• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design WF-Falaise Gap

PoisonStrudel

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Hi all, so for my first map I'm tackling the battle of the Falaise Gap, or Falaise Pocket (whichever you prefer). While the map is not supposed to be any particular area, it draws inspiration from Soulangy, Trun, and Chambois. The gap saw fierce fighting that ultimately saw the annihilation of most of Army Group B West of the Seine, opening the road to Paris.

The map will feature the Waffen SS attempting to escape from the gap, but first they must get past fortified farmland as well as a small town being defended by US army troops (For now at least, if Canadians make it into the mod I'll change it to them). Germans will be equipped with 1 tank and a Hanomag to help them get across the heavily defended area.

No pics yet, the map is still going through intensive modifications (I get mad and scrap ideas), but I'll try and get some up as soon as possible. I'd also like to thank those who have helped me get this map going, you know who you are.

:cool:

This is certainly an aggressive undertaking. Falaise Gap was largely a mobile action. A fair number of vehicles should be involved, even for a company sized
chunk of it. The SS need to be represented in more than theory. Among other things, the 12SS PzD was virtually neutralized in this action with the final stand at a school house. M4s and/or M10 Wolverines are desperately needed for this one, even if they are only props.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

This is certainly an aggressive undertaking. Falaise Gap was largely a mobile action. A fair number of vehicles should be involved, even for a company sized
chunk of it. The SS need to be represented in more than theory. Among other things, the 12SS PzD was virtually neutralized in this action with the final stand at a school house. M4s and/or M10 Wolverines are desperately needed for this one, even if they are only props.
As Mosqueeto told me, The Heroes of the West don't want SS in their mod, for multiple reasons, one is to not attract neo-nazis, the other is because they wants germans to play the mod.

Upvote 0
The Heroes of the West don't want SS in their mod, for multiple reasons, one is to not attract neo-nazis, the other is because they wants germans to play the mod.

That's ridiculous, with all due respect, if you make a realistic accuracy of the battle, the SS should be there, in any case, would be lacking historical accuracy by removing the combat unit. besides, I do not think that "neo-Nazis" If they are so can be called, are looking for a game, especially a mod to kill inferior races, is nonsense to believe that, those who play this game is for fun between friends, nothing more.
this is my humble opinion, mates

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As Mosqueeto told me, The Heroes of the West don't want SS in their mod, for multiple reasons, one is to not attract neo-nazis, the other is because they wants germans to play the mod.

Hmm, I remember seeing an SS skin with pea dot camo that someone made, would it not be possible to use that skin and just remove the SS collar tabs?

Upvote 0
That's ridiculous, with all due respect, if you make a realistic accuracy of the battle, the SS should be there, in any case, would be lacking historical accuracy by removing the combat unit. besides, I do not think that "neo-Nazis" If they are so can be called, are looking for a game, especially a mod to kill inferior races, is nonsense to believe that, those who play this game is for fun between friends, nothing more.
this is my humble opinion, mates
I actually agree with you. I'm not in the Heroes of the West group. But I'm sure we can disccus with them so we can have SS. There is clearly a way to debate on that subject!
Hmm, I remember seeing an SS skin with pea dot camo that someone made, would it not be possible to use that skin and just remove the SS collar tabs?
People wants a realistic game. So I don't think so. The best is to proove Waffen-SS is important for the mod. Anyway, just the german soldiers are representing the Nazis...

Upvote 0
Enemy front got away with it. That game isn't politcally censored much at all it seems. Still got SS insignia everywhere deaths heads, runes and stuff. They did however censor the red swastika arm band by sticking in a cross rather than the swastika. But they got the SS murdering civilians in that game. Which you can buy in Germany. They are incredibly demonised though. Almost got a big red arrow pointing at each one saying "this is a bad guy". Even though you can play as them in multiplayer.

SS insignia as long as we don't have swastika's and other pro nazi things could actually happen. Only issue is that we don't flat out call them bad.

The SS insignia on that model is actually part of the gear. If you don't know character models are actually 4 models. The body, the head/hands, the gear, and the headwear. So the insignia isn't part of the body it's part of the gear. As it is in vannila RO2. I've changed around all the textures on that model to make it the Heer version with the eagle on the chest and made it an M42 tunic with the pleats removed and an extra button with an updated colour. So you'll see that uniform.

Upvote 0

before this effort breaks down into a pile of PC intellectual collapse, let me point out a few things that may help salvage the concept. There is a color map easily found on the web which highlights all of the participating divisions and their locations at the height of the battle. The vast majority of them are German Heer.
Pick a unit, and do some in depth research on small unit actions from US Army publications available in the Government Library section in most big city Libraries. Much of this is probably available on line by now. But the government library section is where I went to research the night battle of Caumont years ago. Barely a spark in history, but it was all there.

The largest problem involved might be the absence of a functional M4, but that can be dealt with. The availability of the bazooka would be stellar. The action should be set in the early evening or at night since that was the safest time for German vehicle movement. During the day, anything visible on a road was hit by Allied air and perished in short order.

Upvote 0