• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design My pylons are buggin'

Catalavos

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I had a beautiful pylons up until last night when I moved a bunch of static meshes. I did a "build all" and now there are random "holes" where some paths were not built. I made sure that all the pylons were not "bad size" and re-built again but still have places where paths were not built. Any ideas or should I just nuke all the pylons and start from scratch?

Pylons are very sensitive to this kind of stuff. I had this problem as well.
Also I noticed that sometimes it shows bad size but the nav mesh is actually correctly generated.

Anyway I'd make sure that all the pylons are correctly set on the ground (raise them over the ground and hit end, it will put them on the ground again)

Then rebuild everything again and check your nav mesh

Upvote 0
had another crazy thing happen right after I posted this message.

I had to re-start my computer because of a software update. After it re-started I opened my map. When the map opened, all of the paths were showing up properly (as green when "P" was pressed). I thought I had the problem fixed. Then I opened the PIE and had the "paths must be rebuilt" message. So I exited the PIE and re-built the whole works. All the pylon problems were back so I re-positioned all the "bad size" pylons again, re-built, and had the same thing happen again.

Then I tried to re-trace my steps back to when the problem initially started. As I said before, I didn't have any problems until I moved a bunch of static meshes (fences and houses) but I think that the way I moved them caused the problem. I had to move a lot of stuff so I went to the top-left window (can't remember what this is called) and did a ctrl-alt and selected pretty much half the map and moved it, then did that 2 more times (had to widen a few streets). When I did this, I forgot about the pylons and they got moved, too. So I put the pylons back where they were supposed to be and ever since they've been acting funny.

So now I'm wondering if you need to do work on the pylons in a particular view in order for the changes to stick. Kind of how you can only delete BSP's in wireframe mode.

I'm probably just going to nuke all the pylons and start from scratch as adding them in is only going to take about 10 minutes. But I'm going to try any suggestions first as a learning experience.

Which leads me to another question. In this post ([url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=74003[/URL])
[TW]Swag talks about NavMeshExpansion Volumes, how do I work with these?

Upvote 0