Forum Rules

• Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

[MAP-WIP] Novoya Forest

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Moe on the desaturation front. Maybe a variation ground texture or two would look nice too.

Probably not a good idea to have 2 directional lights, might get pretty pricey. As for the shadow darkness here's a good tut using world properties to lighten them up.
    Custom Map - [URL=""]Bridges of Druzhina[/URL]

Took a break from working on Novoya to see whether or not Tripwire would turn their game around, and it looks like they actually might so here I am again.

Nothing interesting to post screens of (just expanded the trenches more), so I just have a question to either a TWI mapper or other experienced mapper:

1.) Which static mesh are these wooden steps? (sorry for the dark picture)

2.) What is the best way to go about creating these kinds of terrain features, if I don't want the walls to be in-line with the terrain grid?

1.) Which static mesh are these wooden steps? (sorry for the dark picture)
        To find the static mesh in the editor right click on it and pick "find in contentbrowser" You will brought immidiatly to the static mesh in the content browser.

Unfortunately, I can't actually look at Mamayev because the SDK crashes when I try to open it. The best I can do is observe it in the beta.

What exactly do you guys mean here ?

Might be multiple terrains.

Originally posted by Catalavos View Post
                I've been wondering about this as well. I tried using the "angle" setting with the "flatten" tool but if I remember correctly the max. angle you can set is 45 deg.
                You have to make a "skirt" mesh to be used with the wall.
                #1 Bonzai charger

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
                  You have to make a "skirt" mesh to be used with the wall.
                  He is correct. The terrain patches just in front of the wall have been deVis'd and a "cap" was put over the gap in the terrain.

Trenches is looking very intreasting! Keep up the good work!
                    [QUOTE=Fedorov;956796]Genuine fun > grind.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I feared that that would be the case. I don't have any modelling experience, so I think I might use create multiple terrains and sculpt them to my liking and have them overlap/intersect the main terrain. Would it cause any problems for gameplay or performance if I did this? The characters would move smoothly over from one terrain to the other, right?

Also, for any that might be interested: I deleted all of the trenchwork I did. I felt that having a giant continuous network of deep trenches favoured the SMGs too much, and would leave little incentive for players to use the trees as cover. It also felt like the map resembled Mamayev greatly, as I had made a number of underground portions to the trenches.

Instead, I have decided that to make a large number of very small, shallow trenches, distributed haphazardly over the map. I hope that this will encourage a "Fallen Fighters" kind of gameplay, where everyone stays down for long periods of time and only rise up to fire. I've already gotten a fair amount of work done on these new trenches, but I'll post a pic later when I feel there is something important enough to share here.
                      Last edited by Nightingale; 05-04-2012, 08:57 PM.

I would strongly urge you not to use multiple terrains. The lighting system in RO2 is really heavy weight in regards to actual byte wise payload (++many megabytes per terrain). The fill rate for terrain is really high as-is since it occupies so much screen space. Multiple terrains will have a negative impact on the render thread multiplied times two. In a pinch, use BSP like we did. Requires very little modeling experience and it'll get you over the hill. The level designer that put that map together used an alternative material in that section that is shown earlier in the thread to pull off the blending. I salute his "sticktoitiveness" to successfully pull off the illusion.

Oh, I see. Thank you.

In that case, would you also recommend that I delete the facade ring I made, and just extend the main terrain in all directions to replace it? (refer to picture)

And here are some boring pics of not really much going on, if anyone wants to see. I have removed the skydome because it kept getting in the way of doing things.

Like Harley suggested, I'm trying to find a suitable terrain variation texture to put on this map, but none of the default assets seem to satisfy me. I'm likely to go into Photoshop and make a dirty-speckle overlay texture to use over the snow I already have.

I'm also trying to get some green back into the trees, to make it look as if it has been a few days since it last snowed, and there is only residual snow left on the tree pines. However, I am having a bit of trouble trying to accomplish this in the material editor. This is the best I got so far:

I want them to look like the trees in this video: FROSTBITE: Red Orchestra Skirmish - YouTube. Could anyone offer some advice on how to do this?

The cheapest and quickest way to do it would be in photoshop. Try adding some white (on a layer) to the tips of the branches first, test it in game and add more until it looks believable. It all hinges on how good your branch texture is to begin with though.
                            Custom Map - [URL=""]Bridges of Druzhina[/URL]

I'm pretty sure there's some good photoshop tut out there on how to make good looking snow overlays or something.

D'oh, I just remembered that you can export textures. Thanks guys.

EDIT: No, wait. Looks like I'm wrong. I'll go ask Wolvy if he can give me the source texture.

EDIT2: Goddamnit I am blind. Finally found the export button.
                                Last edited by Nightingale; 05-09-2012, 02:27 AM.