• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design TE-Singar

Looks nice! I know what map this is based on :) Probably should add some sandbags/cover for the gatehouse.
If you are up for redoing it to reincorporate scale, and streamline the recreation of this map you could screenshot a vertical viewpoint of the map, and then convert it to dimensions of powers of 2, and then import it as a .png. of course you'll need to figure out a scale from the texture that fits the actual size. (50x actual dimension size).

A few suggestions.
Nice utilization of BSP, however, BSP usually isn't designed for art assets, unless you need fill in a gap, or say the walls of a building. It looks bad if it's trying to represent complex geometry (even fences) and it is also less efficient than using a mesh in most cases.
So I'd probably remove the concrete fence on the second photo, and replace it with something else.
It'd probably be better to utilize meshes for those cliffs too!

Increase the tesselation of the terrain. At the moment, it doesn't look too natural, ie the pointed vertices.
Aesthetic suggestion, find a different, dark less "vibrant" grass.
(Maybe some bushes too?)
You can find more materials for terrain here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Red Orchestra 2\ROGame\BrewedPC\Packages\EnvironmentalMaterials

and here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Red Orchestra 2\ROGame\BrewedPC\Packages\Props_Static

and also here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Red Orchestra 2\ROGame\BrewedPC\RSGame\Packages\EnvironmentalMaterials

Upvote 0
Some Background

Some Background

Yeah of course.

The map is based upon the Insurgency [Half Life 2 engine] map 'Sinjar'. Insurgency is a modern project realism game and has the same gameplay style as RO. I used to play the game back when it was an incipient mod.

The map will be adapted from the rough scale of the original (with objectives remaining similar). No doubt this will change after some beta testing. Also Insurgency has slower movement speeds, lower fog visibility, greater accuracy, no arty etc. These factors have to be taken into account when mapping.

The scenario basically takes place after an ambush along a road running the length of the map. The main action takes place between a small village held by defenders and the attacking position beneath the cliffs. The attackers must move there way around the map by taking objectives along the hill.

I should state this is not based on a real life conflict.

Upvote 0
Oh god, this map.. at least the entire attacking team won't get rpg'ed coming out of spawn in RO2 lol

I feel this map would fit well in here. Although it'll be a massacre at the first objective, so definitely get some balancing going when you've got a good idea of the layout. I even feel like the two AA guns there should be destructible objectives.

That second objective should definitely be larger than the building it currently is in the standalone version of the game as well.

You don't need to implement artillery either (think Stalingrad Kessel) and it can just be aerial recon for each team.

Good luck with the project!!

Upvote 0