• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Optimizing Map Performance

One thing that probably isn't my greatest strength when it comes to the SDK is optimizing a map performance wise, it's also the reason I shelved my first map which is done except it gets about like 2-10 fps... well that aside I'm working on several maps, and I'd like to know if anyone can help me out learning how to do this, I know some tricks but not enough.

Wrapping you level in one large Culling Distance Volume makes a HUGE difference on FPS and performance overall. There is a secrion on it in Stmrtn's link.

That's one thing I do know, I'm wondering about also optimizing BSP's, any tips or tricks to that, one of the levels I'm working is very BSP intensive. Like if I have a large area flat area, should I instead of using a large BSP make it into sections?

Upvote 0
You can convert BSP into a static mesh once you are absolutely finished with it. But make sure to save before doing this as there is no way to reverse it and it can produce screwy results. But having a good balance of cull distance in different areas is the most important thing for fps by far. If you have any terrains that have foliage added also be sure to set their cull distances separately as this isn't affected by cull distance volumes I don't think.

Upvote 0
You can convert BSP into a static mesh once you are absolutely finished with it. But make sure to save before doing this as there is no way to reverse it and it can produce screwy results. But having a good balance of cull distance in different areas is the most important thing for fps by far. If you have any terrains that have foliage added also be sure to set their cull distances separately as this isn't affected by cull distance volumes I don't think.

This can be very helpful, but the downside is you will lose collision. You can re add collision within the SDk, but anything beyond basic geometric shapes wont fly.

Upvote 0
You also can turn down the Shadow Map size. That helps to save massiv MB-Space on your map.

Select the Mesh, press f4, turn on "override lightmass index" and turn it down.
should be something like 64 or 32 standart. turn it down to 8, 4, 2.

Helped me on stalag 13 really much.

About this one iam not sure, but when you put holes on your map under buildings, where is no terrain needed, you also save lightmap mb size.

Upvote 0