• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [MAP-WIP] Novoya Forest

Yes, those. Might you now what is causing them to look like that?

I had that problem when I was making Gazala Line for MN and it stumped me for more than a month, couldn't get anyone to give me a clue how to fix it. I literally spent 15-20 hours on that problem alone, testing and researching. It was extremely frustrating to have to spend so much time on what ended up being a more minor fix.

Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I did to mostly remedy the situation. If I do, I will let you know, or maybe someone else will know right away.

Upvote 0
I realized that, due to the unique properties of the trench meshes, you need to use a very particular material with them or else you get weird looking stuff when you build the lighting. I'm not nearly experienced enough to make my own trench materials, so I opted to use the dirt ones. I chose dirt over the dirty ice as in Mamayev, because Novoya is set during early spring, where the snow is beginning to melt.

I mixed up a snow on dead grass texture and added a few splotches onto the terrain. I still have to alter the snow material to match the texture I made, but I think the transition is pretty good. I don't know if I like it or not. What do you guys think?

Spoiler!

I tried using the dirt material provided to smooth out the transition from snow to dirt, but for some reason when I paint it onto the terrain, this happens (refer to picture below). I'm pretty sure that the snow and dead grass material does not align to the terrain grid, so why the dirt material does this is a mystery to me. What exactly is causing this to happen? :confused:
Spoiler!

I realise that this is WIP. but i've got a question to ask about the screenies, it looks like a misty/foggy setting in a forest but why are there dark shadows under the trees as if it was a bright sunny day?

Upvote 0
I've actually been meaning to try and make the shadows very faint and diffuse, but I have not yet quite figured out how to do that wih the dominant directional light source. Thanks for noticing and pointing that out, though. :)

Couldn't you just lower the brightness on the light source and increase the general map brightness? It should make the shadows less harsh. (I'm going off my memory of the older editor)

Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me if the RO2 SDK supports cull distances on its decolayers? I can't seem to find anything of the sort under the properties dialog. But then again, it's a bit early for me to be doing optimization.

I used this tutorial and used a foliage layer for the grass. You can set all kind of variables like max draw radius for what distance the foliage meshes should start disappearing, for perfomance reasons.

Upvote 0
It looks like it is impossible to change the cull distance of the deco layer, and it is also impossible to have a colliding foliage layer, so I am forced to use the static mesh tool to place all the trees by hand (that's a lot of clicking!) I've placed 950 or so trees, and I have a few things I can't seem to get right with them.

1.) How can I place the trees so that they vary in size, but point straight up rather than aligning with the slope of the terrain?
2.) I have a problem where the leaves of the tree cause the player to lower his gun much like a wall would. Setting the tree's collision to "block all but weapons" seems to work best, but now the trunk fails to collide with the player's weapon. It also no longer creates bullet holes when shot at. The problem, I think, is that the editor is ignoring the collision I provided for the trunk, and is using the entire mesh to block weapons. How can I restrict all collisions to just the collision cylinder at the center of the tree?
3.) Is placing them all by hand my only choice now, if I want both culling and collisions?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, grouping them will not work in my case because my terrain is very uneven. Thanks for the suggestion though; that will be useful if I try my hand at a flat map.

It's kind of amazing how it is impossible for the SDK to place meshes of varying angles/sizes onto a grid while simultaneously allowing the meshes to have both collisions and shadow falloffs. I looked at the new foliage tool on the newer UDK version, and I really wish we had something like that to use here. Oh well, enough complaining. It's clicking time.

Could anyone answer my question about the collisions, though? That is not something I can get around by clicking 3000 times.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, grouping them will not work in my case because my terrain is very uneven. Thanks for the suggestion though; that will be useful if I try my hand at a flat map.

There is a hotkey (I forget which atm) for this. I used the method in Ogledow.

Place a group of grasses,
hide the terrain,
select them all,
show the terrain,
move to a different area,
Paste,
raise them above terrain,
hit the key and they all drop to the terrain level (even on hills and valleys).

Last edited:
Upvote 0