is a shot from yesterday on cat in the hats server, I think it almost filled up but we should see it full tonight.

98A5A7EBDBB67A161B8EACC60384AFB8C7B020CB

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yesterday I had the luck to play the map twice on a packed TWI Custom map server.
I did not hear any complain about the direction of the attack. Off course I heard numereous complains about the bloody color which by now is mentioned enough.

Like any new map you have to learn your way around. Spartanovka, Red Oktober and almost all others except Grainelevator is one straight line forward. You spawn and run forward. But like real life an attack can move to a direction with tactical more valuable objects. And remember when you spawn you always face the direction you must run.

It was your first game on the map. So not a real weird thing you had to seek your directions. My advice is take time to learn your way around.
As with a few games you'll know where to go.

To come back to yesterdays matches on the TWI devserver. I enjoyed it.
Seen a lot of famliar names who knew where to go. Both got won by Russians. This might be caused by worse Axis commander ;) who had to fight a famous Russian Commander ;)

I only noticed one guy who discovered there ain't spawnprotection for a certain Allies spawn. He got killed by Commander Drecks.

Now working on a solution to my spawnprotectionproblem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The direction of the attacks are just fine. It gives both the attackers and defenders options on how to play, and a variety that just can't be found on a straight forward attack and defend. It requires at least a few players on each side to be thinking in order to have a chance to win.

Exactly! Coldsteel plays GREAT.

Upvote 0
First of all: Thanks to Drecks for making this wonderful map and also Thanks to Cat_in_the_hat for hosting it on his server.

Yesterday, I had the pleasure to play Coldsteel on Cat's server with a total of 36 players. It was great! A really nice map, performance is awesome (70+ fps all the time, everything maxed).

2 issues I found:

1. For the German team it was very hard to capture C (failed all the time). I don't know why yet, but both rounds ended after B was captured.

2. Some of the upper windows do not allow MGs to deploy. Well, you can deploy the gun, but the barrel is facing the wall under the window, meaning, you cannot shoot out of it, making the deployment of the MGs useless.

Thanks Drecks for this beautiful masterpiece!

Upvote 0
------ snip ------
I would, however, consider adding some more cover between A and D so that the Russians can't shoot straight across into the German spawn.

Oh please, leave the area of the 1st cap as it is..... the challenge is great and success is delicious. Sure its difficult, often appearing to be impossible but the truth is, it can be done and if anyone were to ask Coldsteel veterans, they'd say the Germans break through quite often.

Coldsteel offers unique gameplay that is outstanding. Watering it down to make it easier would only RUIN the unique charm and gameplay this map has to offer.

Coldsteel's high re-playability factor is due to the challenging gameplay.

Upvote 0
Nightingale is referring to another area. Its the area where Germans spawn close to the Distribution Area 4. Allies can shoot from that tunnel to Spawn area. Not real hard to fix.

I have added some barbwire and closed some doors to close down areas at match start so Axis won't walk around the entire map. And can't reach Allied Spawn. I used a toggle node with RO obstacle meshes. When Axis capture the 2th objective the trigger works and these obtacles are removed and doors are opened.

I will try iff I can combine this with that random artillery you'll see in Grainelevator. This will give the feeling that the stuff was removerd ore opened by artillery.

Thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
I will try iff I can combine this with that random artillery you'll see in Grainelevator. This will give the feeling that the stuff was removerd ore opened by artillery.

If you work out how to add that, assuming you do still see explosions, could you post a 'how to' in the main level design forum? ;)

I aint got around to looking into that yet...

Upvote 0
It works. At map start the large factory where objective 4 & 5 are situated is closed down by obstacles like barbwire,doors and corrugated plates.
This to prevend Axis to walkaround not focus on attack and they can't reach Allied spawnarea without bumoing into Russians.

When Axis have captured the 2th objective an artillery barrage is called in and drops on the barb wire and other obstacle and they will be gone.

A little movie to show and it still needs tweaking.

artillery - YouTube

Upvote 0