• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]TE-Coldsteel

Keep in mind that this map since its first release on 23 february have only seen ONE real game with humans....

All the time I fooled around with Fritz and Ivan. Where are Olga and Natasja when you need them
So better said it was never been tested. So things might feel a little bit unbalanced, weird and different.
People need to know routes and choke point, but no doubt it need changes here and there.

I already noticed some annoying stuff :) But first I'm gonna enjoy the fact I can play it with humans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Finally got the chance to try this map, and with 64 players :IS2:

It's now my favourite map of RO2, beats even Mamayev Kurgan IMHO, but I think it could be even better, so I have some suggestions:

-The objectives are kinda too large. Most of them could be split into smaller objectives. that way we would get more intense firefights and we would fight more for each piece of ground we take. At the moment we spend too much time on a corner capturing it instead of fighting for it.

-The Deadly Crossing could be way deadlier, giving the Russians some HMGs and less exposed advantage points. It should be the hardest objective of the map for the Germans.

-The map is too easy for the Germans (at least with 64 players). I've played like four rounds there and the Germans won all of them with more than 10min left. With smaller objectives it could be more balanced, but I think some other floors could be added to some objectives. Some broken second floors, like in StalingradKessel in RO1 or Zab's House in RO2 Pavlov. That would give the map a rat war feel, with the Russians using more "gangster tactics".

-There should be some ways that should be a meatgrinder for the Germans, but other easier ways that could be opened by engineers, again like StalingradKessel. This way the engineers would play a vital role in the map.

-This might need some serious testing, but when TWI gives us the T70 and the PzIII those tanks could be added to the map. One for each team or maybe just one PzIII for the Germans.

What do you guys think and what do you think Drecks? :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I honestly think that the map is just big and it confuses the new players (defenders) and they really don't know how to spread out and hold the flanks etc.

If it seems to be too easy for the Germans, then perhaps increase spawn times by maybe 5 seconds just to slow them down. Nothing drastic till there is much more play time.

Great optimization as always, official quality for sure. I like the new objective layout, really interesting. Look forward to playing ColdSteel more!

Upvote 0
I honestly think that the map is just big and it confuses the new players (defenders) and they really don't know how to spread out and hold the flanks etc.

If it seems to be too easy for the Germans, then perhaps increase spawn times by maybe 5 seconds just to slow them down. Nothing drastic till there is much more play time.

Great optimization as always, official quality for sure. I like the new objective layout, really interesting. Look forward to playing ColdSteel more!
My suggestions are not just for the sake of balance, but for an overall improvement. I'm not a fan of huge objectives that cover several rooms. It makes the fighting too unfocused. Moreover, this kind of objective provides the usage of that common practice of hiding in the corner of a room to capture it. I don't really like that. Splitting some of those objectives itno smaller ones would probably make the fighting much more centered and intense.

Upvote 0
I must have downloaded a bad file in the redirect. I've experience t crashes in less than a min of playing. I tried going into my Files to find the ones I downloaded to delete and manual download and install but since I haven't actually done this yet for RO2, I couldn't locate them. The other question would be, where do I extract the download to in the RO folder?

Upvote 0
I must have downloaded a bad file in the redirect. I've experience t crashes in less than a min of playing. I tried going into my Files to find the ones I downloaded to delete and manual download and install but since I haven't actually done this yet for RO2, I couldn't locate them. The other question would be, where do I extract the download to in the RO folder?

They might have been in some cache folder under a different name, like the old ROOST cache system. Not too sure myself.

As far as extracting them, just follow the folders in the red orchestra 2 folders in Steam. CookedPC etc etc. They are set up pretty simple in the download.

-----------------

Great round Allies won with a tough defense. We were pushed back towards the last few objectives, but kept counterattacking and taking back some areas. Very intense and very back and forth battle.

Upvote 0

I experienced this also..I verified my cache in steam and it told me 3 files had been corrupted from steam..once they were downloaded again it was fine.
Hope this helps?

Upvote 0
Great round Allies won with a tough defense. We were pushed back towards the last few objectives, but kept counterattacking and taking back some areas. Very intense and very back and forth battle.

That was a hard earned victory. With an Allied team who decided to fight for these objective.

Some of my own observations/feedback on the gameplay.

1st objective

I was suprised that there never was a real fight for the first objective.
Axis got that in less then a minute. Now it could be not all Allies went to defend but I noticed some Allies just decided to do some sightseeing, probably searching for foood or vodka. A solution might be a 1 time forward span for Allies.

2th objective

I really thought Axis would have a harder fight to get this one. But the fights I had it was lost easy. Now again this could be caused by Allies decided not to defend it inside the capzone but I need more feedback on this one.

