• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Omaha beach map project need help!!

To give map to look more tasty,you can add dead bodies like static meshes,that players can feel D-Day and atmosphere,exactly you should add test version for balance on some servers,because beach should be like other point.
On example: US Marines have lost a lot of people during the beach and bunkers,so we must see that in the game.
On example:US have 500 tickets,but after point A on the beach they have lost 300 tickets.

Upvote 0
North,im not enough good to make these things but i will try,im working to make this map unforgivable :D, for this reason i will catch every words like hint.
after working on other models,i decided to make a final version ,added more obstacles,reworked hills (like dog green sector),added 2 lines of blocking barbed wire (destructibles) added artillery holes (i can imagine the beach would like this after aerial bombing,naval and german artillery),so you can now chose from where to pass. The allies now will have 3 way to go on top of hills (for tecnical reason it will be impossible to manage a 500 metres assault out from beach),but there on top will be destructible barbed wire and zig zag trenches. i will work to add bunkers (3-4 types,like tobruk type,enormous philbox like real ones,with interior,exactly like real ones,ladders and maybe escaping tunnels)so people with flametrower will have theyr work too hihihih . but i need some help!! dont know how to set spawn time,reinforcements,static mg,ammunitions,sounds ;(
apart this,enjoy the screens and tell me what you think

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd make every barbed wire destructable so the allies can breach where they want/feel that the defense is weak. The "from-beginning" breaches should be in the direct fireline of the MGs or just damn hard to get through alive.
I'd also make the barbed wire from the 2nd Obj (see attachments) in 3 full lines (so you can't just walk through each of them like on the IwoJima map from TWI) except in craters or on the edge of them, but there should always be atleast 1 line that has to be destroyed before you can breach.

I also have a question, are these (coool looking :)) pillboxes from your screenshot located near Obj X or near Obj 4 and 5?

For questions how to do things in the UDK you should PM other mapper, because I have no clue :)

and I agree with NorthDumpling, you should add dead allies in the first obj (there is no breach so don't put dead allies behind the first line of barbed wire. Oh and a few dead Germans near the craters (not on the beach ofc).
I'd say 1200- allies, 400 - axis and the time + 1h but it really depends how the map turns out to be when it's done and tested with 64p

Attachments

• wreewrewrwerrewwreewr.jpg
    wreewrewrwerrewwreewr.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1
  • rttrzrtz.jpg
    rttrzrtz.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Upvote 0
the allies have no safe point when starting (they will start 20 30 metres from beach on the water) only safe points are craters and the connection to water-beach, than you have to run as i sayd on craters or behind the see wall (closed with barbed wire destructible,so if an enginer dont arrive there,it will be really hard to open a breach from craters) without static mg will be enough easy to cross the beach (not really but easier), i tryed to follow the guide but its not working.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the allies have no safe point when starting (they will start 20 30 metres from beach on the water) only safe points are craters and the connection to water-beach, than you have to run as i sayd on craters or behind the see wall (closed with barbed wire destructible,so if an enginer dont arrive there,it will be really hard to open a breach from craters) without static mg will be enough easy to cross the beach (not really but easier), i tryed to follow the guide but its not working.
It should be very hard :)
it also worked in the DH map.

RO2s fast sprinting + the increased stamina will make it even more easy.
I think maps like this or Berlin/.. shouldn't be balanced in the "everyone has in average the same kill-to-death-ratio", on both teams.
It ruins the immersion. I really think (I bring it up another time :D)that the Russians are suffering more on Commissars house or Red October factory than the Americans on Iwo, although they should have a god damn hard time! Besides the normal "attackers don't survive longer than defender" factor, it's one of the easy maps for the USMC, rather a challange for the IJA.
Just make it horrible (like it was IRL) for the Allies on the beach and give them a few crater, "sandwalls" (that stuff where the barbed wire is placed on..in the DH videos), lots of artillery support and alot of time! ...and ofc unlimited reinfs.

I'd place some wrecked landing crafts in the water (or make a big crater where you can't be shot at when spawning) (currently a USMC LC from the pacific should be enough) and put the spawn behind them.. or if you can.. make them drivable! But I guess that won't happen.
I wouldn't recommend the "spawn in line of fire" thing because the soldiers are invulnerable for quite some time after they spawned..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
its not a direct fireline,you have to think that the axis gotta take position when "invasion" start,so they allies take this small windows to reach the first cover in beach.
They were in position when the first LZs arrived, because no one can hide giant battleships and a whole invasion fleet, they got spotted miles before they reached the beach :)
"As the boats approached within a few hundred yards of the shore, they came under increasingly heavy fire from automatic weapons and artillery. The force discovered only then the ineffectiveness of the pre-landing bombardment."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_Beach

someone help me placing fixed mggggssssss
You should PM danh or some other good map maker.

2pics that might help, notice how huge the beach is compared to the cars.

Attachments

• Omaha_Beach_American_Casualty.jpg
    Omaha_Beach_American_Casualty.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Omaha_Beach_Nowadays.jpg
    Omaha_Beach_Nowadays.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the USMC LCs from Rising Storm could fill that purpose in the beginning, I'm sure someone will atleast make a static mesh when this map gets into alpha :)
and you can still use the "big crater -> allies spawn below the LOF" idea

and ofc.. please make the barbed wire in a full line. If you don't want everything to be destructable make zones, but please ...don't make it a simple "zick-zack and you passed this deadly obstacle!" like TWI did it on IwoJima. Nobody placed BW like that IRL and if you think the balance will be broken add more reinfs and more time D:

Attachments

• 9ead595c9d3aeed4212d0c9cf64b78ed.jpg
    9ead595c9d3aeed4212d0c9cf64b78ed.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 0
  • dfgdfg.jpg
    dfgdfg.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
other updates :)
map is nearby ready for alpha test (maybe without fixed mg34,and objectives, just a beach landing shooting to everybody to see if everything works well)

added first bunkers, (i will add pillboxes and other ones and than the map is ready for alpha) added cement walls (maybe too much?? please i need public opinion for these things. Its ok or its too much scenic?[wall is destructible]) and added barbed wire for beach entrances, later i will build lights place grass and change some terrain textures :D

anyway,leave your opinion of what you think,i gotta know if the players will like it!! Thanks for watching

P.s

pic 4 and 5 show where the fixed mg34 will be,im thinking to add 4 of that (but dont know how..)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this map looks really good!
looking forward to play it :3
but is there a certain reason why you don't make the 2nd obstacle line (3x barbed wire to cross) "closed" like I painted it in the attachment?
The wall looks as if it was made of stone, is that on purpose? I'd also make craters/destroyed walls where the breaches should be, because it doesn't make sense if someone makes a defense wall that has openings, atleast not if that wall is facing a see.

btw Do I have your permission to make a Steam Hub Thread with the screenshots attached to collect some feedback?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
mmmm,it will be really hard to destroy the zig zag fence line because it is completely under enemy fireline, i will make 2 version to try,one with zigzag other with closed and destructible.
The stonewalls purpose is to create a bottle neck to have less territories to cover,but i will build 2 version of this too,one with and one without.. :)
yes sure you can make the thread,feedbacks are important. i added you on steam so i can send you screenshot when i make map updates :p

Upvote 0