• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [MAP-WIP] Novoya Forest

My skybox doesn't have a "lighting" group in its properties... is this normal?

I'm an idiot.

Hey now! Show me 1 person that started mapping new and didn't make mistakes? I've been mapping over 13 years now, and do them regularly. so no worries mate ;)

You're doing great job so far. keep going, i really want to see how this ends up :D

Here is what i have for my skybox.

Attachments

• skshot.jpg
    skshot.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
So, uh, I guess no one knows how to get the trees to look all white instead of having those super dark shadows? :confused: Rebuilding the lighting doesn't work this time.

Also, minor minor update. It's hardly any progress at all, since I decided to re-do a large chunk of the terrain work; this is just for those people like me, who like to look at new things no matter how insignificant they are.

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, uh, I guess no one knows how to get the trees to look all white instead of having those super dark shadows? :confused: Rebuilding the lighting doesn't work this time.

Also, minor minor update. It's hardly any progress at all, since I decided to re-do a large chunk of the terrain work; this is just for those people like me, who like to look at new things no matter how insignificant they are.=QUOTE]

Hi Nightingale, looking good man!

I haven't had a chance to have a good look through this thread yet but I just wanted to say I have my tree branch material set to NonDirectional. Try that if you haven't already. I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do but it seems to work for me.

It's a pretty basic material setup too. No normal maps etc.

Harley_TreeBranch.jpg

Upvote 0
Ah, so that's what that menu does. Thanks, Harley. :)

Using the MLM_NonDirectional helped a little bit, but the parts which did not face the light are still showing up black, so I decided to just fudge the whole thing and add an emissive component to the tree leaf material. Now they look passable.

Spoiler!

By the way, what do you guys think of the atmosphere? Too desaturated? Too foggy? I'm happy with the simple colour scheme, but I'm not sure if such a dense fog would be annoying to play in. Oh well, I'll know when I release a beta.

So I have a few questions about lighting. Firstly, would there be any performance issues if I used multiple dominant directional lights to reduce the intensity of shadows in either direction? Secondly, I also want to make the shadows in my map very diffuse (almost non-existent) to go with the cloudy atmosphere. Is there a way to do this easily with the dominant directional light?

Upvote 0
Took a break from working on Novoya to see whether or not Tripwire would turn their game around, and it looks like they actually might so here I am again.

Nothing interesting to post screens of (just expanded the trenches more), so I just have a question to either a TWI mapper or other experienced mapper:

1.) Which static mesh are these wooden steps? (sorry for the dark picture)
Spoiler!

2.) What is the best way to go about creating these kinds of terrain features, if I don't want the walls to be in-line with the terrain grid?
Spoiler!

Upvote 0