3rd objective

As Nezzer noticed the fight for the Deadly Alley could need more attention. Now it don't get a real fight. I think Axis benefite for having more positions covering that area. For Allied loosing this one means they are pushed back
That area could need some better Allied defensive positions.
I might add some small building in there.

4th and 5th and 6th objective

I think for now the best Allies can do is to focus on the large 4th objective (the Stripping hall) There is where they win or loose the battle. The 5th objective Distribution area 4 is great to devide the Axis so a small number of players can annoy the Germans by defend or attack it but the Allies main focus must be 4th objective the Stripping Hall.
Once both are lost just defend the 6th objective the Storage area and try to get back the 4th Objective.

========================================================

I like Nezzer's input on destroyable doors. Right now the map have two of them but they won't show on the overhead map. Adding a whole defense line with these to stop Axis would need some changes as Allies would need to leave that area to defend. Now they use the doors.
To devide the excising objectives into smaller would need lots of work and testing. I would prefer more to see where gameplay heads with this layout and tweak this to an enjoyable gameplay for both teams.
Funny thing to tell is that I only tested this with bots in realism. Playing this in Classic make me feel like I
was running with glue boots. The time it took to get somewhere :)

But feedback and ideas are very welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some of my own observations/feedback on the gameplay.

1st objective

I was suprised that there never was a real fight for the first objective.
Axis got that in less then a minute. Now it could be not all Allies went to defend but I noticed some Allies just decided to do some sightseeing, probably searching for foood or vodka. A solution might be a 1 time forward span for Allies....

I think a one time forward spawn for the allies would really help. I managed to run like hell to get there from our spawn and I was in front of everyone and still the Germans had more players in the objective when I arrived. Managed to kill a few before it was overrun. Then the spawn warning came up (a short one) and I had to try and retreat as fast as I could before blowing up. I made a perfect target with my back turned to the enemy, and as I was hitting the 'Taunt' button over and over, running like mad, I was shot in the back :D

The point is, your suggestion for the forward spawn would really help slow things down for the first two objectives in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's still not deadly enough :p

But as the German team, its nice and actually feels like an accomplishment when you do cross and capture it.

Besides, I have never been one that thinks you need to add stuff to just fill space (so COD'ish). Right now the area looks very natural. There is some cover, shell holes, a trench running almost running the entire length, and plenty of upper windows that overlook the area for the German team to fire from. The whole area can also be flanked if the German side half tries and as a last resort it can always be smoked.

Drecks, don't go the route of adding more stuff "just because" so that its easier for the German side.

Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
i added the following text

[TE-Coldsteel_beta_6 ROUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
MapName=TE-Coldsteel_beta_6
FriendlyName=ColdSteel
GameType=ROGame.ROGameInfoTerritories
PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:ui_textures.menus.HostGame.MapSelect_Community>
Description=ColdSteel
LoadMapMovie=
MapType16=ROMT_InfantryOnly
MapType32=ROMT_InfantryOnly
MapType64=ROMT_InfantryOnly

[TE-Coldsteel_beta_6 ROUIDataProvider_WorldInfo]
MapName=TE-Coldsteel_beta_6
FriendlyName=ColdSteel
PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:ui_textures.menus.HostGame.MapSelect_Community>
Description=ColdSteel

to the bottom of my ROGame.ini file, the map works and loads if somebody has already downloaded it, but people are having problems downloading it directly from my server. Does anyone know how to fix this please? thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. have you put in the correct redirect site in your ROEngine.ini..something like below?

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://www.My-RO2-Redirect.com/RO2Maps/

2. Have you made sure that the redirect works by testing the download yourself?

3. Are the files on the redirect correct i.e. the player files not server files?

ok, i didn't add a redirect, would someone please explain to me how to do that ? :(

Upvote 0
But as the German team, its nice and actually feels like an accomplishment when you do cross and capture it.

Besides, I have never been one that thinks you need to add stuff to just fill space (so COD'ish). Right now the area looks very natural. There is some cover, shell holes, a trench running almost running the entire length, and plenty of upper windows that overlook the area for the German team to fire from. The whole area can also be flanked if the German side half tries and as a last resort it can always be smoked.

Drecks, don't go the route of adding more stuff "just because" so that its easier for the German side.
I don't think more cover should be added. It like how open the crossing is, but its not really deadly enough, like I've already said. The Russians should eb given more advantage there, with a HMG perhaps and more fortified positions. That objective should be the toughest part of the map for the Germans. The map as a whole is still too easy for the Germans.

Upvote 0