• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Soundmod for guns?

It'd be more time consuming rather than hard, there's a lot of sounds to replace, not just the weapon fire sounds. There's Distant shots close and far, reverb outdoors close and far sounds, reverb for large indoors rooms, small rooms and medium sized rooms. If any of them don't match up with the weapon fire sound it wont sound right.

It'd be 95% faster to just beef up the sounds already in RO2. I had planned on doing this actually but unfortunatly, there seems to be the odd time when I've edited sounds and nothing seems to have changed in-game. I'd like to know what I've done wrong or if there are limitations to volumes or such. (Hint hint dev's ) :eek:

Upvote 0
I agree with OP's idea and opinion.
I would have done so myself if I still didn't use Windows Xp (Still going strong for over 10 years:D) and the SDK won't run it.

I know a lot of good weapon sounds for CSS that would go great with RO2. If either of you shoot for a total sound pack, I'd be more than happy to help with finding base sounds.

Upvote 0
While the base sounds of the gun in RO2 are perfect (the actual detonation, as well as any bolting sounds), they lack any good reverberation. RO1 had the gun make one sound, combining reverberation and the actual detonation. This cheap method led to overly powerful gun sounds, while the low volume of reverberation in RO2 has led to overly weak gun sounds.

If you replace the RO2 gun sounds with RO1 however, it will end up sounding quite odd, as you'd have 2 different qualities and volumes of reverberation.

But the main thing for me is bullet cracks. TWI has upped the volume etc etc and we appreciate it. But the sounds aren't right. They need changing. Listen to this for example: TvT Aliabad Region: Contact Front - YouTube (the sound mod used is JSRS, quite low quality but nails what I have heard in real life for many sounds)

That first bullet crack is a sound generated when the bullet reaches a plane spread out perpendicular to the players eye direction, each calibre has a different range of cracks, that change in volume due to their distance away from the player on said plane. A close bullet has a loud crack, a further away bullet has a lower echoing sound (closer to what we have in RO2 now). Each time a gun fires, you have the firing sound, environmental reverb and bullet crack. This makes firefights sound VERY epic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0