• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The RO2 "Work In Progress" Video/Image Thread - All Welcome!

RO2 Freeze Tag - WIP
I am currently messing about trying to create my favourite/fun game mode ever - FreezeTag!!

I got into gaming playing FreezeTag for UT99 and have had the most fun with this game mode in other games (Quake III, UT2004, UT3, and COD4).

I don't expect many RO2 peeps to play it as it's not "realism", but who cares ;)

What is FreezeTag? (for those who don't know):
FreezeTag is a round based tactical team game where the objective is to be the first team to Freeze (By Shooting/nading/meleeing) the whole enemy team.

Teams can defrost teammates by standing next to frozen teammates or by shooting an invisible beam at the frozen teammate.

WIP screen shots

A single frozen german player
ft_wip_01.jpg

A group of frozen germans
ft_wip_02.jpg

Delayed HUD messages showing who you thawed or were thawed by
ft_wip_03.jpg

A partially thawed team mate
ft_wip_04.jpg

Modified overhead map showing a frozen team mate as a snow flake
ft_wip_05.jpg

Lots left to do, but I enjoy it :)

Will probably have a look at CTF next or something else if I get the time.

Upvote 0
TE-Zapadnovka

TE-Zapadnovka

Here's a few shots of the combined arms (for now, anyway) map I've been working on. The village is based on Google Earth images of the village of Zapadnovka where the German 295th ID and Russian 187th RD fought on 31 August 1942. The Soviets will be defending and will have ample time to occupy their positions before the Germans initiate their assault. There will be lots of work for the German engineer class clearing obstacles.

I still have a ton of work ahead but the Kismet stuff all seems to work correctly which is what I tried to get right in the beginning. Now it's all just decorating and tweaking the terrain.

screenshot00007c.png

screenshot00011j.png

screenshot00012r.png

screenshot00014w.png

screenshot00017g.png

screenshot00027.png

screenshot00039r.png

Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
Looks interesting. How big will the map be compared to other maps and how does it run with all that grass? Framerates seem to be a bit low.

Right now the complete map measures about 1300M x 750M and the village is about 685M x 312M. The frame rate is pretty low right now but my plan is to pack it full of detail and then cut it back as I figure out what does and doesn't need to be there. There are already lots of places I don't need the grass to be so dense. Also, I don't have a great video card and even in-game my frame rate rarely gets above 40-45 fps.

Upvote 0
Cool, how did you find this village? Was it luck or did you find it's name somewhere? Just curious

Le0,
It was a little bit of both. Right around the time the game was released I started doing a bunch of reading about the battle. I got Beevor's "Armageddon in Stalingrad" and 2 of the 3 volumes in Glantz's Stalingrad series. I really just wanted to learn more about the battle in the city itself but when I got my hands on the SDK I became interrested in the battles west of the city, mostly because they provided enough room for real combined arms battles. And because we don't have any APC's yet, I looked for areas that were both small enough for dismounted infantry and large enough for tanks.

I was originally looking into a battle that was fought for a village called Borodkin but since the war, whatever village was there was torn down and now it's just a big farm (it was a State Farm during the war, too). So I started looking around on Google Earth for another village to use as a stand-in for Borodkin and found Zapadnovka. I worked on the Borodkin idea for about 2-3 weeks and it wasn't turning out like I'd hoped. Then I took a look in the indexes of the books I have and in Glantz's first volume there it was; Zapadnovka. There was a Wehrmact situation map, too, that showed the placement of forces just before the battle there so I even knew the German and Soviet units that were involved.

Upvote 0