• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Ogledow

Ogie Oglethorpe?

Ogie Oglethorpe?

My intent is to bring Ogledow into RO2, not invent a new map, so I will not be changing stuff like the town, farm or ruins layout or the terrain mesh.

Stuff I have thought about in no particular order, and before I've finished my first cup of coffee this morning:

Once I figure out the squad system, setting minimums so that the first infantry squad must be filled before the second becomes available, so we have mostly rifles before we get a second MG or marksman.

Converting the existing buildings (which are made in BSP) to static meshes and making parts of them destroyable. (Yes, I know the roof and wood textures aren't right)

Wooden fences will be destroyable.

Mantling will be added.

Foliage will be affected by wind and player movement, so you should be able to spot infantry moving through the hedgerows.

I forgot to put the ladders in the barns. They'll be back.

Sound triggers for more creaking boards and dust falling when walking in barn lofts.

Sound triggers to make birds stop singing and crickets go silent when you go near them, then to resume when you leave.

If I can do it without hitting fps performance, adding a few small copses of trees for cover and concealment.

Would you like any feed-back?
p.s. How large (in UU's) is the map?

Of course, feedback is welcome.

The playable area of the map measures 31600 uu x 27240 uu. At 50 uu/m that is about 632 m x 545 m.

(In comparison, Spartanovka measures 21200 uu x 13600 uu, or about 424 m x 272 m.)

There seems to be no folder structure so i am goign to stick both the *.roe and the *.upk in that folder on the server.

Maybe I need to put the assets into the map folder before cooking. Anyone know?

I ported a fair few RO maps so they would work in DH. Didn't need to do anything special to get the mantling working for those converts.

As far as I know DH used a different system for mantling. In RO2 it is set up through the Actor -- Covernode. I tested a couple of them and am figuring out how to use them. I want to get the simple stuff done right and working, then add the fancy things when we know the basics are solid.

Was it easy to convert Ogledow over to RO2 ?

No, but as you can see, not impossible. I'll make a thread describing the basic process and tools needed. In a nutshell, RO2 uses differnt code, so you have to strip that out of the map, then extract all the assets to RO2's format, then scale all the meshes and terrain by .8285, rewrite all the shaders, recreate and reassign all the materials to the statics, etc.

1. where's my clown car?
2. where's my :IS2: ? :(

I hear you, brother. The original battle was fought between Tiger and IS2. Also we need someone to recode the Panzerfaust for RO2.

Play the map with bots. The result is HILARIOUS. :D

How does one add ai bots to games opened up from the console?

I'd like to know this too. Can someone tell us please how to add playable bots?

I get this error when trying to start with the maps in the cookedpcserver folder

[0000.11] Error: Error, Ambiguous package name: Using 'C:\UserFiles\MattB\179\ROGame\CookedPCServer\custom\GBS-Ogledow.upk', not 'C:\UserFiles\MattB\179\ROGame\CookedPCServer\GBS-Ogledow.upk'

That means you have two copies of the file being seen by the engine, and it is saying it will choose the one in the Custom folder. Move the one you don't want used out of the RO file structure.

The map works but the sound of the cricket is too high :p:)

What grid coordinates? There are about 5 different ambient crickets around the map.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apos and r5cya
Upvote 0
:(

The ranking system will really bug us if we need to pay a penalty for adding maps

I've just decided to ignore ranking and play RO the way I have since the start: for fun. I know it is important to some so I won't knock them for it, I personally won't avoid an unranked server if it is running fun maps with good players.

Reactions: r5cya and clambo
Upvote 0
I've just decided to ignore ranking and play RO the way I have since the start: for fun. I know it is important to some so I won't knock them for it, I personally won't avoid an unranked server if it is running fun maps with good players.

I agree with you, but an unranked server mostly ends up empty.
Oops... our server is currently empty with being ranked too. Maybe we will get more players if we host your new map ;)

Upvote 0
Ducky, any details on how to get this map working on a server?

Not much so far. As far as I know should both the *.roe and the *.upk file be placed in the cookedpcserver folder. At least that is what I made out from Cat_in_da_Hat posts in this thread.

I can give more details as soon as it's uploaded and the server is running.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awesome stuff! Now we just need those HTs :IS2: :D

p.s. You should add the DL link and introduction to the the OP :)

Here's the link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17291871/TE-Ogledow_B1.zip

The zip file is 67.5 MB

Extract the zip file with folder structure, to play I put it in my main RO2 directory (it starts with CookedPC) The "Custom" folder has a file that is static meshes and materials, the Maps/Ogledow_B1 folder contains TE-Ogledow_B1.roe, the map itself.

Once you put it in the correct location, run RO2 and at the main menu (not the browsers or anything) open console with tilde key, type

Open TE-Ogledow_B1

(note the hyphen at the start and underline at end)

That will let you play it solo. There are enough roles for at least 32 players, and I think more. There are no bots, no pathing or anything, this will just allow you to run around the map.

What I'm really looking to see is whether it works in multiplayer. I don't know anything about multiplayer server setup, so if any admins want to give it a shot I'd be happy to see it on a full server.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0