• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Custom Map Loading Movies

RandomPerson78642

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
USA
It's totally possible, for both official and custom maps. And it doesn't boot you out of online servers either!

A2252DDD457030F1932567B7B9650D4209217770

10E13DE4255F47A66F3BE59397C324998EED0849

Although for custom maps you'll have to edit GameInfo.ini, and to have custom tips you need to add them to ROMovies.int.

From what I heard is that they were planning to.
They even got a Japanese tank 80% done, but then ran out of time, which is a pretty lousy excuse.

The tank in the picture is a static mesh that I edited and imported.
I had just got the original picture and I was inspired. How to use SDK to make actors pose? Using skeletal meshes? Where to learn how to use that? Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what I heard is that they were planning to.
They even got a Japanese tank 80% done, but then ran out of time, which is a pretty lousy excuse.

80%??? Maybe if it wasn't for a retail product. Just chucking tanks into a map you end up in similar situation with transports being added into maps that don't need them, so either you'd build maps around the use of the tank which would take a lot more time to test and see if it's actually fun or you'd concentrate on infantry gameplay and chuck in the tanks at the end - ala RO2.

Given that the tank was far off completion and the schedule the team was on, the choice between releasing a game with solid infantry gameplay or something that doesn't know what it wants to be, I'd say they made the right choice. Sure, I'd like the tanks along with maps made for them and infantry but a lot more goes into making them up the standard expected.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have absolutely no idea how map distribution works, but to make a custom map have a load screen you need to add it's entry to ROGame.ini.

Example:
Code:
[RSTE-SubBase_B8 ROUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
MapName=RSTE-SubBase
FriendlyName=Sub Base
Description=test
PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:ui_textures.menus.HostGame.ui_hostgame_mapselect_Barracks>
GameType=RSGame.RSGameInfoTerritories
LoadMapMovie=LoadScreen_SubBase
MapTips=RSTESubbaseTip
MapType16=ROMT_InfantryOnly
MapType32=ROMT_InfantryOnly
MapType64=ROMT_InfantryOnly
Author=M Palko

And obviously to have a custom movie you need to make a .bik file.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have absolutely no idea how map distribution works, but to make a custom map have a load screen you need to add it's entry to ROGame.ini.

Example:
Code:
[RSTE-SubBase_B8 ROUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
MapName=RSTE-SubBase
FriendlyName=Sub Base
Description=test
PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:ui_textures.menus.HostGame.ui_hostgame_mapselect_Barracks>
GameType=RSGame.RSGameInfoTerritories
LoadMapMovie=LoadScreen_SubBase
MapTips=RSTESubbaseTip
MapType16=ROMT_InfantryOnly
MapType32=ROMT_InfantryOnly
MapType64=ROMT_InfantryOnly
Author=M Palko

And obviously to have a custom movie you need to make a .bik file.

I dont think SWS items are able to modify this file unfortuantely (IOM had same issue)

I suppose you could post the code in the map's thread along with the file if people wanted to tweak this on their own

...In fact I think I will try it!

Upvote 0
Thing is servers use that exact extract of code for maps as well. It's not a necessary strip of code but you do it for custom maps if you want them to show up on web admin. But you pretty much have everything at its defaults.

I was wondering if the client didn't have that code the client would use the servers if it had it so they would see the images. Maybe. I'm hoping that's how it works. As for IOM I dislike the fact that it overwrites my ROgame.ini file so I was hoping to avoid having a mod that did just that.

Upvote 0
I thought I read it on here before, but what do you use for .bik file creation?

Rad video tools from bink. Awful horrible program I don't understand why games still use bink when there are better and cheaper (For licensing) alternatives.

But I've also just noticed something with all the WF maps. They all have their own config files with this in it.

Code:
[WF-SaintAmand ROUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
MapName=WF-SaintAmand
FriendlyName=Saint Amand
GameType=WFGame.WFGameInfoTerritories
PreviewImageMarkup=
Description=
LoadMapMovie=
MapTips=
MapTips=
MapType16=ROMT_Infantryonly
MapType32=ROMT_Infantryonly
MapType64=ROMT_Infantryonly
Surely you can just stick everything in there.

Still have no clue what to put where. I can make a .bik file. But what do I make into a .bik file???

Last edited:
Upvote 0